Captains of Crush Grippers

Grimmer

Hello knowledgeable people,

Firstly, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place...I'm new.

So I have been doing a lot of grip strength stuff lately and I am very close to a COC #3 close. I can close the #2 in both hands and the #2.5 in my right hand.

Has anyone been down the certification road? I'm just wondering if NZ is too remote? I dunno. I'm not sure how IronMind selects referees etc. I have tried contacting them but they are very slow at getting back to me. 

Also is there anywhere in NZ that stocks IronMind products? 

Thank you

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

@HumanPerformance - you've talked about COC before, haven't you?

Yes my client Joel Schulter (NZ 110kg arm wrestling champion) is the only person I have personally witnessed close a #3 COC gripper. And Ive only personally witnessed Joel and another client Ruebin De Jong (former NZs strongest man) even close a #2. No one has "officially" closed a 3 in NZ.  As TWL alluded to above Dale from Miada Gym in Penrose is the only COC representative in NZ that can officially record you as a closer of either a #2 or #3. I know Dale can close a 2 but not a 3. Even my client Joel that can close a 3 any day of the week failed to fully close it under the strict conditions that COC demands in its controlled test (supervised by Dale). If you contact Dale (just look him up on FB) he will be happy to help you get certified.

16 minutes ago, maccaz said:

these have any carry over to things needing a static grip rather than a closing grip strength? eg deadlift

Yes to a certain extent but not 100%. To close a #3 I think requires around 95kg (cant remember the exact number) of pressure, but just because you can pick up a 95kg dumbbell in one hand does not mean you will be able to close a #3. Ive experimented with this theory a lot.

12 minutes ago, HumanPerformance said:

Yes to a certain extent but not 100%. To close a #3 I think requires around 95kg (cant remember the exact number) of pressure, but just because you can pick up a 95kg dumbbell in one hand does not mean you will be able to close a #3. Ive experimented with this theory a lot.

Yeah makes sense. Closing it is more like doing a curl in your hand with 95kg. Dont need 95kg of closing pressure to hold something that weighs 95kg because of friction etc i guess ? 

Thanks for all the info guys, that's great! 

The COC #3 approx poundage is 280lb (127kg).

Wow, no one in NZ officially certified? I know what you are saying. It is one thing to close a gripper but doing it officially with a Credit Card Close is another.

Hopefully I do it soon. It's my goal for this year. 

In addition to my general workouts, every couple of days I will focus on the lower arms/grip.

This includes: Various gripper workouts on several grades, pinch grip training, wrist curls, fingertip press ups, fat grip pull ups and so on.

I am always looking to mix it up and learn from the best. John Brookfield and Joe Kinney (first man to officially close the COC #4) have put out some good vids and books. I'm always learning :-)

I've done a #2 for 6 reps with one hand and 4 the other. I've closed a 2.5 equivalent, but a COC #3 wasn't happening.

Crushing strength is incredibly different to supporting strength (deadlift) and open hand strenth (thick grip), in addition you also have maximal and endurance components ie  doing something once vs holding it for a minute.

The vast majority of strongmen rarely do grippers, tending to focus on double overhand deadlifts, farmers walks and thick bar lifts rather than crushing.

I've watched guys with far stronger crushing grips than mine fail to beat me on fat bar lifts, or double overhand deadlifts. And then I fail to beat them when it comes to a timed hold. All in the same session.

Cliffs: The idea of a 'strong grip' is misguided as there are multiple parts to grip strength.

• 3 years later...