HOT TOPIC: This time next year?

Pseudonym

With the end of this year fast approaching, it seems appropriate to look ahead at the year to come.

This time next year, where do you want bodybuilding in this country to be?

I've deliberately left this question vague, so you can interpret it as you like. You might comment on bodybuilding as a sport, bodybuilding as a culture, bodybuilding organisations, bodybuilding popularity with the general public, gyms... absolutely anything at all.

Personally i would like to see more effort put in to get more and more people into the sport. I mean sure, i would say a lot of people dabble in a bit of gym training at some stage, but they obviously dont proceed with it to the point of entering competitions. Im not sure if this is because they are dissapointed with their initial gains? or they feel that they well never be up to competition standards or what?

I would find the results of a survey, that questioned regulars at gyms around the country as to why they do or do not plan to take their training all the way to competition level etc, very interesting, so much so they i may make up such a questionaire and leave it at a few of the local gyms.

I would also like to see a lot more gyms around the country have better and a wider variety of equiptment. Im sure some of you out there are thinking all the gyms in your area are fine, but across the board i dont think they are.

Obviously if the popularity of bodybuilding increased that would be good too :grin:

I would also like it if the stigma surrouning BBing dissapeared, im talking the whispers you hear at the gym when your lifting really heavy or when a big guy walks past etc.

Thats all for now lol :pfft:

It would be great if the women's competitions were abolished and women required to compete with men and judged on the same criteria. Ideally all sports would do this. Some resolution of the steroid testing issue could be sought, perhaps by giving up and only testing for things like GH and insulin if possible. Also, perhaps some training-related competitions that would appeal to the average gym goer could be organized. The "strong arm" competition I went in a while back may have been fairly silly, but perhaps more formalized versions of competitions like that, that allow trainers to display their talents in a non-freakshowish way, would appeal to a wider audience.

i would actually prefer to see higher quality athletes, compared to tons of new low quality ones.

I disagree woth you there jono. You HAVE to get more and more people into BBing, it is a MUST. The thing is when you just start out, nobody knows exactly how much potential they have, perhaps they are destined to be the next MR NZ.

If you widen the pool base at the very lowest level it will have a trickle through effect all the way to the top.

You can not have a wealth of qualtiy athletes and not have a large pool base at the lowest level, its the reason why NZ is so good at rubgy, just about every young man in this country has had a go at playing rugby in their lives.

You have to really establish that lowest pool base, get anyone and everyone giveing bbing a go.

I'd like to see the whole profile of bodybuilding raised. Our sport has a cult following very much like surfing does... so why doesn't it have the same profile? Surely more people go to the gym than surf?

Perhaps, as Growth said, we need to remove the stigma associated with our sport. I bet the standard gym-goer doesn't feel comfortable saying, "I am bodybuilding" - even though they are training to improve their physique in some way. I think THAT's what we need to change - the public perception of a bodybuilder.

Once that perception changes to "anyone who tries to improve their physique", it would instantly mainstream bodybuilding. Anyone who went to the gym would be a bodybuilder. At that point, the step up to a competition wouldn't be so daunting, and people would be more willing to think about competing.

jono wrote:

i would actually prefer to see higher quality athletes, compared to tons of new low quality ones.

I disagree woth you there jono. You HAVE to get more and more people into BBing, it is a MUST. The thing is when you just start out, nobody knows exactly how much potential they have, perhaps they are destined to be the next MR NZ.

If you widen the pool base at the very lowest level it will have a trickle through effect all the way to the top.

You can not have a wealth of qualtiy athletes and not have a large pool base at the lowest level, its the reason why NZ is so good at rubgy, just about every young man in this country has had a go at playing rugby in their lives.

You have to really establish that lowest pool base, get anyone and everyone giveing bbing a go.

I personally think that far too many people compete too early, without doing the hard yards first. They then struggle to put on muscle because they stay too lean & turn up every year looking the same as previous.

Until all the political shit is sorted out I don't believe bbing in NZ will grow.

Now being positive, I'd like to see the sport grow in profile as well.

jono wrote:

I personally think that far too many people compete too early, without doing the hard yards first. They then struggle to put on muscle because they stay too lean & turn up every year looking the same as previous.

Until all the political shit is sorted out I don't believe bbing in NZ will grow.

Now being positive, I'd like to see the sport grow in profile as well.

this is what i base my view on, everybody seems to think all they need to do is cardio and tan and they can do a show. but most of these ppl have no muscle mass. then they spend the next 5 years "staying lean" or "lean bulking" and look the same at the end of their 5 years as they did at the start.

i really disagree with that whole thought process eh. i think you need to spend years in the gym working hard before you even think of doing a show. and then i think you should spend more time improving etc.

look at the ppl who stay lean and compared their progress with those who are willing to put a little fat on, you really cant compare the 2. the lean ppl always look the same. and they are normally the ppl who bag the ppl who bulk hard as "too fat" then come show time those who bulked hard diet down and destroy the guys who stayed lean.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be great if the women's competitions were abolished and women required to compete with men and judged on the same criteria. Ideally all sports would do this. Some resolution of the steroid testing issue could be sought, perhaps by giving up and only testing for things like GH and insulin if possible. Also, perhaps some training-related competitions that would appeal to the average gym goer could be organized. The "strong arm" competition I went in a while back may have been fairly silly, but perhaps more formalized versions of competitions like that, that allow trainers to display their talents in a non-freakshowish way, would appeal to a wider audience.

I agree with you on this one. I went to a "Battle of the Bench" competition at the Otara rec in Auckland a couple of years back I think, between the different city council gyms and it was awesome.

There were guys training up for it months in advance. Gave ppl a goal to work towards (especially those that just go to the gym day in and day out to work on their chest :pfft: ) The event itself was professionally run and had good quality prizes from what I can remember.

And on the subject of ppl competing to early...

...most of these ppl have no muscle mass. then they spend the next 5 years "staying lean" or "lean bulking" and look the same at the end of their 5 years as they did at the start.

I agree with this as well. Some ppl I know bulk up during the off season then do cardio like hell to get as lean as they were in a previous competition.... so they're basically back to where they started.

I know its not possible to have your comp body all year round, but maybe ppl try to stay lean because they like that look? Could it be vanity? Everyone sees you training at the gym getting ready for a comp all conditioned and hard.. then a couple of months later you're soft and... yeah you get the idea. Or maybe they just don't want to go through the long process of losing the bodyfat all over again. Some ppl lose ALOT of weight to get to a competition standard and are scared to gain fat after a comp.

IMO, one competition a year is enough. Or even take a whole year off. The one exception to this would be to do a pracitice run in a comp close to the date of your planned competition... to get a feel for the stage, practice the routine & poses in front of an audience... etc etc. You may not win 1st place, but the experience will be invaluable in the leadup to your planned comp.

I've heard how ppl have done up to 5 comps a year ( :shock: ) and all power to them (I don't have the discipline to do that!) but I believe our bodies need a rest after all the stress we put it through in comp preparation. It needs time to grow and in my case, test out some supplements I've been curious about throughout the year to see the effects they have on me.

eh, i'm sick of typing now. I'm still a bit green on this subject... I'm just going by the little experience I have, so I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.