Newbie to supplements

Chief

Sup guys. I hope that i am on the right forum. Looking at some of you guys i feel a little out of place. I have been doing weights on and off for about five years. Lost abit of weight doing weight(fat) a few years back and have now put abit on so am a bit overweight. So i am wanting to get back into it seriously and try to slim down and finally get some muscle and strength. Ill be doing like 4-5 session of cardio a week for the fat loss and 4-5 sessions of weight training. I've got my diet set and take my 100% whey protein powder but was wanting to take like creatine or something like that to aid muscle building. That sound like a good idea. Anything else you could recommend. Im not the richest man around (student) but have enough money to get some stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

welcome dude, limit the burgers and k- fry , tuck into plenty of tuna , its fairly cheap, and hammer the weights home, id leave the creatine out for now, only my own exp , i started using it after around 6 months at the gym and it gave me a good boost in reps and a great pump,

dont overdo it , plenty of beginners go too hard and loose interest before they see any results... rome wasnt built in a day, nor was arnold or ronnie for that matter

cheers blair :)

Sup guys. I hope that i am on the right forum. Looking at some of you guys i feel a little out of place. I have been doing weights on and off for about five years. Lost abit of weight doing weight(fat) a few years back and have now put abit on so am a bit overweight. So i am wanting to get back into it seriously and try to slim down and finally get some muscle and strength. Ill be doing like 4-5 session of cardio a week for the fat loss and 4-5 sessions of weight training. I've got my diet set and take my 100% whey protein powder but was wanting to take like creatine or something like that to aid muscle building. That sound like a good idea. Anything else you could recommend. Im not the richest man around (student) but have enough money to get some stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Don't feel out of place! We're all on the same mission as you to put on muscle 6ef12e2f.gif

What does your diet look like right now? Can you post up a typical day?

Hi Chief! I'm with Blair on the creatine - much better at this stage to spend your money on good clean food. I've always had mixed feelings about creatine anyway - personally I don't see enough of a result from it to call it a must-have supplement. Nice for a boost (even if it's only placebo), but don't lose any sleep if you can't afford it.

typical day?

Muesli yoghurt and fruit for brekky

Shake or almonds for mid morn

Ham/tuna/chicken with salad on wheat bread for lunch

Shake after workout in avo

Loads of veges and whatever meat we have in freezer:)

Thats about my day give or take. Not hard out strict on it just trying to knock out the crap food really. No more KFC and potato chips. I'm living with my girlfriend who loves her food. She is still slim but eats crap and man its hard to not have some bad food with her :oops: My main goal at the mo is to lose abit of fat first then start on the muscle but as we all know the more muscle you have the more energy you burn.

Cheers for the advice guys

My main goal at the mo is to lose abit of fat first then start on the muscle but as we all know the more muscle you have the more energy you burn.

Bro - there is no reason why you can't both put on muscle and lose fat at the same time. You pretty much said it yourself - the more muscle you have, the more calories your gonna burn.

Best of luck with your goals... :):)

I've got my diet set

Not really.

First thing you need to do is sort out the diet. You need more protein - aim for at least 2g per kilo bodyweight each day i.e bodyweight 80kg you need to eat at least 160g protein from quality protein sources chicken, tuna, salmon, lean redmeat, eggs (whole and egg whites), whey, low fat dairy, divided out over 6 or 7 meals. You should be feeding yourself protein every 2-3 hours.

From what you've posted you're way below what you should be eating. Add protein to your breakfast and add another protein shake or some other form of protein just before bed. With that much training and you're current diet you will fade away to nothing. You'll burn stacks of muscle off but not much fat and probably hit a brick wall in about 4 weeks.

Drop the ham - pure evil for dieting. Muesli should go too - too many sugars and typically high fat. The worst combination of foods are high sugar/high fat. Stick to nice complex carbs like oats for breakfast, and have 3 or 4 egg whites, or whey protein.

Add some more essential fats in - almonds are good but also add in a can of salmon or fatty fish at least 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe some avocado too.

If you can drop the bread as well you'll be better off. Otherwise at least make sure it's 100% wholemeal bread (not just brown bread or white bread that has colour added to it).

Cheers bro thats mint advice. So what options do i have for breakfast. Used to have that oatmores that sweet. what about in a pinch. Sometimes dont have the time to cook up eggs or anything so just throw in some toast which i know is bad. Any other ideas.

So is that tinned salmon ok. Tuna is better though a. what about the flavoured tuna. So if i cut the bread out do i just have like salad stuff with tom's, letuce, avo and stuff like that.

Thatnks for the help guys this is very helpful

Here's my tasty mass building breakfast recipe:

1c whole oats

1tbsp sunflower seeds

1-2tbsp plain almonds

1/2tbsp pumpkin seeds

1tsp each sesame seed and linseed

5 chopped dried apricots (NZ ones not turkish)

handful of sultanas

mix all dry ingredients and soak overnight in lots of water, drain off just before you eat it. No need to cook anything.

I usually supplement this with 30g of WPI at the same time.

This is my breakfast every day, I make up a whole week's worth at a time. Easy.

Cheers bro thats mint advice. So what options do i have for breakfast. Used to have that oatmores that sweet. what about in a pinch. Sometimes dont have the time to cook up eggs or anything so just throw in some toast which i know is bad. Any other ideas.

Traditional oats are great for breakfast. Check the ingredients on the side of the packet - it should just say 100% Oats. Lots of the pre-made oat packets etc are full of sugar and other icky things. 1 cup of that with water or milk in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then add in a scoop or 2 of protein powder or have a separate shake. And even some fruit if you want to... OR you can be flash like andy_r and make your own healthy concoction 9542a3ae.gif

Toast in the morning isn't bad, as long as it's wholegrain. And you don't eat the whole loaf or put sugary/fatty stuff on it like butter or jam... but oats just seem to be more filling.

Tuna or salmon - both are good choices for essential fatty acids. Whether they're flavoured or in spring water is up to you -- you have to like what you're eating if you're gonna stick to it :nod: I read somewhere in a forum (ugh.. forgot where sorry) that by replacing greens for bread in a sandwich and veggies for pasta in a pasta dish can lead to a decent weight loss in most people. Its the little things eh!

• 2 weeks later...
so what exactly is wholegrain bread? can someone name a brand and the name of it for me? because im sure most of the breads out there are white breads with a few grains thrown in to make it sound like wholegrain :roll:

Look for wholewheat bread....can be found in most organic health food stores.

so ahh, why does it matter anyway?

so what exactly is wholegrain bread? can someone name a brand and the name of it for me? because im sure most of the breads out there are white breads with a few grains thrown in to make it sound like wholegrain :roll:

Look for wholewheat bread....can be found in most organic health food stores.

so ahh, why does it matter anyway?

http://www.grainwise.org.nz/faqs.html 6ef12e2f.gif