Competing against steroids

What do you think. Is there more competitors on steroids in nzfbb then there is in nabba. I was talking to some mates about it and from who they know they have said that there is more in the nzfbb as they find the weight classes is better compare to nabba's short and tall

heaps of guys in the nzfbb are using. it's just the way it is these days. As long as gear keeps becoming more readily available more guys are going to use it. nzfbb or nabba.

I've heard rumours here and there of ppl taking yet continue to compete in nzfbb/'claim' that they're "natural" - but thats just speculation. How do you know for sure unless they've straight up told you or you've actually seen them "doing" it?

IMHO, ppl who use and compete in a tested federation are cowards.

so wat do you say people who want to get a procard do then? they arent going to get it through nabba..

drug testing in the nzfbb is bullshit IMHO and shouldnt be there and hopefully wont very soon

I'm so green in this its not funny.

But do you think its possible to win a NZFBB overall naturally? Hence be eligible for a procard? And then look at *supplementing*?

Or am I being naive... popcorn2.gif

Yes you are naive. and there is no way you can get your mens procard in the nzfbb being so called naturally. And don't tell me there have been.

I've heard rumours here and there of ppl taking yet continue to compete in nzfbb/'claim' that they're "natural" - but thats just speculation. How do you know for sure unless they've straight up told you or you've actually seen them "doing" it?

I think that just because someone competes in a tested federation, it doesn't mean that they are claiming to be natural. If a natural person was to compete in NABBA (and there are many that do) does that mean they are 'juiced'? Or maybe even idiots?

As the others have already said, a pro-card is usually on the top of these guys wish list...

A couple of facts which may be of interest:

We (NZFBB) had 30 athletes tested last year with 30 passed tests (i.e. no one failed with a positive test).

We also endorsed/approved two male Pro-card applications - one to the Overall National Champs winner who was also tested at the Nationals.

In regards to people competing and using in the NZFBB - yes, it seems quite obvious that a number of competitors are "using" while they continue to compete in NZFBB events. I know because some of these people have openly admitted that to me. I'm sure many more have been using in the past and are "clean" now. As only approx 10% of all competitors get selected for a test, it is impossible to catch many of these people.

Sure, these people who openly "use" and compete at NZFBB are cheating the other competitors who are clean. And the assumption mentioned in this thread that you can't get a pro card while we have drug testing is obviously not correct (as I outlined at the top of this post).

Should we continue with the drug testing? - that's a very good question and something that we (NZFBB) and our members need to have a good look at.

at the end of the day it's all about trying to improve your physique which usually means putting on more muscle. i have been natural since day 1 but i think it's time the nzfbb took a look at their current drug testing policy. People say it's not a level playing field if there are some guys in the nzfbb using and competing against others that are natural. Well i think it would be a much more level playing field if the testing was taken away completely. Even as a natural competitor i think thats just the way it has to be.

The nzfbb has not been generating the income to be able to put a lot back into the federation.

You want to sell more tickets to events then remove the testing. because the big guys always attract a crowd.

I agree, the NZFBB testing is crap. There's no point as people are getting around it & still remaining in good terms with the FBB so they can get their procard. Scrap the testing so these guys can get some decent competition.

How are people getting around the testing ?

by using a bit of common sense. if you know roughly how long it takes for a type of steroid to become undetectable by test then you have a fair idea of how long to come off before a show. some guys just take their chances. 30 tested out of how many competitors last year .250 plus ? not bad odds if you were a betting man.

I’d have to agree with the not testing theme .. it would be nice in a perfect world for everyone to compete on the same playing level weather it be natural or not but it simply isn’t going to happen… full credit to the NZFBB for taking a stand but it would seem that it’s as much use as banging your head against a brick wall

I'm so green in this its not funny.

But do you think its possible to win a NZFBB overall naturally? Hence be eligible for a procard? And then look at *supplementing*?

Or am I being naive... popcorn2.gif

Yes you are naive. and there is no way you can get your mens procard in the nzfbb being so called naturally. And don't tell me there have been.

I agree Muscleroids that is the odds are probably against the natural but it has been done and I know this for certain, it just about killed the guy getting there but he won the overall mr NZ making him eligible for a pro card that year.

That point aside I agree with Diamond the testing doesn't stop those that want to take steroids from taking them it simply means that they need to be smart about how they do it if they don't want to be caught. I know it is a very touchy subject and but if the testing was dropped no one would care in 12 months time. Hard to say I know.

A couple of facts which may be of interest:

We (NZFBB) had 30 athletes tested last year with 30 passed tests (i.e. no one failed with a positive test).

We also endorsed/approved two male Pro-card applications - one to the Overall National Champs winner who was also tested at the Nationals.

I heard he tested positive. Thats what he told his so called mates if it's true

Should we continue with the drug testing? - that's a very good question and something that we (NZFBB) and our members need to have a good look at.

As you will be at the AGM on Sunday why not scrap the testing. Also what happen to the other Auckland Executive they say he was good for the members and work will with Mark.S

by using a bit of common sense. if you know roughly how long it takes for a type of steroid to become undetectable by test then you have a fair idea of how long to come off before a show. some guys just take their chances. 30 tested out of how many competitors last year .250 plus ? not bad odds if you were a betting man.

You will have to excuse my ignorance of the competitive testing regime here, but are you saying athletes get tested only at shows and not randomly through the year ? If that is the case then what a waste of time, you would have to be an idiot to be caught.

There's a rumour going around in some circles that their is going to be an extra class at the nationals with the winner of that class earning a pro card. A few top nz bodybuilders I know are saying it....

so Mastertel, whats the truth in this?

Not that I'm in the running to earn a pro-card or anything.

.... that would just be ridiculous. (hint hint)

You will have to excuse my ignorance of the competitive testing regime here, but are you saying athletes get tested only at shows and not randomly through the year ? If that is the case then what a waste of time, you would have to be an idiot to be caught.

yep. hence 30 tests and 30 negative results. i only know of one guy that ever had the nzfbb testing squad turn up on his doorstep for a random sample.

yep. hence 30 tests and 30 negative results. i only know of one guy that ever had the nzfbb testing squad turn up on his doorstep for a random sample.

I know of at least three Diamond and two of them have been tested more than once like that, this is years gone past though and I'm not sure it happens as much now?

I don't recall the exact breakdown of the 30 tests, but I seem to remember at least 5 of them were "out-of-competition" tests.

Unfortunately the NZFBB does not dictate who and how many tests get conducted during the year - that falls with Drug Free NZ (ex NZSDA). At approx $600 per test (paid for by Drug Free NZ), that equals approx $18K for 30 tests, which is why so few are done.

Muscleroids - you quoted me as saying "I heard he tested positive. Thats what he told his so called mates if it's true" - that must your comment, not mine. I guess you just inserted the comment in the wrong place? :? As for rumours, we all know that many of them are just that - rumours. Sometimes a second test if required from some competitors if an anomoly is found - that can happen with all types of tests. In the end, no one ended up with a failed test last year.

As for the Auckland NZFBB Executive job - yes, this position is currently available after a resignation. I can't comment on the resignation or the reasons for it, because it will be tabled at our meeting following the AGM and this is our first meeting since the resignation was submitted. I'm not hiding anything - all I know if that Allen resigned, but he's a top guy and I'll respect his decision whatever was behind it.

How are people getting around the testing ?

there are lots of ways, the easiest being running away by leaving the venue as fast as u can after u have won yr class, probably helps too if yr best buddies and do certain things for certain ppl.. if u get my drift