newbie needs help!!! Plz!!!

caramelkiss

Hi, all,

:) i am really really new to this site, i was linked here from google search.

Im very glad to be a member. :D

Anyway, to get to the point, here is my brief profile. Im a gal, 21, about 168cm, 62kg (sounds okay, mainly bcos of all fat no muscles) , i bet my body fat is over 30% or maybe 40%+ (my diet mainly buildup with junkies)

i hated PE class since i was in primary school, never actively wanted to do any kind of sports. ive been skinny for yrs. But since turned to 20, i suddenly began to put on weight, i used to be 40kg, since then i struggled with lossing weight and binge eating. Ive tried some pills, none of then worked, i understand diet is the most important thing. i failed again and again.

three weeks ago, after realising that everyone around me plays sports and seen so many ppl having perfect shapes like celebs, i finally decided to join the gym again. i swear i wont end up been there less than five times a year like i did last time. :oops:

to my supprise, i dont hate it at all. Maybe bcos of real motivation. lol I love it, never ever believed that i could do this.

Now im doing 40min to 1hr cardio a day, mostly bike. Random level 5, about 13km/30mins. I do some weights, sit ups, legs&arms.

Okay, heres the question. I cant cut bk junk food, especially cookies, i eat 400g at a time, im so addicted to them. The only thing i wish is to workout and burn them. I dont mind workout more, i jst cant follow the diet. I normally dont eat meat, only eggs and fish. i eat plenty of fruit and veggies as well. But the most thing i eat is carbs. Anyone give me suggestions about effective pills? im currently taking Tripple action by NFC, (anyone heard of this? ) Seems i gonna fail again, :( :cry: :cry: it doesnt work!! I know i dont trust any of those commercial weight loss pills, but i still keep trying, (such an idiot i know) :evil: :x

Another thing is if i eat the same amount, will i gain weight bcos of faster metabolism after workout? :roll: :(

Thank you soooooooooo much for ur patient , sorry for letting you read this long. and hopefully ive made it clear :wink:

hey caramelkiss,

so what exactly is your goal? Just to loose fat?

Sounds like your going pretty hard with your 40min - 1 hr cardio each day.

But, as you said with fat loose it is mainly diet.

400g cookies are not exactly a recommend for daily consumption... but if your only doing it once or twice a week it shouldnt be too much of a big deal.

I know what its like to pig out... I went through a phase of eatting a 9 pack of 185g cookietimes in one sitting once or twice a week (thats over 1.5kg of cookies).

I am weak willed and cant resist acting on my impluses... my moto is, do what you want all the time and you will be happy.

So with your 'diet' just eat what you like*. You didnt like going to the gym untill a while back right? So I recommend trying new foods and meals that are relatively healthy untill you find one you like...

and with regard to exercise (not my words) high intensity resistance training followed by high intensity cardio 10sec - 2min bursts with 30sec rests should yeild the best fat loss results.

Good luck with your goals.

Hi Caramel. I don't think you're going to find any supplement that will let you eat tons of rubbish and still make the progress on your physique you want to. The only way is to not eat tons of rubbish in the first place. Sorry - I know that's not what you want to hear!

Having said that, you don't necessarily have to cut out everything good - you're still allowed a few little treats! The trick is timing... For instance, one cookie (note the singular!) after a workout will do less damage than just binging at a time when you're sedentary.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but a faster metabolism will mean you burn through more calories faster, and makes it easier to lose weight.

You MUST sort the diet out, otherwise you will not see the results from going to the gym and give up. I have seen that happen so many times, all those fat loss pills are no good unless you are on a balanced diet.

Post up a typical days diet and we can try to help

Hey Caramel sorry to hear your not so happy at the moment, I have a few suggestions.

1. You haven't mentioned if you have seen a doctor or not so I will assume you haven't. I could be way off base but you be suffering from diabetes or a low thyroid? Just a possibility......get it cheched out you can't be to carefull.

2. Now that you have started in the gym I would suggest that you weight sessions focus around the basic lifts, Squats, Bench press, Shlrd press, Dumbell rows or bent over barbell rows (yes even for a girl). You will need to start of with the weights low at the moment but that won't matter, start off as light as you need to and the weight will come with time. If you need help working out a good programme ask the guys here for one they will sort you out. The reason for suggesting these lifts is that they will put the most muscle on you and burn the most calories off as well. Remember as you lean muscle mass increases you body fat percentage will fall. So when you are lifting weights focus on putting on muscle and for the moment I would suggest working in the 8-12 rep range and keep the intensity up a high as you can. And don't worry you won't put on too much muscle it just doesn't happen that easy.

3. I'm not an expert on cardio but I believe it would be beneficial to build some intensity into that as well. For instince when you are cycling sprint one out of every 5 minutes that you are on the bike then recover for the next 4.

4. With your diet it sounds like it is a real struggle for you. Now that you are working out you will probable see some improvements over time even if you diet doesn't change, it's just that it will take longer and you will only get to a level that is reflective of your diet. A couple of things that you could try is to try a few alternatives even if you only change one thing each week. The protein bakery in wellington make protein cookies and they are awesone and good for you, google them! Try switching to some sugar free drinks and add some water in as well. I think that if you make a couple of changes and work hard in the gym you will see some results and that will give you the motivation to make some more changes.

I hope that was help full keep us all informed of you progress :wink:

Thk u so much for ur replies guys, THX, heaps!

Now i confirmed that diet is my real problem.

i eat junkies late nite, i wont binge at day time. i dont drink fizzy drinks, only water! I love veggies and fruit, i eat plenty of them , of cos as well as junk foods. I just cant get rid of my High Carb diet. Ive tried some carb blocker pills a while ago, my try it again soon, any suggestions? I do want to take diet pills, PLZ advise!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS, in terms of the faster metabolism, i was about to ask whether this will result in faster and better absorption? :roll: :roll:

another question regarding 2 workout, sorry, :roll: squat and leg press , are they work the same way? how many squats should i do every day?

Oh yeah, and the cardio, rower or bike , which is better for fat loss , which is better for trimming thighs???

Any help would b appreciated!!

You will have to try and get rid of the junk food. Try and do it gradually and see if you can cope with it. All the cookies and high carb stuff try and avoid that late at night and try to have it during the day. If you pig out on a packet of biscuits either buy smaller packs or only eat half a pack. Hopefully that way you will start to become accustomed to not eating as much sugar. I guess it's like trying to stop smoking, cut back little by little and then stop instead of going cold turkey.

im currently taking Tripple action by NFC, (anyone heard of this? )

Not Slimfast Triple Action from NFS??

You need to kick that to the curb pronto.

Slimfast has BZP in it which once you stop taking, will leve you with nasty nasty withdrawal symptoms.

In this case I would suggest following the Body for Life programme.

Use the money you'd spend on diet pills and go and buy the Body for Life book from Warehouse or Whitcoulls.

It has diet tips and samples, work-out samples and generally excellent advice for those wanting to get fit.

Basic Principles

1. High-intensity cardio in the morning. 15 minutes instead of 40 minutes and is more effective at fat-burning.

2. Eating every 2.5 hours, protein and carbs. By eating this balance on a regular basis, you never get hungry and your junkfood cravings are reduced.

3. One day off a week! You can pick a day where you can eat whatever you want. You must stick to only one day though. This eases the body off junkfood but also reassures it that it's not starving itself.

Now i confirmed that diet is my real problem.

i eat junkies late nite, i wont binge at day time. i dont drink fizzy drinks, only water! I love veggies and fruit, i eat plenty of them , of cos as well as junk foods. I just cant get rid of my High Carb diet. Ive tried some carb blocker pills a while ago, my try it again soon, any suggestions? I do want to take diet pills, PLZ advise!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There's no pills, tablets or caps that are gonna fast track your progress. A good carb blocker = not putting the carbs in your mouth in the first place. Its good that you've recognised that your diet needs to change, but you have to realise that supplements aren't going to do the work for you.

I think you're depriving yourself of food during the day, and this is making you binge at night. Can you list what you're eating? You eat plenty of veggies and fuit.. define plenty? Are you getting in any protein or good fats during the day?

Hi good to hear that you have made the first step, which is realizing that you need to change something. Speaking from experience if you can make a go of changing your diet and adding gym in it will make the biggest difference in your life I PROMISE! And once you see the changes it will be what cookies... I had been going to the gym 2 years without changing my diet it did help but it is not enough - have a look at http://www.horleys.co.nz/Promotion.aspx my story, diet and exercise is there. Since the pics there I have lost another 18kg and done a body building comp. Keep junk for one day a week only, and dont go OTT. You have to find something inside yourself to use as motivation, it really is a mental battle and once you have that won it is 10X easier.

Don't give up because it seems to hard, there is nothing quite like the motivation you get from someone telling you that you look like a different person than the last time they saw you.

im currently taking Tripple action by NFC, (anyone heard of this? )

Not Slimfast Triple Action from NFS??

You need to kick that to the curb pronto.

Slimfast has BZP in it which once you stop taking, will leve you with nasty nasty withdrawal symptoms.

yes, slimfast. I was told that the amount of BZP is way less than those party pills, and it wont be a problem at all. Is it ture?

PS, in terms of intensity, how to judge it ? i mean is there any guidline. For me, i can only bike on Level 5 for 13Km per 30 mins, or say the rowing machine, Resistence 7, 4000Km 30mins. Can this be counted as medium intensity ?

Another thing, is 60mins better than 2x30mins with a 3-5mins cooldown/rest in between? :roll: :roll: :roll:

And the squat and leg press question, could anyone help??

Again, im very grateful for all your advice!!! thx :)

yes, slimfast. I was told that the amount of BZP is way less than those party pills, and it wont be a problem at all. Is it ture?

Not really - Slimfast has 60mg of BZP per capsule and is designed to be used on a daily basis. Most dance pills have around 60 to 200mg of BZP per capsule and were designed to be used once every two or 3 weeks. When party pills were first released about 7 years ago they only had about 20-40mg of BZP in them so Slimfast is pretty strong by all accounts. Slimfast should have been removed from the market a long time ago due to the potential negative side effects on the central nervous system. I certainly wouldn't want to be using 60mg of BZP everyday for a month. The reason it hasn't been working for you is because you're still eating bad food.

There's no use using a carb blocker of a fat burner if you're not going to bother sorting out your diet properly. As soon as you stop using them you'll put the weight back on as you won't have actually made any longterm lifestyle changes. Sort the diet out and training out first. If you really want to lose weight go see a nutritionist and pay for a decent diet plan.

PS, in terms of intensity, how to judge it ? i mean is there any guideline. For me, i can only bike on Level 5 for 13Km per 30 mins, or say the rowing machine, Resistence 7, 4000Km 30mins. Can this be counted as medium intensity ?

Sorry should've explained it.

It's high intensity interval training, eaning you alternate between going fast and going slow rather than just going medium for 30 minutes.

There's an excellent workout plan here.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

Follow it from left to right and apply the 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off to whatever machine you want to use.

The most important point though? Don't eat for an hour once you've finished. Hard to do, but it makes all the difference.

another question regarding 2 workout, sorry, squat and leg press , are they work the same way? how many squats should i do every day?

Squating will use more muscle groups than the leg press will, so it will burn more energy. Try doing squats three days a week and do around 3-4 sets each time, you could do it like this as an example;

40kg - 15reps

45kg - 12reps

50kg - 10reps should be challenging

55kg - 8reps should be very challenging

the weights are just hypothetical. If you are working out every day do the leg press on the other days.

Thx you so much!!

I will try to get rid of junk food gradually. At the moment, im thinking doing some excersice is better than doing nothing, even i dont change my diet, rite?

I normally do leg press and squat with swissball. For the leg press, i only do 3x15 36kg. is it too light???

Im thinking can i eat peanuts and lite ice-cream??? Is lite ice-cream better than wholemeal/multi-grain bread, chips, and cookies? And how about corn chips ? and yeah, plain crackers?

PS, i dont eat straight after workout, i only binge late at nite. I also eat plenty of fruit and veggies, i mean plenty. Like at least two apples, 300g frozen peas, or sometimes 1/4 cabbage. Unfortunately, after these healthy food, i still hv room for junk food. I dont hate any kind of food, except i have no strong feelings on meat!! :roll:

cheers :)

Eating too much late at night is one of the worst... as you charge your body up with carbs that as you rest it will not burn but will all to easily store. If you were to binge before 2pm in the afternoon would be better. I do agree with you that going hard at the gym and not changing you diet would be better than sitting around and eating badly. But be prepared to have very slow results that will stop at a certain point. I went to the gym for 18 months without changing my diet and went from 33% body fat to 26% but my wight stayed the same and I couldn't get below 26%. But also changing Diet got me under 10% in less than 6 months.

hey mate

i know where you are coming from have done it before and packed it all back on and am now trying to lose it all again.

you have to set yourself small goals and commit to achieving them. I weighed myself every morning and if i didnt notice a change then it would make me go harder that day and would show me that the little piece of cake i had the day before was bad :)

Once you get over the first few weeks and start to see results then youll be hooked. Agree with the one day a week junk food plan. Not over the top but treat yourself. Just make sure the rest of the week is perfect.

Have you had any gym exprience. If not then i would do a circuit on the machine's at your gym. For a beginner free weights are to hard. Use the machine's but do high reps with little rests. Keep your heart rate up. Push yourself with weights to. Dont be a nana. Make it count

Good luck

I hope this helps abit.