Wellington Champs Pics

Comments.....

You drew the toughest class on the day Andrew, so your placing doesn't reflect the fact that you were in good nick. Many more comps this year for you too!

I watched your class with a guy whose pretty clued up on the whole thing, Phily was heard to say your arms were probably the best in that class, but you needed to be a little harder.

If i'm not mistaken the James Zimmerman who won your class is an ex-Junior NZ champ, so tough opposition.

Thanks heaps, Dumbelldog!

The competition in some of those shots (especially the rear double bicep) looks incredibly close. Some great physiques all round. :shock:

Out of interest, what was the stage lighting like? It looks a bit patchy in some of those photos, but it could just be the flash - it's hard to tell.

The photo's tell the story fairly well, there was sufficient lighting for the three in the middle but the two on the outsides were fairly much screwed. It didn't really matter because we went through the compulsaries three times amd we were all swapped around each time so I think everyone got a fair deal in the end.

Yes, the Open Mens Under 70kg class was a beauty - the largest class in terms of numbers (5) and the most keenly contested class esp as the judges kept these guys on stage for round after round.

Correct, Waldo - James Zimmermann was NZFBB Mr NZ Junior champ in 2002 and went to the IFBB World Junior champs in 2001. He then won the NZFBB NZ Novice Under 70kg title in 2003, and last weekend was his first show since then. He has fantastic stage presence, hence he also picked up the Best Male Posing Routine award last Saturday.

I thought all five competitors were in great shape and this class is likely to be of the highest quality at Nationals later this year if these guys turn up again with any other qualifiers along the way.

This class definitely justified the decision this year to increase the Nationals qualification from the top 3 in any regional event class to the top 5.

Not quite sure what you mean, Pseudonym - do you mean Novice rather than amateur (all NZFBB competitors have amateur status)?

Just to clarify the top-3 to top-5 change: up until this year, to qualfiy for the NZFBB Nationals you needed to place in the top-3 at any regional event. This has now been extended so the top-5 will qualify - in all classes. The main reasons for this is less regional qualifying events this year plus reduced number of classes available, making it (theoretically) slightly harder for competitors to qualify for Nationals.

Hey guys , just want to say big thanks to you master tel for organsing a really good show. both shows went well, evening show was a full house and the crowd was loving it. Good to see competitor numbers were up on last year by about 15 and also good to see so many turning up in good nick.

Dumbell dog, you looked really good , mean chest on you bro. I was in your class and placed third behind james and shaun but it was a close call for the last 3 placings and could have gone either way. Those 3 rounds in the morning almost killed me.

Where do you train in the naki, have not seen you around ?

Not quite sure what you mean, Pseudonym - do you mean Novice rather than amateur (all NZFBB competitors have amateur status)?

Yeah, sorry - I did mean Novice... I was asking about the rule that said the top 3 competitors in a regional comp would only keep their Novice status until that year's Nationals - thereafter they would be considered Open competitors. Since the top-3 rule to qualify for the Nationals has been extended to top-5, does the same extension apply to the Novice definition as well?

This is the rule I was talking about

4.2 Top 3 placed competitors at any NZFBB Regional Competitions shall remained as Novice Competitors for that entire year up to & until that same year NZ National.

However, I've just read the next rule, which I don't recall seeing before:

4.3 First placed Novice competitors at any NZFBB Regional Event will automatically go to Open class after that same years Nationals, even if she/he does not compete at the NZ Nationals in that year. The 2nd & 3rd placed Novice competitors at the Nationals are exempt unless she/he have placed 1st at any of the previous Regional Event(s).

At first glance, this seemed to contradict rule 4.2, but after a bit of re-reading, I think I've worked it out. Is it saying that 2nd & 3rd placed Novice competitors actually can continue to compete as Novices the following year? If that's the case, then I guess my first question isn't quite so relevant (although presumably the numbers still need to be updated from 3 to 5). :)

some good pics there. it did look like a tough class, which one were you? what was the class? what did you weight in at?

far left, open U70kg, 68.5kgs (5th place)

You drew the toughest class on the day Andrew, so your placing doesn't reflect the fact that you were in good nick. Many more comps this year for you too!

Thanks for the feedback Waldo, yes many more comps to go and next time I will be leaner and harder!!