HOT TOPIC: Help the newbie?

Pseudonym

Do you help a gym member if they need it?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you help a gym member if they need it?

• Absolutely! In turn, they might help someone else later on.
    • No time! I'm here to train myself. They should get a PT.

There's always an influx of new gym members in January as everyone makes it their New Year's resolution to get in shape. Some of them even stick around. Naturally, beginners often don't have a clue about what they should be doing. So...

Are you a good Samaritan in the gym? If you see a newbie doing an exercise wrong, do you correct them? If so, what do you say? If not, why not?

I dont give any1 advice on their technique / form unless they ask me for it. Many times in the past Ive ( as humbly as I could ) approached newbies or the likes in reagrds to their tech / form and always usually get the ole 'f**k off, i know what im doing' :evil: look.

Maybe there are too many fat heads at my gym... 8) 8) 8) 8)

i just leave ppl i see doing an exercise wrong.

i think yr ther to train yr own physique and i prefer to and have others mind ther business.

e.g my last back workout i was doing deadlifts and this know it all tells me ive got to keep my legs stiff and tht wont do my lower back.

if someone wants help im sure theyll ask. its not like the gym doesnt have instructors.

I voted yes, although the second part of the yes answer was irrelevant.

I am glad to help anyone in the gym who comes up to me and asks for help, weither it be diet advice, workout advice, or even just a spot. I dont approach people though, i hate it when someone comes up to me and tells me im doing something wrong, or that my technique is a little off, as far as im concerned i have my own way of training and they have their way, there is no reason to try to force your methods onto another BBer, sure if his technique is fully whack then yeah, but otherwise unless he approaches me for advice ill keep to myself.

You can tell if a person in your gym is pretty much a n00b anyway, you always see the regulars, most people know each other fairly well. Usually i can spot a n00b in the gym, and they will usually ask other people for advice on there own.

So yeah, i say unless the gym asks you then mind your own and get on with your workout.

The only time Ive ever intervened with someone's training was when I saw a guy trying to do leg extensions on the fricken lying leg curl machine :shock:

I thought I was doing him a favour by discreetly showing him where the actual leg extension machine was and he looked at me like "F&*# OFF!" and continued doin wot he was doing... the twat.

I hate being interrupted during training... some ppl feel the need to come up and tell me that as a girl, I shouldn't be lifting so heavy :madman:

Pisses me off... which is why I now listen to my ipod throughout my whole workout :grin:

The only time Ive ever intervened with someone's training was when I saw a guy trying to do leg extensions on the fricken lying leg curl machine :shock:

I thought I was doing him a favour by discreetly showing him where the actual leg extension machine was and he looked at me like "F&*# OFF!" and continued doin wot he was doing... the twat.

And it's guys like that that quit after a few weeks because they don't notice any improvements.

And it's guys like that that quit after a few weeks because they don't notice any improvements.

This is the season for starting and quitting a short time later, my gym was pretty busy the other day, but I am sure te numbers will thin out in Feb

I hate being interupted from my workout by someone telling me that im using to much weight. Just before i took a break, i was shrugging about 260ish and this guy says in the middle of the set, "man thats too heavy, you could do yourself a serious injury", i was going to laugh but i was trying to finish the set :pfft: