Whats the scoop on the NZIS personal trainer course

ohjoshua

I finished a fitness instructors course at AUT a couple of years back - It was part time (weekends) and was about 2 or 3 months all up - to follow it up & get a personal trainers cert would have been a waste of time & $$$ for me as I didn't do it to get into it as a profession (and all the PT module really went into was how to run a business - something I'm doing now anyway).

All up (with the PT course) it would have taken around 4 months (weekends).

Is this course you're looking at full or part time? - If it's full time it must be pretty extensive.

Go for it mate if it's what you want to do!

iv heard the new zealnd institute of sport is a good facility as i was thinking about getting into the industry about a year ago, but wouldnt have wanted it to become a chore working out seeing as i was in the gym al day working, any how everyones different. 6 months is a fast course bro and itll most likley be pretty full on so make sure yr up to it.

but if you want it in 6months and stil want a job there is a school called the new zealand college of fitness, u can get yr pt cert through them in 6months only going few nights a week.

i was thinking about getting into the industry about a year ago, but wouldnt have wanted it to become a chore working out

:nod: My reasoning was exactly the same... I love my bodybuilding, and I was scared that I might burn out doing it all day every day.

Why not ask some gyms what they think of the course, Josh?

Yeah Josh you should get some info sent to you about the college of fitness. They do part time and full time PT courses. Awesome place too. The one I'm doing is in Auckland but have a look at them on the web and see if they do one near where you are. It definately is worth looking at.

The part time course is Monday and Wednesday evenings.

It is from 6pm till 9pm and is for 6months.

Great course, covers absolutely everything and the hours are really convenient for me since I have to work during the day to be able to put myself through the course.

It is a bit more expensive then some courses but after having a good look around I think it is also a bit more thorough in it's teachings too. So all in all, well worth every dollar spent. :)

Some of the topics include

* Communication and customer service

* Exercise science and programming skills

* First Aid

* Group exercise

* Personal training skills

* Nutrition

* Injury management

* Sports Training

* Business planning and set up

* Sales and marketing

* Systemising your business and customer service

* Management and leadership

Theres alot more too that they cover also and loads of hands on work also.

i was thinking about getting into the industry about a year ago, but wouldnt have wanted it to become a chore working out

:nod: My reasoning was exactly the same... I love my bodybuilding, and I was scared that I might burn out doing it all day every day.

Why not ask some gyms what they think of the course, Josh?

i finished my degree in exercise presciprtion and management over a year ago and have been doing PTing for the last 6 months and i havent lost the drive to train myself yet??? but in saying that somedays i'm so busy that i work all day ie from when gym opens to close and sometimes have to train after hours (got my own keys to gym) or else i save it for the following day if not too busy.