Few thoughts about Chch gyms...

Deburgh

Ive been to just about them all at one time or another.

I wont try to review them all or Id be here all night.

Of course my views are just that!

Best premium ChCh gym...

Pro Fitness

Pro's

Excellent car parking

Excellent equipment

Spacious

Well qualified and experienced staff

Con's

Can be very cold, probably due to being in a very old building. The skylights used to leak but dont know if thats still a problem.

Expensive (but I guess its not a prob if you want premium!)

Gym staff themselves are standoffish, may have the knowledge but do they have the personality?

Best el cheapo gym...

QE2 gym

Pro's

Light, spacious.

Cheap as you are going to get (Think its about $450 for a multi membership allowing access to all CCC gyms, swimming pools and squash for the year, prob about $350 for just QE2)

Reasonably good car parking

Other facilities at QE2; athletics track, squash, olympic swimming pools etc etc

Good range of equipment

Con's

Again staff a bit standoffish

Can be crowded at rush times

Basic changing facilities

• 8 months later...

yea i agree with your reviews apart from when you said about pro-fitness im guessing your talking about the moorhouse one because the one at northwood is an oven - no windows and the air con seems to always be a cosy warm which of course turns its sweating hot after a few mins and wears you down quickly :oops: ..... .but yea the moorhouse one is good :pfft:

yea Pro fitness on Moorehouse is my stomping ground, it can be a bit cold at times but a few min warm up on the cross trainer and you'll forget about that.

I haven't found the staff to be standoffish to me, they are usually always saying hi to me or ask how i'm doing.

I like how they have dumbbells that I haven't even touched before, maybe one day i'll get to use the 65kg ones :nod:

They are both very good in my books, lots of space and equipment the rest is superflous ;)

I still havent stuck my head into Pro Fitness Northwood to see what its like. Maybe some changes in store for Pro Fitness as I heard a Wellington gym has brought em.

They are both very good in my books, lots of space and equipment the rest is superflous ;)

I still havent stuck my head into Pro Fitness Northwood to see what its like. Maybe some changes in store for Pro Fitness as I heard a Wellington gym has brought em.

BodyWorks has brought Pro Fitness.

OB

They have a good rep in Wellington? Can we expect changes / growth down here or not?

A company from ChCh AEL (property, finance)moved up to Wellington a couple of years ago, and brought into Bodyworks this year. They are going to expand BodyWorks around NZ, they just opened in Porirua.

There is a rumour that are couple of large American Gym franchises are looking at coming here in a couple of years, but they want to buy existing nation wide franchises and rebrand them. Thats why you will see a couple of Wellington Gyms Bodyworks and City Fitness spreading there wings.

Might be slight changes as far as management goes, centralised, but have heard nothing yet. AEL was my landlord till a couple of weeks ago, sold this building I am in.

OB 8)

A company from ChCh AEL (property, finance)moved up to Wellington a couple of years ago, and brought into Bodyworks this year. They are going to expand BodyWorks around NZ, they just opened in Porirua.

ahhh i see someone else reads the paper :grin:

Na did not read the paper.

Might be slight changes as far as management goes, centralised, but have heard nothing yet. AEL was my landlord till a couple of weeks ago, sold this building I am in.

Dan Tremewan was my landlord for 4 years.

Hey LD,

It is the big commercial gyms that are the target 3,500 members and up, the mid range 500+ up and Boutique gyms under 500 are not really the target.

When I mean Boutique the owner/owners have a small gym One on One with their clients, good loyalty membership. With a big personal touch to the gym enviroment and members and also to what they are doing and achieving.

It is the mid range gyms that will find it hard to compete for clients, new equipment etc with the bigger commercial chain gyms.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

OB

• 2 weeks later...
Thx once again, as you say its all about posistioning, whether to compete with the giants or provide that special service.

See marketing 101 :D

All about positioning strategy and your price/quality matrix. The big gyms will always struggle to maintain long term clients that really NEED the gym as the bigger you get the harder it is to maintain high levels of service.

The big gyms will get to a point and someone in head office will go "we can make 1% more profit if we cut back on floor staff" and the will bleed market share off against profitability for a while....

Small gyms will always have their niche just as in any industry.

:twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

ymca bishopdale - no legpress! :(

pioneer - awesome! but far away for me

fitness canterbury - awesome gym , price pretty much doubled (probly to fund the boxing crap) , not so awesome

les mils ferrymead/town - umm who can afford this shit? but yeah good - lame trainer attitude and annoying :pfft: (white powder under the nose)

pro-fitness moorhouse - yeah awesome gym but i cant afford it and i dont care about expensive cardio equipment , just want heavy weighing weights thanks :roll:

uni gym - good but gets very busy apparently

cryton cobbers - awesome but too far away again :o

my bedroom gym - awesome but limited exercise variety lol :x

• 4 months later...

never tried profitness on moorehouse only went round it once but did go to the northwood one for a while so assume they are much the same expensive and lots of cardio gym bunny stuff. I ended up selling my membership on trademe lol

never tried profitness on moorehouse only went round it once but did go to the northwood one for a while so assume they are much the same expensive and lots of cardio gym bunny stuff. I ended up selling my membership on trademe lol

yea they do have some good equipment but you can tell its geared more towards the casual person trynna lose a bit of flab, were you training at the moment queen? only decent old school gym iv found so far is chriton cobbers

• 2 weeks later...

Have to stick up for staff at Pro Fitness Moorhouse, as a member you need to be approachable also, not just rely on the staff to buff your ego and lay out the red carpet everytime yoiu swipe your card.

I have been to a few gyms big and small and Pro Fitness used to be very "posy" and the lipstick, lycra and legwarmer brigade loved it, but these days its the best of both worlds, nice friendly community gym feel with a huge range of levels so non intimidating for a newbie, but the benefits of a range of equipment and weights.

Not so fussed on Northwood, strange layout and feels cramped to train there, but hey at least you can train at both for variety with the membership.

I joined up for the longer contract to keep cost down but you can get some good deals on the net for memberships.

As far as "cardio - gym bunny stuff" they upgraded their machines so I think thats a plus rather than a slam! At least theres enough for everybody