university lecturer sacked

Mo250

i think that storys really interesting, it highlights the facts that schools are willing to accept persons with poor written or spoken english, as long as they can pay the fees.

its an interesting filter into society, how many times have you rung a call center, gone to a bank etc....and not been able to understand what the person you are dealing with is saying to you?? or flipside, they cant understand you?

having said that...low unemployment means every "grad" wants to start on $50k , as management, and isnt willing to wait and work their way up

i think that storys really interesting, it highlights the facts that schools are willing to accept persons with poor written or spoken english, as long as they can pay the fees.

its an interesting filter into society, how many times have you rung a call center, gone to a bank etc....and not been able to understand what the person you are dealing with is saying to you?? or flipside, they cant understand you?

having said that...low unemployment means every "grad" wants to start on $50k , as management, and isnt willing to wait and work their way up

Quite the contrary mate... these kids dont make it into society.

After 3.5 years of uni I realized, these kids are CASH COWS.

Universities love them.. why wouldnt they ?

Think about it.. I pay 8,000 a year in fees.. they pay upto 40,000 a year in fees.....

who is it more profitable to accomodate ?

I know many of these kids and have seen their work.

I have nothing against them as a disclaimer, and some intl students are my closest friends.

But the level of english they show is SHOCKING....

yet.. they get the same grades as us... you see, universities make a little exception over the language part..

I aint bitching much, I got my education, and got through.. upto uni if they want to lower their standards with sub standard academic work by international students.

Saw this in the Herald the other day.. He should've known better no.gif After reading the email, I thought he came across arrogant, almost racist. Sure, she's a sucky student - but don't bring her culture into the picture and DON'T ask whether her father actually died!

He seemed apologetic though (after giving some lame excuses for his behaviour lol). I have to say, imo its nice to see a teacher trying to uphold academic standards - it must be a frustrating issue for him to have to say something so drastic :shock:

Why shouldn't a lecturer be allowed to ask the question? She had already passed the hand in date for the assignment, lord knows I used to try and pull stunts like that to get off assignments. It's commonplace! Props to him for not being afraid to put it out there in this RIDICULOUSLY politically correct environment we now live in.

What about the episodes a few years back wher Asian students were sitting exams for each other and falsifying student id's to do so? Is pulling those students up for cheating racist? Don't pull that card, it's so old it should be put to rest.

I fully support Buchanan and his stand. He was only trying to uphold standards as opposed to lowering the bar for the sake of the mighty dollar.

:shock: I can't believe her family wouldn't tell her about her father's death in case it'd disrupt her studies wth.gif Should've known there was more to the story no.gif

What about the episodes a few years back wher Asian students were sitting exams for each other and falsifying student id's to do so? Is pulling those students up for cheating racist?

Nope. That's blatant cheating no matter what race you are, so why would it be considered racist to pull them up for it?

You are close to failing in any event, so these sort of excuses-culturally driven and preying on some sort of Western liberal guilt-are simply lame.

Since when is needing some time off for a parent's death culturally driven or a western phenomenon? Yeah I understand how you'd pull excuses from anywhere to get off assignments etc, I've tried doing it myself :shifty:, but I just do not believe that she'd take something serious like her father's death so lightly as to use it to her advantage for an assignment extension shrug.gif

Poos, it was apparent she hadn't started the assignment by the hand in date, nor did she understand what it was about. He was justified to think she may have been scamming him, hence why he asked for a certificate from Student health to prove this was the case. He probably had the same stunt pulled many times before.