Off season Body Fat %?

Hi all, I am just wondering if there is a good off season (bulking up) BF% to aim for (stay under)? The last one I had prior to my wellington comp was around the 8% and that was about 2 weeks out. Now 5 weeks after the comp I sit at 12% up 4kg fat and 3kg Muscle. I am finally getting my diet nailed back to plenty but clean as I went off a little after the comp as I had been dieting for Soooooo long (around 7 months strictly). I am aiming to go to the nationals in october then the Taranakis 2 weeks later, my main focus is gaining as much size as I can on chest and lats (they are growing already), and I would like to come in leaner than last time. It is a big mental challenge being happy putting some fat back on after being so over weight. Tips... Hints... and input anyone?

I used to get bodyfat measurements done in my first two years of competing, but since then I work purely on my bodyweight and how I look in the mirror as the best guide. I find this more accurate than caliper bodyfat testing, which can be arbitrary and not always accurate.

My reason for using my bodyweight as a guide is that I accept I am a hard-gainer, so my competition weight will not be much more than the previous year. So, based on a target weight, I make sure I don't have to lose more than 0.7 to 0.8kg per week during a cutting phase - so if I have 12 weeks til a comp I don't want to be more than 9kg above my target.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah i reckon no more than 12% but thats for a guy and women do carry more bodyfat than men. but the mirror is usually the best indicator. if it looks like you are carrying a bit to much fat then you probably are.

After a while you get to know your body pretty well and can make little adjustments .

This is a funny topic for me as I see guys who dont appear to be all that lean to claim a bf% of below 10% which is getting quite lean. I have to agree with diamond though around 12% is a lean % but still allows enough nutrition to maintain training intensity. It of course depends on the individual as energy levels, carb requirements etc vary quite significantly. I advocate remaining as lean as possible without hindering growth and training intensity.

Evie: Yet again diamond hit the nail on the head. Woman carry alot more bf than men and anything below 20% is regarded as fairly lean. 11% for a female is pretty damn amasing. Interesting point to note. A recent study I read found that woman's muscles per volume amount is actually stronger than mens but men have so much overall muscle we can lift heavier etc.

Hi Evie

In reply to your post, I don't pay attention to having my BF measured. If I'm fat I'm fat if not - then that's good. There's no reason to think about. Off season is the period where you are trying to gain as much muscle as possible without getting injured or ending up looking like the good year blimp. My only advice is this.... remember - body fat takes up more space than muscle. So if your pants are too tight and they don't feel right - then layoff the chips and dip.

:pfft:

Train Hard

Interesting point to note. A recent study I read found that woman's muscles per volume amount is actually stronger than mens but men have so much overall muscle we can lift heavier etc.

It has to do with the fact the females muscles fibres are aligned at a different angle to mens which produces more force over a cross sectional area.

Interesting point to note. A recent study I read found that woman's muscles per volume amount is actually stronger than mens but men have so much overall muscle we can lift heavier etc.

It has to do with the fact the females muscles fibres are aligned at a different angle to mens which produces more force over a cross sectional area.

Well if we can deal with pregnancy, labour, menstruation and all that other fun stuff then dammit, let us have more muscle per volume amount too smile2.gif