MZ's Workout Journal

Mike Zero

:grin:

I decided I'll do this (Yeah, I say that now but I bet in a few weeks this thread will be non-exsistant :pfft: ). About midway through last year though I did record all my lifts in Excel but I got bored of doing it so that came to a screeching halt.

A little bit about me. I'm 16, 86 kilo, 5 foot 11. I've been lifting since December 2005, where my instructure put me on teh newbie plan of many sets of bicep curls and whatnot. But I geuss it was alright in phasing me into it as I was teh newbie. Slacked off May/June but came back with more knowledge and a better plan.

Basically my current plan consists of doing 5 exercises, twice a week, split up into four sessions. They are: Squats, Bench, Deads, Chins and Military. But I think I've made up my mind and decided I'm going to do Chins every day to really hit my Lats as they are my weak point. My days are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I train at the Motueka Recreational Centre Gym.

Any critique would be greatly appeciate.

Tuesday 09/01/2007

Deadlifts.

I'd been looking forward to this so much - maxing out my Deadlifts. At the moment I rep 110kg. Last month my 1rm was 125.

110 x 1

115 x 1

120 x 1

125 x 1

130 x 1 (this felt awesome, bloody demons)

135 x 1

140 x 1 (took me two attempts)

145 (four attempts and nothing)

Chins.

86 (bodyweight) x 6

86 x 4

86 x 3

Military Press.

52 x 4

52 x 3

52 x 1 (non-assisted reps, this nice tongan guy came over and spotted me so I could hit two more reps).

110 x 1

115 x 1

120 x 1

125 x 1

130 x 1 (this felt awesome, bloody demons)

135 x 1

140 x 1 (took me two attempts)

145 (four attempts and nothing)

Niiiiiiiiiice work thumb.gif

Hey Mike, great to see you starting a journal :grin: I too was put on teh noobie plan of many bicep curls and butt blaster reps when I first started out wavesad.gif

So you're just focusing on squats, deads, bench & chins? Do you do any assistance work as well? Training goals?

Well those four and Military pretty much do the whole body. I'm thinking of adding in an isolation day though.

My goals are just to lift big, heh. I love what I do so I just do it. I geuss you could say I'm training for rugby but that's not what I think when I go to the gym. I just love it :D. I also might try to get on the stage next summer, but I dunno whether that's a realistic goal or not. But one things for sure, whether or not I do, I'll still be working my arse off at the gym!

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by assistance work.

Good stuff Mike. We'll try to keep you updating this journal regularly! ;)

Just a couple of points:

- I like to include a variety of excercises, rather than just the basics. I'm a firm believer in including as many different ranges of motion as you can - so maybe one exercise with the muscle in a stretched position, one in a more contracted range, etc. It also keeps things more interesting, IMO.

- Beware of overtraining. I completely understand your frustration in getting your lats to grow, but you need to allow your body enough rest to repair itself, so training them every day is not the answer. Personally, I wouldn't do them any more than twice a week.

Twice a week - that's what I'm doing currently. What if I kept it that way and upped the sets? Say if I do 6 sets just to really hammer them? Or is that still too much?

Probably not the best idea.

The name of the game is to overload the muscles, not fatigue them.

IMO It's better to lift heavy ass weight in 3-4 sets (maybe more to help break through a plateau or for a change-up now & then, but not for long periods).

You'll end up overtraining if you do too many sets of the big compound exercises each week.

My goals are just to lift big, heh. I love what I do so I just do it. I geuss you could say I'm training for rugby but that's not what I think when I go to the gym. I just love it . I also might try to get on the stage next summer, but I dunno whether that's a realistic goal or not. But one things for sure, whether or not I do, I'll still be working my arse off at the gym!

I also started lifting to get bigger for rugby -- then eventually stopped playing rugby in case I got injured and couldn't lift anymore baby21.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by assistance work.

Oops, I meant other exercises that could potentially help with your 5 lifts (eg. rows to strengthen back for deads etc). With your chins twice a week, maybe you could try them weighted? Or decrease your rest time between sets? shrug.gif

Higher reps and lighter weights seem to have been working well for my lats recently. I can't tell you exactly what I've been doing (I haven't really had a set routine :oops:) but it would have been something like this:

Lat pulldowns (2 warmup sets, then 3 sets of 10-15 to failure)

Make sure you pull down fully with your shoulders (like a reverse shrug motion) before bending your elbows. Prefatiguing on a "light" weight before going on to "heavy" Chins means the muscle is still fresh enough to control your form. Focus on hitting the lats as accurately as you can.

Chins (3 sets of however many I can manage)

Because this ends up being lower reps, this tends to be better for building power/strength - but I think having a variety of rep ranges is good for muscle growth too.

If you've got a single-grip lat pulldown machine, they can be helpful for getting a bit more contraction in the lats - otherwise try lat pulldowns with a reverse grip, and make sure you bring your elbows right back. Throw in your seated cable rows, DB pullovers, etc and you've got yourself a workout. :)

Thanks, Cammo. I didn't know about overload vs. fatigue.

I also started lifting to get bigger for rugby -- then eventually stopped playing rugby in case I got injured and couldn't lift anymore

That is so me :lol:

Pseudonym: Cheers for that info. I misunderstood your post at first, but thanks for that, that is bloody good info. I will do Lat Pulldown as you said before Chins in my next lat workout, Friday. (This paragraph was edited).

Thanks for all the comments.

Friday 12/01/2007

Started loading for Creatine today, felt sorry for the other people in the gym as well, I was stinking it out with creatine gas :pfft:

Deadlifts - Maxed out at 140 so I decided to rep 125, probably should've gone lower as my reps weren't at 5 but I geuss I'm up here now so I'll may as well stay! I'm thinking it's quite possible I hit 5 x 5 of these on Tuesday, but we'll wait and see.

125 x 5

125 x 4 (almost 5, but didn't quite get my back straight)

125 x 4 (same as above)

125 x 3

125 x 1

Military Press

52 x 4

52 x 4

52 x 3

Lat Pulldown - Took ya advice, Pseudonym.

65 x 13

65 x 10

Chin Ups - Bumped up 2kg thanks to the Creatine and Lat Pulldowns but still expected to do more than I did, slightly disappointed. I geuss it wasn't too bad as I'm feeling it in my lats now.

88 x 3

88 x 2

88 x 1

No I haven't given up my multiplayer journal, just haven't had access to a computer for the past couple of days.

Monday 15/01/2007

Dumbbell Bench Press

34 x 5

34 x 4

34 x 4

34 x 3

34 x 3

Squats - Pushed myself for 140. It was awesome too, I remember mid-late in the last school year a couple of mates and I were talking in Physics and one of em goes "I know this dude in Blenhiem, he Squat 140kg in the weekend!" The rest of us: "Ohhhh shiiii!!!" Him: "Yeah, he collasped into the box after 3 reps".

Lol newbies.

140 x 5

140 x 5

140 x 5

The last rep of the first set was really slow and doubtful, as well as the last couple of the second and the last few of the third, but I never hit muscular failure. I was so buggered after that, it was awesome. Bloody good workout.

And....

Tuesday 16/01/2007

Deadlifts - Good leg work out the night before... Too good =/. I realised that I shouldn't carry on after the third set for fear of overtraining as I was feeling the soreness. Don worry though, had plenty of protein today :D.

125 x 5

125 x 5

125 x 3

Military Press - Looks like I'm ready to up this, no failure here :(.

52 x 5

52 x 5

52 x 5

Lat Pulldown

70 x 14

70 x 10

Chin Ups - I had a feeling it was going to be not a bad lat workout.

88 x 3

88 x 3

88 x 3

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should post an update before this thread slips of into oblivion. I've been slacking off a bit lately. But before you comment, with good reason. I would never slack off without good reason.

You see, even at a young age I've already racked up a history of having a bad back. This one time, a few years ago, I skipped a rugby season because of it. Usually the pain comes when I am in one position for a while, like sitting too long or standing too long. This happened while I was stuffing myself with a HUEG steak at a resteraunt last Thursday. I was sitting on a form so I had zero back support. Anyway, it was just a small pain so I thought as usual I'd be fine the next day...

But then Friday I woke up with an extreme pain, where even the slightest extension or contraction of my back would sting like hell. This carryed on until Monday. It still hurt then to carry any weight, and hurt a bit to bend over/stand up.

I finally got the confidence to go to the gym on Wednesday. After my light Pec/Lat/Delt a-bit-of-this-a-bit-of-that workout, I noticed 40kg in the Squat rack. Tried squatting it but only got down a quater before it stung like hell. But today I went in and did an intense Lat workout. I worked my way up one rep of each weight going up in 20's in the Squat Rack and I the same thing happened as Wednesday at 100kg. So my back seems to be looking up.

Also did some Back Extension (no way in hell am I doing Deadlifts yet :shock: ) and it felt bloody good.

So to prove how much I ramble you can sum up the above four paragraphs with four words: BACK SORE NO GYM

...And I've been really down about it. But don't worry. I've been using my spare time to draw up a draft for a new workout plan. It'll be heavily compound exercises, just with some 'body building' added. So all going well my back will be 100% come Monday and I'll start my new plan.

:)

Yeah, I forgot to mention I'm booked in at the chiropracter. I not one of those 'this feels wrong so I'll take a stab in the dark and hope I get the right thing' one. This guy's got an X-Ray and everything!

I assume it's growing pains. My older brother, who is going on 21, used to get a sore back. I hadn't seen him for about 6 months and recently he complained over the phone it was really bad. Then he came home and he was taller than me again!

So either it's a cruel co-incidence or it is just growing pains. But I'm getting it checked out either way. I just hope the chiropracter is one of those 'kids shouldn't lift' bastards.

...Bastards

Also, I looked pretty newbie when I couldn't squat 40 on Wednesday. Not that it really matters to me but as my good friend Tim (*ahem*...deadliftking) would say, 'It's not the lifting, it's how you look when you're lifting'. :lol:

Monday 29/01/2007

RAWR, IM BACK!!!

Deaflifts - Took a lot of time to warm up my back a lot before hand. This included Back Extension, Stretches and Low Weight sets. I was bloody anxious what my lift was going to be.

125 x 5 (Right off the block - stoaked!)

125 x 1 (Not to stoaked...)

120 x 1 (Even less stoaked)

I wasn't in the right mindset going into this... And these real lithargic group of guys were super setting between watching me and watching each other do curls which didn't help either. I geuss next time I'll take it on the chin and do 5 x 5 of 120kg. And push my max out a week back.

Also these guys were listening to some crappy radio station which was 1/2 adds, 1/4 some douchebags talking crap and another 1/4 of teenie bopper not-so-weight lifting music. I went late tonight as well because I wanted to be able to put my newly aquired death metal on and see if it helps you get pumped. :x

Towel Pull Ups - Still down from deadlifts and those guys who just wouldn't leave, but I went alright. My lats fail before my grip here but my grip still gets a bloody good working over. <3 these.

90 x 5

90 x 4

90 x 4

Chin Ups - Bastards are still here watching me and still doing curls... I swear they did 100 sets between them throughout the night. Every kind you could think of.

90 x 5

F*ck em I thought, so I went and put my Hatebreed on LOUD. And gave all three of them a 'f*ck you' twice with a chin up. That's right:

90 x 6!!! I was stoaked, that music does help!

90 x 2 :pfft:

Lying Rear Delt Row - I was just trying these for the first time to figure out where I'm at. Is it ok to just pull them up hard instead of a more controlled movement, because that's what I was doing. I'll do the 17's next time and record my sets/reps.

I geuss there is a silver lining to this workout as my Lats have made some decent gains. I'm happy.

...Mildy

Tuesday 30/01/2007

Just working myself back into the routine slowly.

Squats - I had two spotters just incase my legs couldn't handle my old squat. A shame one of the spotters was as weak as a kitten and when I failed on the 2nd set he couldn't lift as much as the other one and the barbell was across my left shoulder... I was lucky not to reinjure it...

140 x 5

140 x 4

One Legged Calf Raises

100 (body weight + 11kg) x 10

100 x 8

Leg Extension

35 x 8

35 x 8

I don't know if I'll be able to go to the gym today. I had a chronic bleeding nose yesterday and had to go to A&E and lost a lot of blood so I'm feeling pretty average...

Friday 02/02/2007

I was feeling average going into this because of another bleeding nose...

Bench - I did really strange reps...

35.5kg x 4

35.5kg x 4

35.5kg x 4

35.5kg x 4

35.5kg x 3

Straight Leg Deads - I don't know why I didn't put the weight up on these, it was too easy. I still felt a pump in my hammies though.

90kg x 5

90kg x 5

90kg x 5

90kg x 5

Well this is going to be my program I'll be starting...

Day 1:

Deadlift/Straight Leg Deadlift 5 x 5

Towel Pull Ups 3 x failure

Chin Ups 3 x failure

Lying Dumbbell Rows 3 x 6 - 8

Day 2:

Squat 5 x 5

Calf Raises 3 x 6 – 8

Leg Extension 3 x 10

Military Press/Shoulder Press 3 x 5

Day 3:

Rest

Day 4:

Bench Press 5 x 5

Dumbbell Incline Bench 3 x 5

Barbell Shrugs 3 x 8 – 10

High Incline Crunches 3 x 20

Neck Press 3 x 15 seconds/side

Day 5:

Rest

Some notes:

-One day 5 is complete I will immeadiately go back to day 1 the next day, this will result in training 4-5 times per week - which I am happy with.

-For some muscles I'll be alternating exercises each time... Like for Delts. Also for Deadlifts/Straight Leg Deadlifts but that is more of a strategic decision rather than just to hit the muscle in a different way.

-Neck Press, I don't know what it's real name is. The one where you 'press' your neck against your hands. 'Side' means front/back/left/right. These'll be supersetted with High Incline Crunches.

-In regards to day 4, I'll hopefully be able to find the time to add in a couple of sets of curls for just my left arm so I can even them up.

-Leg Extension are those 'squeeze reps'. <3 Trey Brewer.

-I'll tone down the volume of my Lat-targetting exercises once I think I am fully over this plateau.

Any questions/suggestions would be awes :D

Sunday 04/02/2007

Deadlifts - My reps literally die after the second set... I think the badly timed workout was the cause. I was hungry and sleepy.

120 x 5

120 x 5

120 x 2

120 x 2

Towel Pull Ups

90 x 5

90 x 3

Chin Ups

90 x 6

90 x 4

90 x 4

Lying Dumbbell Rows - Can someone PLEASE tell me whether I should do these explosively or a slow movement?

16 x 9

16 x 8

16 x 7