you know what F&%$S me off?

haydz0r

is it just me or does everyone always continually cut you down and make excuses for why you will never get there?

example 1, "hey dad, im going to do bodybuilding" .. "son, you dont want to be a boof head, and do you know how much food they have to eat?"

example 2, "oh hey dennis my friend, im going to do bodybuilding" .. "youll never do that, your too lazy bro and whats wrong with your current body?"

or

example 3, "hey thur girlfriend, what would you think if i looked like this?" .. "eww thats disgusting, i hope you dont do that, your not planning to do that are you?"

its like FFS! its not only with bodybuilding that this kind of thing happens with..

"i wanna do well in schoool" -> your dumb, you cant do well in school.

"i want to save up and get a car" -> then you need a job and that takes too much effort.. ill give you a ride if you wanna go somewhere

i think this is called tall poppy syndrome? anywhos

tell me about your experiences with this and how you combat it without getting angry and making people bleed from there face.

tell me about your experiences with this and how you combat it without getting angry and making people bleed from there face.

I think there is half your problem there. Don't let any criticism affect you and you'll find the critics leave you alone. Rise above it!

I fucken hate it when you tell someone that your a bodybuilder and their reply is : "Why do you do that for, are you insecure?"

Ive been asked that so many times it makes me wana bunch whoeva asked me in da face :evil: :evil: :evil: (thats a joke BTW)

Wait, some people might think I'm insecure!? :shock:

... :pfft:

I think there is half your problem there. Don't let any criticism affect you and you'll find the critics leave you alone. Rise above it!

how do i rise above it? i just get so angry, it really gets to me because if they tell me it enough i start to believe me, its like their life goal is to watch me fail lol

Man, you've touched on a big pet peeve of mine. shutup2.gif

Bodybuilding's sort of like one of those underground practices -- most of the public (which includes family & friends) don't really understand the sport. What they perceive as 'bodybuilding' is what they see in the media, which is usually the drugged-up huge mass monsters. The local comps are far from that, and once they see an actual competition, I think they sort of start seeing it differently.

Being female and wanting to get into the sport is a thousand times worse. You just smile and agree when they say obnoxious things like "muscley girls look gross" or "might wanna take some weight off that bar, you don't wanna start looking like a man now ha ha ha haaaa". 93c7ce15.gif

I'd rather poke myself in the eye than stand there and explain all the finer details between the male and female hormones. When ppl ask what I'm training for, I usually just say rugby. Bit of a cop-out, but I can't be bothered explaining myself, then end up upset about it.

When ppl ask what I'm training for, I usually just say rugby. Bit of a cop-out, but I can't be bothered explaining myself, then end up upset about it.

this is exactly same as me, except i say i just go gym for fun. its realitivly easy to pick out whos out to put u down or the ppl who are actaukly interested

how do i rise above it? i just get so angry, it really gets to me because if they tell me it enough i start to believe me, its like their life goal is to watch me fail lol

Why worry about what others think? I'm sure Ronnie and Jay don't...mate if you start to believe what they say then you've lost before you even start.

NZ is entrenched deeply in the Tall Poppy Syndrome, or more simply put we are a Nation of knockers. Denny Hulme (motor racing great) once said NZ is like a flat lawn with 3 million blades of grass. If one blade grows taller than the rest, the others get out the lawnmower and chop it back to everyone else's size. You'll come across it in all walks of life, so get used to it.

Why fail just because you think others want you to? It's not an option.

yeah this sort of thing is so dang common. But dont let it get to you, like everyones said above 'you've lost before you've even started'

Personally i use this to fuel me, there is nothing better than proving to someone who thought you couldnt do it, and shoving it back in their face with your well chiseled and sculpted arms haha.

I have people close to me ask why i was doing sculpting and i said cos iv always wanted to, they couldnt grasp or understand why id put my body and my mind through it and didnt believe i could and im going to feel nothing but pure satisfaction when i step up on stage on the final day! :nod:

Throughout life you'll get people who will put you down all over the show to make themselves feel better, whether it be out of ignorance or just plain C*NTYNESS, but if you use it to push you that bit harder, you'll rock in every aspect of life, and even be surprised at how much more you can lift/push in the gym when your thinking bout this too!

Haha yer .. i have found that too..

its just the way it is.. you have to find like minded people to be around that will bring you up not down..

I generally just keep it to myself and if people want to know somthing about you or what you are doing you tell them.. buts its not there right to judge as they asked you... where as when you tell them, your asking for there opionion...

Just do what you want to do and don't take what other people say personality its just an opinion...

Personally if people don't like it then.. sweet just let it go.. rise above..

I tend to take things personally when its about things im passionate about... im still learning how to deal with the negitive that is around...

Just dont get sucked into it all... you will come out more sucessful if you do what you want to do...

I found this cool as profile thingy on my mates myspace.. This chick is going hard ay..

A mysterious Polish girl, born and raised in nz.. Only god can judge me..perfection is not reality for those guys who want a stepfford wife think again its not reality and not happening! No one is perfect although you can always bring out the best of yourself and survive in this unpredictable world ..you didnt hear anything through the grapevine dont believe everything ya hear if u must face that person with honesty you shall resolve the truth.be true to yourself and others, honesty is the key to succeed in life(unless ur a bloody good con-artist).trust noone to an extent, talk is cheap and is just a sound of words..keep it real yal lifes too short to play it the wrong way.everyone has talents and potential, make the most of life..dont sit back n wait for good things to come to you, it doesnt happen all the time, hardwork has its rewards.time doesnt wait for noone, so what are you waiting for? do it, live it, don't just dream it!

Cya dude

Oh my gosh I totally understand ... I get it all the time!

I pretty much lost all my old 'friends' who werent' gym people cause I lost commonality with them (I don't drink anymore).

People used to ask me what I was training for and I used to just say "ME!"

But now everybody know's and has seen that I have the sticking power to do it once ... although once is never enough, I'll just continue. The coolest thing was that my mum and Dad came to watch my competition and now they understand and are so supportive of my 'SPORT'.

As for the why? question: Hard one, I don't know why, I've always wanted to do it, it's a challenge, I enjoy the way I feel and look, setting goals and working towards them keep me happy and focused ...

Answer to why? Cause I want to.

• 4 weeks later...

To non bodybuilding types we are very strange lot. I get similar experinces to what has been said here, especially when it comes to no drinking, my mates keep saying i'm anti social and need to go out get drunk and score women which these days is the last thing i wanna do. Even people at the gym think i'm crazy because of the intensity i train at, one guy in particular finds it vulgar how hard i train.

But at the end of the day like some one previous said, you gotta just shrug of the critism and keep pumping hard.

especially when it comes to no drinking, my mates keep saying i'm anti social and need to go out get drunk and score women which these days is the last thing i wanna do.

one fo these nites is good every now and then in my opinon anyway, u dnt wanna be obsessed with it. the way i se it is im still 20 so i gotta have a good time too, all my mates get wasted everyweekend but once every couple of months for me, it aint gonna effect my results and training

one fo these nites is good every now and then in my opinon anyway, u dnt wanna be obsessed with it. the way i se it is im still 20 so i gotta have a good time too, all my mates get wasted everyweekend but once every couple of months for me, it aint gonna effect my results and training

I am the same, once in a while I will go out for a big night but most of the time i would rather wake up feeling good in the morning than a hungover mess.

especially when it comes to no drinking, my mates keep saying i'm anti social and need to go out get drunk and score women which these days is the last thing i wanna do.

Same with my mates but I'm about once a month aye, that's a crappy downside but it's worth it.

To non bodybuilding types we are very strange lot. I get similar experinces to what has been said here, especially when it comes to no drinking, my mates keep saying i'm anti social and need to go out get drunk and score women which these days is the last thing i wanna do. Even people at the gym think i'm crazy because of the intensity i train at, one guy in particular finds it vulgar how hard i train.

But at the end of the day like some one previous said, you gotta just shrug of the critism and keep pumping hard.

Dammm Straight !