Squats

shane

Do you think doing high reps 12-15 for 4-6 sets when doing squats and legpress a good practise? I have been doing 8-10 reps 4-6 sets heavy but felt the higher reps lower weight may hit the legs harder and get a better burn anyone got any thoughts on this :grin:

How much are you using for squats?

It is my firm belief that if you're not squatting near double bw, you should be more concerned about getting a decent squat in the low rep ranges, ie increase strength. Then, you can go get your blessed pump!

I'm just mixing it up at the moment I dont want to be squating 190kgs my knees have been operated twice each so dont think the really heavy weight will do them any good. Im gunna try the high reps 15-20 4-6 sets if I can squat 100kgs 20 times in arow then i'm doing ok, then once in awhile just do some heavy stuff to break up the training sound good :nod:

• 1 month later...

I have done front squats as an alternative to back squats, although the weight is reduced you get much better isolation and form as it forces you on your heels. Ive had some awsome results from doing this.

With regards to rep ranges, I use the first two sets as warm up or prep sets to get the blood flowing and going through the range of motion. After that I load heavy with lower reps for 2-3 sets.

How much are you using for squats?

It is my firm belief that if you're not squatting near double bw, you should be more concerned about getting a decent squat in the low rep ranges, ie increase strength. Then, you can go get your blessed pump!

Quoted for emphasis.

Who's going to be able to do more reps of 140? Someone whos max is 150 or someone whos max is 200?

Rep range, sets and weight are all based on what you want to acheive. Bodybuilders train different to powerlifters and different again to sports specific athletes...

Maybe say what you are training to acheive and then we can suggest an appropriate program.

Given the knee situ, maybe you should try pre-exhausting them with 5 min hardwork on the bike followed by leg extension or leg press. That way you get the blood into the muscle group, throughly warm the knees up and you wont need the hardcore weight to get the stimulation..

My personal opinion is that the high rep range of 15 to 20 is fine, just focus hard on the leg squeeze when you squat i.e. tense you legs hard as you descend and hold the squeeze as you come up. Mix your squat routine with front, and smith machine (knees together, out wide, frog stance etc).

I found leg extension were the king for bringing out the definition you need to compete.

G'luck dude..