newbie,how to increase lower lower body size.

victor

Hi aLL,

I have been doing weight training for a year now.I am 28 years old ,1.8m tall and weigh 80 kg.

I need to increase my chest size.I do flat bench presses at 90kg --10 reps,then 100 kg ---10 reps and 110kg 3 reps.I have noticed that my shoulders,arms seem to grow except my chest.I also do incline bench presses.Could some-one please tell me what I am doing wrong ?.

My 2nd question is what is the best way to increase size of leg muscles,especially calves.I can't seem to put on more mass on my legs.

I just seem to grow stronger ,but hardly put on weight.

Thanks,

Victor

I need to increase my chest size.I do flat bench presses at 90kg --10 reps,then 100 kg ---10 reps and 110kg 3 reps.I have noticed that my shoulders,arms seem to grow except my chest.I also do incline bench presses.Could some-one please tell me what I am doing wrong ?.

Probably you are not going down far enough on your presses and therefore your triceps are taking all the strain instead of your chest. Do strictly correct reps with the bench press and even hold the weight touching your chest for a couple of seconds at the bottom. If you have to use a much lighter weight to do this, you'll know I'm right. Also, pec isolation exercises like the pec dec might help.

My 2nd question is what is the best way to increase size of leg muscles,especially calves.I can't seem to put on more mass on my legs.

For quads, do full rom squats. For calves, do standing calf raises AND sitting calf raises AND calf raises on the leg press machine three times a week until they look recpectable, and then scale it back a bit.

Eat more.

Thanks,

Victor

I always thought calves were one of those muscle groups that were pretty much down to genetics.

Once you've sharpened your form, I always found that training weaker body parts first helps me bring up the weak area.

E.g. on a 4-day split - MON, TUE, Rest, THUR, FRI I would hit my two weaker bodyparts at the beginning of my workouts on Monday and Thursday to devote maximum energy into pounding them...

I've had great success with my shoulders training them first after the weekend off on my current schedule.

I don't get a huge amount of pectoral growth out of straight bench presses due to having a slightly barrel shaped rib cage. The barbell coming into contact with my chest restricts the amount of stretch and stimulation it receives. Hence I will do some sort of isolation exercise first (flyes normally) and then perform benches, or I may superset the 2, with the flyes performed first. Alternatively dumbell presses work well too.

I always thought calves were one of those muscle groups that were pretty much down to genetics.

I always used to think i would always have pathetic calves due to genetics, so i started killing them with extreamely heavy standing bb calf raises, and they responded :grin: now they are not an issue at all :grin:

I pretty much agree with the others, get some iso chest work in there if you arent already doing some.

There was an article on Tnation about this recently.

It reccomended choosing a wide grip on the bench press so as to decrease Tricep work and place more stress on the pectorals, as well as doing dumbell flyes with A LOT of stretch in the ROM.

Of course food must be the biggest other factor.

I always used to think i would always have pathetic calves due to genetics, so i started killing them with extreamely heavy standing bb calf raises, and they responded :grin: now they are not an issue at all :grin:

I pretty much agree with the others, get some iso chest work in there if you arent already doing some.

LOL. Yay.. theres hope for me after all :grin: :grin: