STRAPS

ohjoshua

I use straps on my heavier sets. After all, I'm training back, not my grip strength.

I know the theory is that if you don't use straps (even if you struggle), your grip will eventually get strong enough that you don't need them but I can always lift heavier while using straps with no chance of my hands slipping even slightly.

So if I can deadlift 200kgs only with straps, it's not worth doing them?

No I wouldn’t say it’s not worth doing them but it may be worth while strengthening your forearms/grip so you don’t have to

There’s an old saying…Cured the symptoms killed by the disease

IMO it all depends on what you are training for. Personally, as a bodybuilder (vs a powerlifter) I feel that using straps is sometimes essential with heavy back training as without straps your grip on the bar is likely to go well before your back has fully fatigued.

Sure, strenthening your grip and forearms is important, but not as important as fully taxing your back, given the vast difference in their respective sizes.

I use straps with built in metal hooks. They look a bit gimmicky but I find them essential for heavy back training as I can virtually hang the bar, dumbell or handles of a machine off the hooks with a very loose grip. This allows me to focus fully on "loading" and stressing the back during the exercise, rather than having the arms taking over too much.

No I wouldn’t say it’s not worth doing them but it may be worth while strengthening your forearms/grip so you don’t have to

There’s an old saying…Cured the symptoms killed by the disease

I understand what you're saying. The thing is my hands are munted from 5 years of heavy deadlifting. I can lift 200kg with chalk, but my hands get so torn up that I feel them for the next 4-5 days. Because of the I use straps for all of my back exercises now.

IMO it all depends on what you are training for. Personally, as a bodybuilder (vs a powerlifter) I feel that using straps is sometimes essential with heavy back training as without straps your grip on the bar is likely to go well before your back has fully fatigued.

Sure, strenthening your grip and forearms is important, but not as important as fully taxing your back, given the vast difference in their respective sizes.

bump ^_^

As I suspected straps are popular...

But (no offence) quite suprised on andrews opinion.

I personally believe its worth the pain and scrafice of the back workout.

As Mastertel said "vast differance in size of body parts" This is true but... 135kg double over hand DL is my best grip/lift (im saving the standard split DL grip for when I can increase the Kg's). My grip only needed 'up grades' less then once a month.

So I think its worth it.

Plus isnt it cool to be able to crush things with your hands? he he.