West side training

Hey yall

Just finished reading vvs thread on power lifting training and thought i would post my 2cents worth

Have been training west side for about 2 years now and have seen mad gains in all three lifts.

I not actually a powerlifter as such, my program is a variation of the west side template but still has the same Max and dynamic days

If Tonka is still out there or any other west side desciples can you give me some advice on my training its stagnated a bit.

Here is my training template

DAY 1

ME Bench

Bench press/Board presses work up to 3rep max and try for 3 rep PR

Supliment lift

swiss ball flies 3 sets 8-10

Tricep work

Close grip presses all variations, close grip board presses, rack lockouts close grip 4 sets 4-6

Back super set

Horizontal/BO row 4 sets 6-8 ss/w face pulls/seated db cleans/pec dec reverse flies 4 sets 10-12

Extras

usually biceps or traps

DAY 2

Max effort SQ/DL

Box squat or DL work up in triples to ME 3rep max then try for 3rep PR

Unilateral lift

Lunge variations 3-4 sets 8-10

Assistance lift

SLDL/Good morning 3 sets 6-8

Posterior chain work

GHR/Reverse Hyper 3-4 sets 10-12

Extras

Usually lateral shoulder and grip work

DAY 3

DE/Repetition Bench day

DE bench 8 sets 3reps speed bench @50% 1rm or 100kg barbaell max reps x 3

Supliment lift

Swissball db presses/Incline, decline, flat db presses/ incline decline barbell presses 4 sets 6-8

Tricep super set

Tate presses/OH ext 4 sets 8-10 ss/w push downs variations 4 sets 10-12

Back super set

same as ME bench day

Extras

usually bis and traps

Day 4

DE SQ/DL and Power day

DE SQ/DL

Speed sq/dl off box 8 sets 3 reps @ 60% 1rm

Power cleans 8 sets of 3 reps

Push presses 8 sets of 3 reps

GHR 5 x 4 w weight

Lateral shoulder work

Warm ups for bench days are Front sqyuats 5x5 heavy with rotator exersises

Warm up for leg days are OH sqyats light to activate core.

There it is, its got a few variations basically i do it for rugby for explosiveness but will be looking at training up for a power lifting event in th future.

ANY comments will be much apreciated

Hey RB,

your template looks great. The only thing I would ask is do you vary your volume and how do you do that? By dropping/increasing reps or varying weight? What about your core (abs/lwr back). Core is they key to being strong in any sport. Also, do you use bands or chains or both?

Other than that it looks very WS to a tee. If you are using it as a way to build strength for rugby then I think you are on the right track. I know some strongman exercises wouldnt go a miss as an addition to your template but its all about getting the right gear...like a 300-450kg tire/log press/farmers walk gear etc etc.

If you decide to finish up with rugby RB I'm sure you would have a good shot at success on the powerlifting platform.

Stay strong

T

I havnt varied the volume as much as i should, i cycle the lifts a lot though mo more tham 2 weeks on the same lift, what would you suggest in the way of volume variation, should i vary the reps/wieghts on the supliment xercises aswell? or just the main lifts??

I am dead keen to have a go at power lifting i would love to be able to squat as much as tonka can bench though :nod: maybe 1 day

Hey Tonka i actualy grew up wotching u play rugby, my cuzzie was in the reps with u

Thanx agen guys.

I havnt varied the volume as much as i should, i cycle the lifts a lot though mo more tham 2 weeks on the same lift, what would you suggest in the way of volume variation, should i vary the reps/wieghts on the supliment xercises aswell? or just the main lifts??

I am dead keen to have a go at power lifting i would love to be able to squat as much as tonka can bench though :nod: maybe 1 day

Hey Tonka i actualy grew up wotching u play rugby, my cuzzie was in the reps with u

Thanx agen guys.

Hey RB...those rugby days were a long time ago...lol...still got some explosive speed in the old stumps but after 30 meters the rest of the 155kg of me catches up and then its like HELLO WALL!!!

:pfft:

Just with your questions, my volume question was mainly for your max effort work. Volume variation for me is determined by rep numbers. 5 being high - 3 being moderate - 1 being low I will cycle my barweight for 4-8 weeks first before introducing bands (6-8 weeks) then chains + bands (4 weeks) and then chains only (last 4 weeks) My last 4 weeks are all about peaking my speed into the comp.

For rugby training it may be different. It would have to be centered around your season. Your high volume work rate should be off season and during season stength maintenance as well as moderating your speed to avoid joint/damage. Its a good thing you are keeping the max lifts at 3's. 1RM are a bit risky for what you are doing. Keep your assist work/reps up bro, and keep bringing up those weak points.

Just with the bands and chains try and get onto them ASAP. They will add so much more to your training and overall strength. GetStrength sell some good bands locally so look up his website (they are iron woody bands) but if you want the US ones go to "the house of pain ironwear" site and just start off with the minis and lights (purples). They deliver within a week (or 2)

Check out my website bro and then flick us an email and we'll chat more:

http://www.pacificbarbenders.co.nz

....you got me thinking who your brother is!!!

Stay strong

T

• 4 weeks later...
YEA core work is done a lot of swiss ball variations but thats about it realy, no bands or chains though but am saving my penneys to get some haha

Hey RB,

Pretty good base you have built up over the two years and your numbers a pretty good too. Tonka's pretty well covered most of it, keep the assists high, hammer the lower back Goodmorning Squats (ME Day), Seated GMs, GMs off Chains all this helps with "Kaos Effect".

Chains and Bands will push your training into another gear where you have stagnated, and help push your maxes up, used in both ME and DE Days especially with the speed work. Only one issue with this work CNS can get fried quite quickly (ME days) so rotate Band and Chain work 3 weeks is the max for bands.

Core wore needs big attention my pet peeve "Swiss Balls" do what we have done fill them up with water. Hanging leg Raises, Russians Twists, Landmines, Hungarian Blaster, Russian Boxer the list goes on.

Keep away from Tonkas Diet tho won't be good for rugby a Big Fella

Old Bull 8)

Hey Old Bull, thanx for the advice.

I have been talking with Tonka and he has been helping me out heaps, i apreciate all your help man especialy from your self and Tonka the grand master powerlifters, im actualy a member of the powerhouse gym forum and have been watching and learning from your input there.

Chains and bands will become part of my training in the near future.

Again your help is much apreciated and any more help will be invaluable man.

PEACE

Hey Old Bull, thanx for the advice.

I have been talking with Tonka and he has been helping me out heaps, i apreciate all your help man especialy from your self and Tonka the grand master powerlifters, im actualy a member of the powerhouse gym forum and have been watching and learning from your input there.

Chains and bands will become part of my training in the near future.

Again your help is much apreciated and any more help will be invaluable man.

PEACE

RB

Cheers Mate,

I ended up here, one of our members jono has been a member here for a while, he knew I was reading but had not joined. Like you just reading the PL side to see what people were doing always looking to learn something different.

Might see your Full Training Manual up one day.

Old Bull 8)

Howdy all,

great to see this discussion and so much input from so many veterans :)

I unfortunately had to be away from the gym for a period of 3 months, and now healing from an injury. So only just getting back to it.

For those of you whove seen my programme, I can make it into the gym only 3 times a week due to Study/Work commitments.

so Im thinking of having a ME day for Bench/Squat each week as well as 1 alternating session for DE Bench/Squat. What do you guys think?

Also, I apparently have a "tennis -elbow" and this has seriously limited my grip strenght, so any suggestions on how to build it back up with out ripping the tendons with the same thing again ?

Cheers guys,

V.V.