Tanning?

I have heard it is a good idea to have a basic tan happening before applying pro tan, dream tan etc because it makes you look better on stage. Would people generally say that this is true?

If so, I am not a fan of sunbeds, so are there any other products out there that can be applied to get a tan started leading up to a comp (that will not react with protan / dream tan etc later on)?

Cheers 8)

A lot of people use pro-tan (or an equivalent) as a base, since it's more of a stain. Then they use dream-tan as a finishing coat. Provided you let the protan dry properly first, you should have no problems. (I also know of people who've used Foodtown's Signature Range tan as a base - it's very cost-effective and apparently works just as well).

I've seen a number of top competitors not bother with any base coat under their Dream Tan. It probably depends more on your skin texture rather than colour. i.e. how much the tan will soak in.

I reckon there is no need to punish you skin with sunbeds - they are more likely to do more harm than good .... although they are nice and relaxing on cold winter days when you are cold, hungry and tired from comp prep!! :)

I do a couple of coats of Pro Tan the day before a show, a covering of Dream Tan early on the day of the show (using a hair dryer and/or hairspray to help it set) then a final light covering before pumping up (to smooth out the initial coat and enhance the glow of the tan) followed by some Hot Stuff 10 minutes before going on stage to give a bit more gloss. Some people finish off the Dream Tan coat with a light spray of cooking oil - but too much will "melt" the Dream Tan.

Ultimately it comes down to experimenting to find out what works best for you.

Yeah - I thought having to have a hardout 'natural' tan before applying the protan and then finally the dreamtan etc might have been a bit of a myth. Perhaps from the days of Arnie and co lasing around on Venice Beach huh?!

Anyway.....I agree also that sunbeds arent worth the hassle of frying yourself!

I guess I have the 'Invercargill' tan: that is white

lol :roll:

From my (limited) experience Sunbeds are a waste of time, money and skin damage. In the days leading up to the comp you will want to either wax or shave the hair from your body and in doing so most of the 'natual / base tan' you have will be exfoliated off.

Just my opinion, and everybody is different!

A sunbed a day keeps the white ass at bay, that's what i say..

Nobody likes an old fonzie but all the chicks were into george hamilton when he was kickin it and look how black that white boy was.. and it wasnt because he been rollin in the mud, nope he did the hard yards under the canopy..

Hey mastertel , what has happened to the nzfbb site, i tried to open it before and it was redirecting to a web hosting site ?

:P

The NZFBB site seems OK at the moment, Diamond. I know that we are due to change domains in new next few days, so perhaps they were testing the move when you tried to access it.

We are also in the process of handing over the maintenance of the site to a previous webmaster, and you can expect some significant changes to the format and content of the site over the next few months.