Webhosting

Cornfed

I've just been checking out various website hosting services. It brought to mind a question that I've pondered in the past: Why do the NZ hosting services suck so much and, given that they suck, why does anyone use them?

From my limited experience, most website designers also seem to suck, especially in the sense that they lack even common-sense business acumen when designing sites for small businesses. I don't see why anyone uses them either, when anyone with basic computer skills can put up a site these days.

Heh... Just two minutes ago a friend asked my opinion of http://webbase.co.nz/hosting/nix.htm and we'd had this very same conversation.

Having said that, I was quite impressed with what webbase seemed to be offering. The plans wouldn't suit us here, and they still fall short of the overseas alternatives, but the gap is certainly closing.

Domain Registrations

.COM / .NET / .ORG

1 Year Registration

order now $29.99

:S

http://www.dot.co.nr have domains for $2.95 a year.

That's outrageous. I don't know about the organisation mentioned, but reliable registrars like Godaddy charge 8-9 USD to register a domain, which would be about half that price. I suspect the NZ organisations just use their services and pocket the difference.

Domain Registrations

.COM / .NET / .ORG

1 Year Registration

order now $29.99

:S

http://www.dot.co.nr have domains for $2.95 a year.

That's outrageous. I don't know about the organisation mentioned, but reliable registrars like Godaddy charge 8-9 USD to register a domain, which would be about half that price. I suspect the NZ organisations just use their services and pocket the difference.

Godaddy is 7.95

thats on the high end of things... NZ is just extreme

Thoes prices are frigin rediculous, just as bad as any new zealand web host... 2gb of space will cost over $350 a year...

That's not that bad though.. I mean 2GB storage with 5GB transfer, bundled with all the tools, Linux/Windows platforms, SQL databases, etc. I mean, the question comes down to.. what the Hell are you doing with it? If you are setting up a serious e-commerce site with the intent to run a profitable business, then wtf is $350/yr? That aint shit for support costs. We were charging about $US 150 per month for packages like this, and we were in the mid-range (2002).

But, if you're just hosting a few MPEGs, JPEGS etc. on a brochureware site, why do you need all this power? I mean, any strip down host (US or Virgin friggin' islands) would do. Who cares where the data resides. In this case, IntenetMagic in San Rafael, CA is a damn good deal. I have 4 websites presently hosted there. Good service and no uptime problems whatsoever.

http://www.freewebhost.com/

Thoes prices are frigin rediculous, just as bad as any new zealand web host... 2gb of space will cost over $350 a year...

That's not that bad though.. I mean 2GB storage with 5GB transfer

If the data transfer is per month (it doesn't seem to actually say) then I don't see how you could begin to run a successful e-commerce site with that. Yahoo! offers 400gb transfer for about the same price plus better features.

Yeah, the 2gb of space is fairly average... you put up 2 or 3 movies and that space is gone. And with 5gb bandwidth a month you are going to be run dry in 5 - 10 days.

I am buying a new hyosting plan next year, i think its going to cost about $110 - $120 nz all up

http://hostony.com/hosting.html

Special plan... host only kick ass, linux hosting to boot, i wouldnt trust my site with a windows system.

1.5 gb space (1500mb)

200gb bandwith

that is good hosting

• 3 months later...

I decided to revive this thread because I'm thinking of making some extra money by putting up websites for people and small businesses in my area, and while I'm at it I may as well put up a site advertising my service as well as reselling domain names and hosting space and providing links to products people getting onto the Internet might want, including the odd affiliate link. Hence I could use some advice. Is there likely to be much demand for designing simple website these days, and if so what would be a reasonable price to ask? Also, if you were an Internet newbie looking to set up your own site, what kinds of products would you be interested in?

Further to this, what kind of workaround is generally used if you want to use cheap foreign hosting services but also want a .nz address? I haven't been able to locate a foreign hosting provider that registers .nz domain names at a reasonable price yet. I suppose one way of doing it would be to use a NZ provider to register your domain name and then transfer it to the foreign provider. (Presumably, that was done with this site).

Your hosting providers (whether NZ-based, or overseas) will be used to people registering their domains with another company. Both the host and the registrar should be able to tell you which details you need to configure, to set your domain pointing to your website.