getting fit...?

of_wolf_and_man

right, im a noob to this bodybuilding thing and i've just been training for the sake of gymming... but now i want to get serious. I have come across a few blocks though... How do u get/keep fit (as in aerobically fit) without getting too skinny?? I've stayed well away from running and even skipped the whole summer training for my school soccer team... is there a way to add and keep the size and muscles along with the fitness or is there either BIG or skinny??

right, im a noob to this bodybuilding thing and i've just been training for the sake of gymming... but now i want to get serious. I have come across a few blocks though... How do u get/keep fit (as in aerobically fit) without getting too skinny?? I've stayed well away from running and even skipped the whole summer training for my school soccer team... is there a way to add and keep the size and muscles along with the fitness or is there either BIG or skinny??

i would stay away from really agressive cardio like running.

if you want to do some cardio, you could do walking, biking etc. juts dont overdo it.

its all about trial and error really. remember if you do cardio, your gonna need to eat more than if you dont.

I was dismayed to find how unfit I was recently when I ran less than 5 minutes up the road to a friend's house. Then I collapsed on his doorstep in a pool of gasping sweat. :P

Sure, it was uphill (slightly), but I've decided my general fitness needs major work. I just got a mountain bike, so I'm going to be experimenting with exactly this question...

• 2 weeks later...

right... i've decided to go back to the soccer training to try and get fit again... tell me if you think this is too intense or if it's going to lose the size...

we train for 2 hours, 3 evenings a week. a light jog around the pitch for a warm up and stretch.

short 5 min max. drills (agility, speed and small ball control) to get us good to go.

"hardcore" fitness, time depends on the day's training schedule...

Day 1. One-Tweny's : Sprint from one end to the pitch to the other in 12 seconds, and jog back in 33seconds getting your breath back. Its a 45 second cycle, repeat 8 times (non-stop)

Day 2. Time Trial : A cross coutry course around the school which is around 1.6~1.8km. usually about 9 to 10 minutes at pretty fast jogging.

"Circuit" training, around 10 minutes, consists of 7-8 stations, lasting 45 seconds each. exercises include push ups, walking lunges, burpees, squat jumps into sprints, sit-ups, and other drills (too lengthy to explain)

and the remaining hour or whatever is spent on ball work, set-piece drills and a small game.

so, what to you think? Keep going with this 3times a week? or ditch the field and head to the gym? (keep in mind that i want to step on stage some time in 2007 :grin: )

My guess is that as long as you keep the food intake high enough to compensate for the extra exercise (and that may be really high), you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

You would have to be careful to structure your workout around the soccer training days though - don't do both on the same day, and try to train legs away from a soccer day if you can.

I really don't know though, so I'll be interested in everyone else's replies.

(Can you get out of soccer training if you find it's holding back from bodybuilding? Or is it something you have to commit to from the start?)