diet for overweight female

frogie2001

hey people. hoping you could give me some diet advice for a lady I'm training. she's approximately 95kg at the moment. I was going to place her on around 2k calories to bring her down in conjunction with exercise (of course)

below is a rough idea to get the calories needed and drop the fat fast. she is 100% dedicated but i just need to know if their is something grossly lacking. she will be having a daily vitamin.

comments?

F

meal 1

1 cup skinny milk

1 whole grain toast

1x fruit

meal 2

1x fruit

protein serving with water

meal 3

150gm lean protein (salmon, tuna, beef chick, etc)

mixed vege 1 cup

meal 4

1x fruit

meal 5

150gm lean protein (salmon, tuna, beef chick, etc)

mixed vege 1 cup

meal 6

1x fruit

From personal experience I don't think she will be full on a protein shake and peice of fruit 3 times a day.

I would maybe have cottage cheese or yogurt and either fruit or some nuts instead. Whole foods are more satisfying.

I think she should get rid of the bread, one slice would do nothing to satisfy me and would rather eat a hot bowl of oats with whey added.

Meal 3 and 5 look good though.

i wuld increase meal 3 and meal 5 veges.

eg.

Meal 3: large salad (2 cups lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mushroom-raw etc)

Meal 5: 3 cups fiborous veges (brocolli, carrot, corgettes, mushrooms etc)

make her feel more full.

+ add 1 tbspn of low cal sauce so it tastes yum

In all honesty I think you should look at basing her meal plans around Body For Life to begin with so that she has options and it is easy to identify portion size, as well as identifing 'clean' foods, pro/carb/fats sources. After a month or so then move on with specific measurements.

I totally agree that drinking shakes and calories ie Milk will not be satisfying - she got over weight by eating, so she needs to still feel satisfied and eat whole foods, variation is good too, looks like too many fruit and shakes... just my point of view.

For what it's worth ... not much if I'm honest, I'm still waiting for my new diet plan to come through cause I'm at a point where I don't want choice - LAZY - just tell me what to do! :nod:

In all honesty I think you should look at basing her meal plans around Body For Life to begin with so that she has options and it is easy to identify portion size, as well as identifing 'clean' foods, pro/carb/fats sources. After a month or so then move on with specific measurements.

I totally agree that drinking shakes and calories ie Milk will not be satisfying - she got over weight by eating, so she needs to still feel satisfied and eat whole foods, variation is good too, looks like too many fruit and shakes... just my point of view.

I agree with Evie if this the first time she has gone down this track with a trainer and an exercise programme. Remember when people are overweight they have normally had a crap diet (obviously) and so the changes need only be gradual and combined with the right cardio and weights the results will come. Try to adjust her eating habits for life, try not to put her on a strict diet that eventually she will stray from assuming this is a general but permanent weight loss candidate?

It seems most people interested in getting in shape and losing a bit of weight end up failing because they usually try to completely overhaul their diet in one sweep.

I'd get her having a more substantial breakfast - oats? Muesli? Eggwhites? And encourage her to eat lotsa fibrous veges with her lunch and dinner. I've never met anyone who got fat eating veges ;) Maybe you could even sub one of the meals with a protein shake/fruit for a small tin of tuna and a couple of rice cakes for some variety? Some EFAs and looooooootsa water, and to drink like its going outta style :D

I think teaching the quality foods is better than the quantity at this stage - ppl eat less anyway just from the sheer bulk/volume of "clean" foods. Its pretty cool 'cos they're usually surprised when they crunch the numbers that they were eating waaay less than what they'd thought or would usually eat!

hey thanks for the itips.they are taken on board. she is one of those girls that just wants to be told what and when to eat at the moment so I'm taking that on baord. in ragards to the variation maybe i wrote the first email a bit restrictive, but she is getting tons of variations in vegetables, proteins etc. what protein alternative can we use for milk? switch it to a can of tuna?? either way I'm getting to do a daily diary, so I will see if she lets me post it up on the site. at the end of the 10 weeks I will put her stats up and photos (if she lets me) :)

what protein alternative can we use for milk? switch it to a can of tuna?? either way I'm getting to do a daily diary, so I will see if she lets me post it up on the site. at the end of the 10 weeks I will put her stats up and photos (if she lets me) :)

How about cottage cheese or unsweetened yoghurt? Yoghurt is yumminess with some protein powder mixed in yum.gif

Stats and photos would be cool!! That'd be a great motivator :nod:

hey guys, well she has completed her first week on the diet, and has lost a reasonable 3.5kg for her first week. I ahve got her to maintain her meal numbers and portion sizes, and she is exercising am and pm 5 days a week, and once a day on the weekends. I have added nuts and skinny yogurt to her diet o maintain a bit of variety in there and she has been 95% compliant with the diet, so will give you another up date after her next weigh in on saturday. by the way I am still trying to get her to release some pics so I can put her before and afters up :)

3.5kg in ONE week :shock: Nice one coach! clap.gif

I'd also encourage her to focus more on changes in the mirror/measurements/increased strength rather than fully on the scale... some can get obsessed with the scale number going down rather than the whole recomposition thaaang (not that she is, but she could be showing a whole lotta progress without seeing much change in the scale number ;))

You've got her exercising 6 days a week though?

Look forward to hearing her progress :nod:

Good results - you must have increased her water intake! A high First week/s weight loss is often attiributed in loss of water weight, which is great cause her body will be functioning well.

I can't stress enough the value of Photographs to guage progress, you sometimes loose sight of how far you've come when you forget where you started! This should help her as time passes and the kilo's lost are less on the scales. Sure helped me to remain focused!

Well done to you both, keep it up.

hey all, just an update on the progress. well the last week wasn't a loss, infact she bounced a little. upon grilling her i found , she cheated on the diet, protion sizes increased, meal numbers decreased, and pizza was involved, and the exercise decreased. she is back on track now, as she is really upset from the last weeks effort. One thing I did suggest to her to accelerate the losses is the aid of a fat burner. However she doesn't like taking pills. So is there a liquid form available for her to take? or does anyone else suggest anything?

One thing I did suggest to her to accelerate the losses is the aid of a fat burner. However she doesn't like taking pills. So is there a liquid form available for her to take? or does anyone else suggest anything?

There's no use using a fat burner if she can't stick to her diet or training. She's even more likely to eat crap if she thinks she can fall back on thermo's. Get her to stick to a decent diet and regular training for a good few months and then see if she needs the thermo's.

One thing I did suggest to her to accelerate the losses is the aid of a fat burner. However she doesn't like taking pills. So is there a liquid form available for her to take? or does anyone else suggest anything?

There's no use using a fat burner if she can't stick to her diet or training. She's even more likely to eat crap if she thinks she can fall back on thermo's. Get her to stick to a decent diet and regular training for a good few months and then see if she needs the thermo's.

I agree, if she thinks there is a "magic" pill she will be less inclined to be strict with the diet

hey all, just an update on the progress. well the last week wasn't a loss, infact she bounced a little. upon grilling her i found , she cheated on the diet, protion sizes increased, meal numbers decreased, and pizza was involved, and the exercise decreased. she is back on track now, as she is really upset from the last weeks effort. One thing I did suggest to her to accelerate the losses is the aid of a fat burner. However she doesn't like taking pills. So is there a liquid form available for her to take? or does anyone else suggest anything?

Yeah, don't worry about the fat burners.

How many cals have you got her on at the moment? She might be overeating/bingeing because she's not eating enough in the first place.

hey all. thanks for the feedback, the cals that she is on is 2000 -2500day with the break up of the meals she is struggling to fit them all in, as she says she is too full.

the fat burner is more for in a few weeks time, after I know that she is steadily dropping. i suggested it more for when the weight loss slows a bit (once it gets started). any ideas on a liquid form one????

• 2 weeks later...

well it seems that the lady has been cheating a fair bit over the last week. regardless on me staying in constant contact with her, she has managed to sneak food (wendy's and burger fuel etc) into her diet. she had a blow out last sat after her awesome losses, with alcohol, and cheesy lasagne. Not only that but she has been only doing the pm workouts and nothing in the am.

So all this put together she has bounced up 0.8kg for the week. I'm rather dissapointed and she says she is too, however I have given her the tools, and shown her how to use them. at the end of the day it's up to her. any thoughts on how I can encourage her to sort her Sh$t and stick with it. standard excuse of "oh it's so hard not to eat wendy's etc"

Sounds like just a few too many blowouts, I would be questioning her motivation/dedication, just a few short weeks and so very little self control. Wendys and burger fuel, saying its too hard to resist is just taking the easy option. I wouldn't be wasting my time unless she starts proving she is serious.

I found the same problem Frogie - frustrating isn't it?! You spend all that time and effort showing them how to do it right, and then they choose not to follow the advice. At this point, I don't think there's much more you can do. As you say, you've provided the tools - the rest is up to her. When she realises that, she'll get back on track.

Mind you, there is a flaw in that argument... Every summer for the last few years, I've had the same email from a morbidly obese friend: "Pseudo, I know I've said this before, but this year I mean it. I'm really grateful for all the help you've given me in the past, and I'm really sorry I haven't been able to stick it, and I quite understand if you don't want to help me now, but this year's going to be different." So I help him, of course - what else can you do? But I don't hold my breath.

(To be fair, he's put himself on the Jenny Craig diet at the moment, and the weight's coming off. It's not my ideal diet, but so far he's managed to stick to it, so I'm keeping quiet.)

You could always try showing your friend this article:

http://www.nzbb.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=overcome

Its shock factor seems to do the trick, at least temporarily.