Jump to content

Death from a Power Cut


poos_n_wees

Recommended Posts

Did anyone catch this on the news a few days ago?

Death from a Power Cut

Literally made me feel sick when I heard about it sadcry.gif Everyone's pointing the finger at someone else. Mercury Energy claims the contractor that was sent out to their house was unaware of the situation, yet the family is adamant he was told but basically said there was nothing he could do about the impending cut.

taz.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly!

But what gets me is that there were so many ways this death could've been avoided. Couldn't the family move her next door? Ask family members to help out financially and pay them back later? Heck, even get a few extensions cords to next door?? And don't get me started on Mercury Energy. Bureaucracy at its censor.gif'ing worst fire.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too also wonder why the family didn't take other alternative means.

but yeah there should be some sort of corporate law estsbalished here so companies like Mercury be held accountable and we don't see things like this repeated in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume it was a less serious situation than the family had thought. Otherwise they would've done something about it, i.e. plug it in next door, call an ambulance etc. etc. etc. But since that machine had an alarm on it, it gets you wondering how the family could not do something about it. Maybe the plan was to be like "Alright, you unplug it and I'll get sick, then we get money" and it backfired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hospital could have been an option??

Surely she didn't just up and die just like that - there must have been warning signs that something wasn't right that would have warranted an ambulance call...

I agree the machine was only a once in a while ai to her breathing, not to be relied on. I'm sure they aren't blaming the amulance they called for not getting there soon enough. pick on the big SOE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO

I definately agree with Phantomb that mecury or contractor shouldnt take the blame...

I bet the contractors hear all sorts of excuses why they shouldnt disconnect the power...

I mean where do you draw the line? If she made it clear that she would loose control of her legs if the power went out should the credit continue to be extended then? How about if she was just going to loose a foot.... how about a toe .... how about her toe nail.... how about the colour of her toe nail...

Im just trying to make a point. but yeah I feel sorry for the contractor... There are always going to be consquences with power being cut off its not the contractor or Mecurcys fault or problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO

I definately agree with Phantomb that mecury or contractor shouldnt take the blame...

I bet the contractors hear all sorts of excuses why they shouldnt disconnect the power...

I mean where do you draw the line? If she made it clear that she would loose control of her legs if the power went out should the credit continue to be extended then? How about if she was just going to loose a foot.... how about a toe .... how about her toe nail.... how about the colour of her toe nail...

Im just trying to make a point. but yeah I feel sorry for the contractor... There are always going to be consquences with power being cut off its not the contractor or Mecurcys fault or problem.

I think he shares some of the responsibility though. however I do find helen clark's remarks to be very childish to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He shares responsibility for the failure of the oxygen machine, something which could've happened in a variety of equally likely ways.

But why was he there? Because they didn't pay the bill!.

You'd think if Mum was dependant on the machine for LIFE then you would make damn sure the bill was paid and the power stayed on.

Negligence negligence negligence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He shares responsibility for the failure of the oxygen machine, something which could've happened in a variety of equally likely ways.

But why was he there? Because they didn't pay the bill!.

You'd think if Mum was dependant on the machine for LIFE then you would make damn sure the bill was paid and the power stayed on.

Negligence negligence negligence.

thats true but regardless he still bears some responsibility. He could have gone back and consulted with the company about such a situation before he cut off the power seeing the women in the condition she was in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He shares responsibility for the failure of the oxygen machine, something which could've happened in a variety of equally likely ways.

But why was he there? Because they didn't pay the bill!.

You'd think if Mum was dependant on the machine for LIFE then you would make damn sure the bill was paid and the power stayed on.

Negligence negligence negligence.

thats true but regardless he still bears some responsibility. He could have gone back and consulted with the company about such a situation. and whether or not it could have happened in a variety of equally likely ways is not the issue. so to sum it up he is partly to blame for this incident, and no doubt the family as well.

He's about as much to blame as the person who sells KFC to someone who chokes to death on a chicken bone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He shares responsibility for the failure of the oxygen machine, something which could've happened in a variety of equally likely ways.

But why was he there? Because they didn't pay the bill!.

You'd think if Mum was dependant on the machine for LIFE then you would make damn sure the bill was paid and the power stayed on.

Negligence negligence negligence.

thats true but regardless he still bears some responsibility. He could have gone back and consulted with the company about such a situation. and whether or not it could have happened in a variety of equally likely ways is not the issue. so to sum it up he is partly to blame for this incident, and no doubt the family as well.

He's about as much to blame as the person who sells KFC to someone who chokes to death on a chicken bone.

not quite the analogy. While the person who sells the KFC couldn't do anything other than sell the stuff, the contractor could have acted differently seeing the women's condition. Its really shameful to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The weird thing about this story is that her oxygen machine was only to be for assistance and wasn't a life support machine. Someone from the hospital stated that if her life depended on the oxygen machine then she would still be in hospital. You have to wait for the coroners report to see what the cause of death was. She may of died of something not related to the condition requiring the machine.

Also one of the sons is at least twenty years old if he was happy to sit there at home and not call the ambulance because his mum said not to then he is as stupid as they come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more thought.

The woman eschewed the Hospitals prescribed medication in favour of traditional Samoan healing.

How much did this cost her? Had she stayed on the original medication would she have then had the funds to pay the power bill?

Of course, had she stayed on the medication it wouldn't have mattered if the power had gone on the oxygen machine, she would've simply had trouble breathing from time to time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more thought.

The woman eschewed the Hospitals prescribed medication in favour of traditional Samoan healing.

How much did this cost her? Had she stayed on the original medication would she have then had the funds to pay the power bill?

Of course, had she stayed on the medication it wouldn't have mattered if the power had gone on the oxygen machine, she would've simply had trouble breathing from time to time.

Traditional samoan healing is usually in the form of prayer.. so it's pretty much free. The Manukau Courier says the family had immigrated from Samoa, so who knows how little or how much knowledge they had about community health assistance, CPR etc. I would think though - that whoever had provided her with the oxygen machine would've given instructions on who to contact if they had problems with the machine not working etc - troubleshooting stuff.

I feel really badly for the contractor that was sent to this house as well.. I can't imagine what she/he'd be going through right now! And its pretty funny how the politicians are all putting the boot in :roll:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Popular Contributors

    Nobody has received reputation this week.

×
×
  • Create New...