What body type are you?

Which bodytype  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which bodytype

• Ectomorph
    • Mesomorph
    • Endomorph

What bodytype are you?

Ectomorph-You're naturally skinny/lean and find it easy to stay cut and defined, however you have a hard time putting on weight and have to work really hard for every pound of muscle gained.

Mesomorph-You're naturally muscular, and find it relatively easy losing or gaining weight, and enjoy good gains at the gym with the right amount of work.

Endomorph-Naturally you're a roundish shape, and need to work very hard to stay in shape. You find it easy to gain weight but find it very difficult to lose weight.

Hmmm i dont seem to fit into any of those categories as they are defined there. I guess im a cross between and ecto adnf a meso because when i started out i was naturally pretty thin and lean, however now i find it difficult to retain definition. Im not naturally muscular but i do find it fairly easy to put on or lose weight.

Hmmm i dont seem to fit into any of those categories as they are defined there. I guess im a cross between and ecto adnf a meso because when i started out i was naturally pretty thin and lean, however now i find it difficult to retain definition. Im not naturally muscular but i do find it fairly easy to put on or lose weight.

Thats me too, I imagine alot of people would fall into this group

That's normal not many people are just one type. I'm ecto-meso aswell although I am more on the meso side.

Those descriptions are also really vague it should take into account bone structure aswell.

Taken from Arnolds Bodybuilding Encyclodedia:

Ectomorph: Short upper body, long arms and legs, long narrow feet and hands, very little fat storage, narrowness in the chest and shoulders, generally long thin muscles.

Mesomorph: Large chest, long torso, solid muscular structure, great strength.

Endomorph: Soft musculature, round face, short neck, wide hips, heavy fat storage.

This all comes from the work of the American psychologist William Sheldon during the 1940's. Sheldon classified bodytypes using a rating system, scaled from one to 7, for each of the 3 listed categories (endomorphy, mesomorphy, ectomorphy). Hence a pure endomorph would be rated 7-1-1, a pure mesomorph would be rated as a 1-7-1 and so on. A typical pro bodybuilder might be a 2-7-3, say. According to Sheldon an individuals somatotype was genetically determined, that is, set at birth and not modifiable by training and/or diet. However a lot of simple systems used to determine an individuals somatotype attempt to do so using things such as limb dimensions, or bodyfat measurements, attributes that are in fact readily modifiable. Hence their results aren't necessarily completely accurate. Sheldon determined a somatotype from a range of visual cues and, interestingly enough, associated certain psychological profiles with the various bodytypes. The latter failed to find favour with the psychological establishment. To find out more Google for "somatotype Sheldon".

• 4 months later...

I don't go along with Sheldons theory too well. It's far too condensed - there are so many different shapes & sizes out there that most people would probably have a mix of 2 or sometimes all 3 of these types.