Mike goes to the OC

Mike Zero

Hey all, this is my journal.

New start.

New strength.

New goals. (Wow, that didn't sound THAT corny in my head... :pfft:)

I am aiming to compete in the Sub-Junior (under 18 ), under 100kg 2008 Oceania Powerlifting Champs. I figure I have around 20 months until that time, and before then I'm aiming to go to smaller scale meets. The guys in my division that competed last year got 620kg and 460kg totals respectively. At the moment my total is somewhere above 460kg, hitting a 185kg deadlift last wednesday, a 180kg squat last friday and aiming to hit a 100kg bench tomorrow to kick off my new program, as follows:

Monday: DE Bench/Bench Assistance Day

8 reps x 2 sets, 5 reps x 2 sets - Bench Press

5 reps x 3 sets - Incline Bench Press

5 reps x 1 sets, 3 reps x 3 sets - Board Press

8 reps x 3 sets - Chin Ups

Tuesday: DE Squat/Squat Assistance Day

8 reps x 2 sets, 5 reps x 2 sets - Squat

8 reps x 3 sets - Leg Press

5 reps x 3 sets - Leg Curl

8 reps x 3 sets - Calf Raises

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: ME Deadlift Day

5 reps x 1 sets, 3 reps x 1 sets, 2 reps x 2 sets, 1 reps x 1 set - Deadlifts

8 reps x 3 sets - Concentration Curls /superset/ 10 reps x 3 sets - Incline Sit Ups

3 sets - Static Grip Strength OR 30 mins HIIT Farmer’s run (when possible)

Friday: ME Bench Day

3 reps x 2 sets, 2 reps x 2 set, 1 rep x 1 set - Bench Press

8 reps x 1 sets, 5 reps x 2 sets - Seated Cable Row

8 reps x 3 sets - Lying Dumbbell Rows

Saturday: ME Squat Day

3 reps x 2 sets, 2 reps x 2 set, 1 rep x 1 set - Squat

5 reps x 1 sets, 3 reps x 2 sets, 1 rep x 1 set - Shoulder Press/Military Press

8 reps x 3 sets - Upright Rows

3 sets - Rotator Cuff work

3 sets - Static Grip Strength OR 30 mins HIIT Farmer’s run (when possible)

Sunday:

Rest

Any things you see wrong with my program or anythings you feel should be done better please say. Also during the course of this journal watch out for my videos, I'll post them here as soon as I make them. :D

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddy, nice to see a WS routine here... quick ques.. theres only a couple of days rest after your max deadlift before max squat .

Are you going to recover fast enough ?

Also there is no direct assistance and supplemental day on your max effort days after the primary excercise ?

WS routine is always big on these.

Of course what works best for you works best, but at least in WS a Max Lower day has supplemental and assistance work for weakness.

For instance on squat day you may do squat as primary ex, followed by box squat for supplemental work and reverse hypers as assistance or similair.

Talk to Old Bull or Tonka.

Fight hard !

Bro, some more things.... leg curls and leg press have little carryover in terms of brute strenght for PLing.

They are more hypertrophic specific.

They will NOT have a direct carryover.. they will give you some hypertrophy and conditioning.

Use these ex's for your GPP circuits and maybe R.E. days.

For assistance and supplementals use:

Pause squats,

narrow squats

box squats to different heights

stiff legged deads

good mornings with variations.

rack deads

deads from a deficit

pull throughs

bb lunges

overhead squats

snatch grip deads

front squats

high trap placed back squat

bands + chains if you have access !

aslo go to powerhousegym.co.nz

look up old bulls training log over there.. youll get an idea of what me/de/gpp days look like.

check out http://www.pacificbarbenders.co.nz and look at what Tonka's journal looks like.. though be warned he's at a uber-advanced level and trying to imitate his workouts can be nearly fatal (from experience).

Also go to west side websites on elite fts and read the articles.. It took me nearly reading all of them to figure out a basic plan.. along with a lot of help from Tonka and OB.

If you can, find other ws lifters or other pl'ers to work with.

Day 1: Monday 16/04/2007

I maxed out my bench at 90kg... Not very happy about that. But a guy I train with thinks he can get it up quite a bit. And well, I believe him because there is a lot to improve on.

Incline Bench Press:

65 x 5 x 3

Block Press:

80 x 5 x 1

85 x 5 x 1

90 x 3 x 3

Dumbbell Shoulder Press:

26 x 4 x 3

I know I am good for a lot more on Block Press and especially Incline Bench Press. I just need to find my limits, which is hard because I'm often without a ready spot. Is including Shoulder Press on my Bench day worthwhile. Because I usually do the 26's x 10 and I'm wondering if my body will really react and grow a lot from it. Or is the idea just to polish them off?

Anyway I've taken a lot of advice in about my program. I'm going to work out it each day at a time as I do it (You probably noticed that I changed my program today due to some advice I got from another forum). But I'd just like to say a big thanks to Varven and also Old Bull (through PM's and another thread) from that help. You'll see the changes to my Light Squat workout tomorrow.

Also on another note, I was silly for calling my light workouts 'dynamic', because really, they aren't.

Dispite my (what I would call) crappy Bench today, I rest assure, I ain't going to stop until I'm the best. (Oh crap, my mouth is one big corn feild in'it :pfft:)

Day 2: Tuesday 17/04/2007

Squats:

140 x 8 x 3

Sled Hack Squats:

80 x 4 x 3

Leg Extension /superset/ Seated Calf Raises

35 x 8 x 3 /superset/ 30 x 8 x 3

I'm going to keep al my chit chat below what I did in my exercises just to make these posts a bit tidier. A couple of things I have to say: Firstly, I forgot how taxing high rep Squats are, MAN I was puffed by the end of them. I am so aerobically unfit. Secondly, I discovered the Leg Press/Sled at the gym turns into a Hack Squat/Sled. It's really pretty clever. As soon as I found out I bagged that exercise. But next time I'll up the weight and aim for 3 reps. I found out Leg Extension works on supporting your knees, so I'm doing it Trey Brewer-style :P (slow, isolating movement with two second pause at the top). My Seated Calf Raise is also a very slow movement.

Hey all, this is my journal.

New start.

New strength.

New goals. (Wow, that didn't sound THAT corny in my head... :pfft:)

lol2.gif I totally imagined a fade in/fade out image with each of those sentences in my head (I watch too many movies...)

Curious... what rotator cuff work do you do?

Have a read of this article on RC exercises: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

Right now I've done one of those and I'll work my way through them deciding which one feels the best/safest for me.

Day 3: Thursday 19/04/2007

Deadlift:

100 x 5 x 1

140 x 5 x 1

160 x 3 x 2

180 x 2 x 2

200 x 1 x 1 PR

Concentration Curls /superset/ Incline Sit Ups

13.5 x 12 x 1 /ss/ 12 x BW x 1

13.5 x 11 x 1 /ss/ 12 x BW + Medicine Ball x 1

13.5 x 8 x 1 /ss/ 12 x BW + Medicine Ball x 1

200kg DL!

That is sick improvement Mike! Your 1RM was 140kg at the start of the year... thats a 60kg improvement! nice.

qq... Did you use straps for the 200kg?

Yeah I did use straps... My grip is terrible, I am pretty sure that was what was holding my DL back at the start of the year. Yesterday I used the straps at 160, so after repping 140 - so it is getting stronger. Next week I'll do some just do some smith machine holds, or I'll do some towel pull-ups when I do my Lats, either today, tomorrow or the next. But still, ya gotta love them newbie gains. :D

I'm only going to do triples at minimum for DL from now on, I'm feeling a bit of pain in my lower back today. Next thurday 150 x 5 x 2 unstrapped then 170/175 x 3 x 3 strapped.

Day 4: Friday 20/04/2007

Bench Press:

60 x 10 x 1

70 x 5 x 1

80 x 3 x 1

85 x 2 x 2

92.5 x 1 x 1 PR? :evil:

Military Press:

60 x 3 x 3

65 x 1 x 1

Block Press:

90 x 3 x 3

A few notes for today:

Bench Press: I'm not going to count that as a PR... I asked a guy to spot me. Actually, I asked him to stand behind me and I'd tell him if I need a hand. So he decides to step forward and put his fingers on the bar. I'm pretty sure I had it and he told me it was "all me" but they all say that :roll:. Ah well, there's always next week.

Military Press: I would've done another rep of 65 but couldn't hit that clean...

My ME bench day is going to undergo some serious tweaking before next friday.

And thanks for the comment V, 5 plates will be awesome.

Day 5: Saturday 21/04/2007

Squats:

60 x 10 x 1

100 x 5 x 1

140 x 3 x 1

160 x 3 x 2

170 x 1 x 1

180 x 1 x 1

/anger. I did some recording for you guys/gals today... And for myself so I could see my own form when I go heavy. At 170 I was going to pump out two reps, but the bar was oddly positioned so I left at one and was going to go for 2 next set. Them this ex-cop I know from way back came into the gym at a timely time so I decided to go for the 4 plater and asked him to spot me. He's like "I hope you're going to go all the way down :roll:". Anyway so I'm telling him how to spot me, ie stand back and I'll tell you if I need your help kinda thing. Meanwhile, I start the footage. Not until after I hit 180 unassisted did I realise I only pressed the record button once, when you need to hit it twice (once to get out of the screen saver mode and another to start recording). I was gutted... Gutted that I couldn't show you guys my 4 plater. Not so much that I couldn't see my form because it felt better than my 170.

But it made the guy (who really is a good guy) go into shock, haha. He thought I was going to get owned or go 1/2 an inch down. So yeah, there's a silver lining to every cloud. Except in this case their could've been two silver linings and no cloud if it WEREN'T FOR MY F*CKING CAMERA, YEAH I'M LOOKING AT YOU :x.

It's actually the worst camera ever. I'm going to have to download some converter thing because it's output is MOV videos, too. And I seriously doubt I will get a good one for free. They'll either give me a 3 second trial or watermark a big nob onto my video until I pay a large fee.

Yeah so I've gone off into one of my ramblings again so enough of that. PWO shake => shower => video.

Day 5: Saturday 21/04/2007

Squats:

60 x 10 x 1

100 x 5 x 1

140 x 3 x 1

160 x 3 x 2

170 x 1 x 1

180 x 1 x 1

/anger. I did some recording for you guys/gals today... And for myself so I could see my own form when I go heavy. At 170 I was going to pump out to reps, but the bar was oddly positioned so I left at one and was going to go for 2 next set. Them this ex-cop I know from way back came into the gym at a timely time so I decided to go for the 4 plater and asked him to spot me. He's like "I hope you're going to go all the way down :roll:". Anyway so I'm telling him how to spot me, ie stand back and I'll tell you if I need your help kinda thing. Meanwhile, I start the footage. Not until after I hit 180 unassisted did I realise I only pressed the record button once, when you need to hit it twice (once to get out of the screen saver mode and another to start recording). I was gutted... Gutted that I couldn't show you guys my 4 plater. Not so much that I couldn't see my form because it felt better than my 170.

But it made the guy (who really is a good guy) go into shock, haha. He thought I was going to get owned or go 1/2 an inch down. So yeah, there's a silver lining to every cloud. Except in this case their could've been two silver linings and no cloud if it WEREN'T FOR MY F*CKING CAMERA, YEAH I'M LOOKING AT YOU :x.

It's actually the worst camera ever. I'm going to have to download some converter thing because it's output is MOV videos, too. And I seriously doubt I will get a good one for free. They'll either give me a 3 second trial or watermark a big nob onto my video until I pay a large fee.

Yeah so I've gone off into one of my ramblings again so enough of that. PWO shake => shower => video.

Hehe, nice rant! Camera or no camera.. well done on the 180kg squat :shock: clap.gif

I downloaded a free converter off the net, and it was actually pretty good - (converting 3GPP into WMA), it cost something like $59.95 but let you have a free trial of 20 conversions before buying :pfft: Have you tried a search through google?

Day 7: Tuesday 24/04/07

Squats:

140 x 8 x 3

Hack Squats:

100 x 3 x 1

110 x 2 x 2

Sister had to use the car so I couldn't do anymore, at least I got the important stuff in. I need a good exercise for the posterior chain. One that doesn't use the back TOO much (deads on thurs) and I don't have anywhere to do GHRs.

Nice work with the squat video! I don't see anything wrong with your form or depth... hopefully one of the experienced squatters can chime in incase I've missed something. But well done! cool_shades.gif

I need a good exercise for the posterior chain. One that doesn't use the back TOO much (deads on thurs) and I don't have anywhere to do GHRs.

You can do them on the lat pulldown machine if you've got one... and just use a broom handle or something similarly light to spot?

I tried doing GHRs on the pulldown machine but it really hurt my knees, I dunno though, that broomstick sounds like a good idea for assistance. Just thinking about it now... Maybe I could fold up a towel a lot and put it on the seat so my knees don't feel like they are being ground away. Oh! Oh! Oh! I could use the Lat pulldown machine as assistance! Brilliant.

I would love to do box squats. It's just... I don't have a box. Sounds pretty silly but my gym hardly caters for powerlifters. There's only 10 20kg plates, no 25's or nothin. The squat rack is too wide for a proper olympic bar. There's only one useable Olympic Bar. There is no power rack. The benches are narrow and give little shoulder support. The wider benches are too soft and have no rack. There's only one thing I can use as a block, and no place to do floor presses safely. The pullup bar is really low. The dumbbells jump from 28kg to 41kg and then from 41kg to about 50kg.

I don't know about good mornings. With my dodgey back and all. I think I read the further away the weight is in those sorts of exercise, the greater the chance of injury. Plus I don't want something that works my back or my legs as too much of a support group because of how close my Squat and Dead day are.

Also I think I have to focus on sitting back more into my squat.