Low-sugar muesli?

Pseudonym

Make it yourself! Pretty easy, my mom does this all the time. I think she adds sugar and honey though.

But the trouble is, if I make it myself, I'm so lazy I take shortcuts. I think "Yeah, I don't really need that..." and "This ingredient's not so important..." and pretty soon I'm back to my plain raw rolled oats! :P

I want something pre-made, healthy, tasty and cheap - that's not asking too much, is it?!

mom

:disgusted:

Make it yourself! Pretty easy, my mom does this all the time. I think she adds sugar and honey though.

But the trouble is, if I make it myself, I'm so lazy I take shortcuts. I think "Yeah, I don't really need that..." and "This ingredient's not so important..." and pretty soon I'm back to my plain raw rolled oats! :P

I want something pre-made, healthy, tasty and cheap - that's not asking too much, is it?!

mom

how about one of those instone protein puddings?

mom

Mom? Mom? Help me mom, I need help!

Try toasting oats (dry toasted in clean frying pan), splenda, few egg whites (just enough to coat entire mix), homemade dried fruits (unsweetened), spices of choice and a few nuts.

mix all together and bake on low until crisp. then break apart in clumps for muesli.

Also had this saved on the comp.. think it was from Berardi's website:

CLEAN GRANOLA

6 cups rolled oats

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup

3 egg whites

120g chopped no added sugar dried apricots, mango, pawpaw or pears

½ cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 150ºC/300ºF.

In a large bowl, combine oats, cinnamon and ginger.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, egg whites and applesauce.

Add to oat mixture.

Loosely pat into large cookie sheet and bake for about 70 mins until golden brown and crisp, stirring after 20 minutes and 40 mins.

Turn off oven, open door and let granola cool in oven.

When granola is completely cool, stir in dried fruit.

Per half cup:

Cals: 219

Carbs: 40g

Protein: 2.2g

Fat: 5.8g

I guess if you wanted to limit the sugar you could substitute the dried fruit for ground flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts, etc.

EDIT: I just saw that you wanted something pre-made :?

Thanks PnW - those spices certainly make it look interesting... I may have to overcome my inner sloth and give it a try!

Waldo - the "mom" comment was just to point out it's a US word. NZers have a "mum" instead. Don't mind me though... just being a pedantic bastard. :wink:

Waldo - the "mom" comment was just to point out it's a US word. NZers have a "mum" instead. Don't mind me though... just being a pedantic bastard. :wink:

I know! I guess I should tidy that up seeing as I am a grammar nazi myself and things like txt spk make me want to vomit.

Chur for the heads up.