Training Forearms

BigBob

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if anyone has asked this already, but what is your recommendation for training forearms?

I don't train them specifically, and find that when training back they get a real good burn, and sometimes (usually the last heavy sets of chins and rows) even reach failure before my back does. Some people have recommended that I use wrist straps to help take my back to failure (which I'm all in favour of), but would it be better to stick it out until my forearms adapt, or train them directly too?

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I've noticed grip strength increases from back training without straps in the past but only specific forearm training actually added muscle to my forearms.

I'll use straps when I'm training back if I have to because the aim is to hit my back, not compromise the workout because I can't hold on long enough. The theory that grip strength will eventually get to a point where I don't need straps never worked for me - after all the weights keep going up....

Thanks for the advice Ash & Brad, much appreciated.

So, the next question is... What are the most effective forearm exercises?

Should I stick to the Forearm curl, reverse forearm curl, reverse preaher curl and hammer curl, or are there some other good exercises that you guys have seen good results with?

Should I stick to the Forearm curl, reverse forearm curl, reverse preaher curl and hammer curl, or are there some other good exercises that you guys have seen good results with?

That plus hanging from the chinup bar for as long as possible at the end of most workouts should work. The farmers walk is also good.

Thanks for the advice Ash & Brad, much appreciated.

So, the next question is... What are the most effective forearm exercises?

I used to do a lot of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls over a bench and my results were ok but it was only once I started doing standing BB and DB wrist curls that I really started getting some gains along the bottom of my forearm.

For the top of the forearm, reverse curls with a BB or EZ bar (whichever feels best to you) and the good old DB hammer curl work well.

For something different though, try reverse curls with your wrists bent at 90 degrees throughout the movement.

Thanks for the description Confed! I just hope I don't get arms like an ape from doing them! :D

Ash - I have tried standing wrist curls with a barbell before, and I found it doesn't strain my wrists as much as teh wrist curls over a bench. How do you execute them though?

I used to do them by gripping the barbell with an overhand grip behind my back (arms straight down) then curl the wrists up from there.

Ash - I have tried standing wrist curls with a barbell before, and I found it doesn't strain my wrists as much as teh wrist curls over a bench. How do you execute them though?

I used to do them by gripping the barbell with an overhand grip behind my back (arms straight down) then curl the wrists up from there.

I do them with the BB hanging in front with an overhand grip. First curl the BB slowly forwards as if you were doing a reverse wrist curl and then all the way back up as per the normal wrist curl but hold at the top.

Are you looking to increase forearm strength or size or are you looking just for a better grip ie endurance?

If your looking for strength/size then i recomend forearm curls. Also the one where you hold a couple of dumbells out in front of you, so your upper arm is perpendicular to the floor and your forearm is parallel to the floor, then you rotate your forearms so palms are facing up then down, rapidly, this is also good, could be slightly more endurance style though.

For endurance i like farmer walks, static hold etc, hanging.

Good question Growth! Initially I'm after the grip endurance to help with my back exercises, but then I will look at strength and size as I have noticed my forearms are slowly starting to look disproportionately small to my upper arms.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you looking to increase forearm strength or size or are you looking just for a better grip ie endurance?

If your looking for strength/size then i recomend forearm curls. Also the one where you hold a couple of dumbells out in front of you, so your upper arm is perpendicular to the floor and your forearm is parallel to the floor, then you rotate your forearms so palms are facing up then down, rapidly, this is also good, could be slightly more endurance style though.

For endurance i like farmer walks, static hold etc, hanging

Static holds are great for forearm strength, lately i've been doing these 3 times a week had have definitely noticed a difference in grip strength.

• 1 month later...
Hey Everyone,

Not sure if anyone has asked this already, but what is your recommendation for training forearms?

I don't train them specifically, and find that when training back they get a real good burn, and sometimes (usually the last heavy sets of chins and rows) even reach failure before my back does. Some people have recommended that I use wrist straps to help take my back to failure (which I'm all in favour of), but would it be better to stick it out until my forearms adapt, or train them directly too?

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BigBob

Two schools of thought here, straps if you want a Big Back, the progress with your forearms will be slow but it will progress.

No Straps, forearm developement will increase faster so will your grip strength, but the weights will be less but in time they will pick up.

PL, we use Fat Bars various sizes 2inch, 2 1/2" and 3" this baby weighs 40kg, we also have 2" Fat Bar dumbbells. (17.5kg empty each one)

A bit of scaffold (2" approx) tubing over the top of a 1'' small bar and then attack forearms with this. If your grip strength is going because of the heavier weights Back Training,then Fat bar grip holds both hands over bar (not powerlifters grip), for 20 seconds increasing weight, 4 to 5 sets they will be come forelegs.

It goes on, Fat Bar Chins, Fat Bar Rows, any row "Fat Bar It". This will develope your strength over all, even putting a grip day aside for special training.

Old Bull 8)

Thanks for the info Old Bull! At the moment I am doing static holds on a chin bar after I finish my back workout, and using 3" bars for some dedicated forearm training (hammer curls, reverse preacher curls, wrist curls).

I'm also doing some pinch grip work with some plates and I'm toying with the idea of developing a more strongman-esque style workout.

P.S. checked out your site and I WISH I lived in Wellington so I could come along to the PowerHouse!!!

Cheers Big Bob,

Haven't been on the site for month or so was a bit late in replying no worries tho. Good to see you are alredy using Fat Bars

History: The world record for a 3" Fat Bar Deadlift both hands over the bar is 150kgs

One of our pinch grip exercises is with a Dumbbell we have a old solid steel one about 110mm across about 15kgs with magnetic weights added. Hold that with a stop watch weakest hand first, and try break that time each workout. If you have access to Hex dumbbells they work quite well long as the fingers cannot hook under anything.

Thanks for the comments on The House if your down here at some stage look us up.

Old Bull 8)

I head down to Wellington fairly often as part of my job, so I may well have to pop in for a training ession with you guys.

Do you cater for one off sessions?

also, do you do programme design? I'm interested in sorting out seomthing along the lines of a strongman routine to keep the interst level high and get some real-world strength too!

BigBob

I head down to Wellington fairly often as part of my job, so I may well have to pop in for a training ession with you guys.

Do you cater for one off sessions?

also, do you do programme design? I'm interested in sorting out seomthing along the lines of a strongman routine to keep the interst level high and get some real-world strength too!

Casual is $12.00,

A lot of our Powerlifting programming has a Strongman content to it Tyre Flipping, Sled Dragging, Farmers Walks etc. We have a few Strongman that visit our site from around the country and we can help you out with programme design. Just need to know what content you want to take it too.

When your down next come in and we will catch up or send us a email.

Here is a link to a Strongman Comp and entry forms up your way shortly.

http://www.powerhousegym.co.nz/gymforum ... hp?tid=221

Old Bull 8)

Thanks for the info Old Bull. Much appreciated!

Will definately head along to the North Shore comp, I'm looking forward to it!

I'd like to check out the Powerhouse for myself and meet some of you guys in person, so will try and pull my next trip forward as much as I can, so hopefully see you in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks again for the helpful info.