The sales pitch

keats

I called les mills Hamilton yesterday considering a membership and asking for a price. I got the sales pitch. What would you like to achieve in coming here? How many times would you come per week? How would obtaining your results make you feel? I told her I just wanted prices... on went the sales pitch... I get seriously pissed off each time I hear it. A couple of years ago I worked at a gym and did her job, I was taught the same (At the gym I worked at we got a new manager just after the gym opened who actually told us never to use the pitch). I told her this but it didnt deter her.. how would you like to come for a tour? Its about time companies woke up and stopped this, in doing so she lost me as a potential member. Has anyone else had this?

Oh yes! I remember calling a gym for a price a few years back. They simply refused to give it to me - apparently it was "not gym policy" to give out prices over the phone, and the only way of finding how much a membership might cost would be to come down in person. :roll:

I suppose for the run of the mill gym virgin that can be quite helpful, but for everyone else it's just a pain in the a*s. The gyms over here are like that, you have to make an appointment with a sales consultant - who, in all honestly don't even look like they use the gym facilities themselves. First impressions last and if I walk into a gym with a fatty trying to sell me a membership, chances are, I ain't gonna buy! :twisted:

I agree with you totally Truds. This is really why many folks are deterred from joining gyms. What really irks folks is that, the better your bargaining skills are, the cheaper your fees are going to be. After joining the gym, you will realize there are others in the gym who paid much lower or higher than you for the same membership plan. This is not the fault of the sales folks who sell you the plan but the owners of the gym who tell the sales folks to do this and base their commission on that. This is one of the main reason why certain gyms or chains like the YMCA do so well is because they have an upfront fee and they are totally transparent. Everyone pays the same price and the membership fees are right there for everyone to see. There is no bargaining so everything is done professionally. I am not endorcing any gyms here but there was a time when I joined YMCA and they they even lowered the fees for folks who cannot afford the membership. I know many other gyms do that too. I can't recall the name of the organization (they have their own magazine) where they are encouraging transparency in membership fees and not tying up members in long term membership. Some gyms like Bally have a very good deal if you take up their long term membership but its very difficult for you to terminate them. If you search hard enough, you would be able to find anti Bally websites. There has to be better ethics in gyms and as the consumer, you can make the difference by telling the owners what you feel. Another great topic!