Two questions...

First, where to buy knee wraps? And any advice on knee wraps in general?

Secondly, I want to get into a lower powerlifting weight class or at least mantain my current class while I put on muscle, but I don't want to sacrifice any or not many gains. Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle if I do it reallly slow? Like a kilo a month max? I won't be competing for at least 6 months. The plan at the moment is to do a bit of cardio before breaky in the morning most days of the week and then eat normally for the rest of the day. Will this work? Or will this hinder my gains too much to be worth it?

Much thanks in advance.

First, where to buy knee wraps? And any advice on knee wraps in general?

Secondly, I want to get into a lower powerlifting weight class or at least mantain my current class while I put on muscle, but I don't want to sacrifice any or not many gains. Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle if I do it reallly slow? Like a kilo a month max? I won't be competing for at least 6 months. The plan at the moment is to do a bit of cardio before breaky in the morning most days of the week and then eat normally for the rest of the day. Will this work? Or will this hinder my gains too much to be worth it?

Much thanks in advance.

MZ,

Wraps,

You can only use sanctioned equipment, or gear. The three main ones are Titan, Inzer, and Metal. Inzer and Metal you have to get from overseas. Titan in NZ from (Tonka) Reuben Simanu rsct@ezysurf.co.nz

Wraps can give you between 5 and 15kg on a lift depends on who wraps your legs. Beside the benefits it gives for knee stability

http://www.pacificbarbenders.co.nz/shop.html

Cardio is the Swear word for Powerlifters, It wastes you Muscle zaps your Strength. Ask any BB, you are better off to eat more meals per day, train harder, have shorter rests between sets around 45 seconds.

Increase your GPP, General Physical Prepardeness and some ESW Energy Systems Work. This will take off what you want over a period of time without losing strength.

The only cardio you want to do is running to the toilet after a heavy set of squats, or racing a team mate to a All you Can Eat Buffet, or sprinting to collect the Mail.

You can ask Tonka about that :P

Article on GPP

http://www.powerhousegym.co.nz/gymforum ... php?fid=17

OB 8)

Thanks again, Old Bull. I understand GPP, but what is ESW and how would it help? I weighed myself earlier and I am right on 90kg - not a good weight to be at. I have an easy 4 - 5kgs of fat to lose, as I am somewhere between 15 and 20% BF at the moment. Best case scenario - I lose that extra baggage and when I compete be safely under 90 kilo.

Thanks I_lift, I'll pop in there tomorrow. $40 seems pretty cheap.

MZ

The word cardio is too broad a term, as many things can be included into what is called cardio... you have low intensity/low duration work (LSD ... long and slow distance), intensive intervals, extensive intervals, intensive segmented (400m for example), etc.

You could even add PLs GPP work like sled dragging and sledgehammer swing in the mix.

Basically all are forms of exercise used to "get in shape" and to shed some fat (the later being the most popular reason). However they do rely on different energy pathways. Cardio refers to cardiovascular work. That that term is too vague: any work/activity involving an increase in heart or respiratory rate could be called cardio ...

Terms like strength training, power training, hypertrophy training, strength-endurance training are all used to describe weight lifting activities.

By using the term energy system work it allows you to get more specific. E.g. Anaerobic glycolysis energy system work; oxidative energy system work, etc.

Energy Systems

No matter what sport you play, your body needs energy for top performance. Energy is supplied to your muscles from the food you eat. Your body breaks the food down into usable blocks of energy called Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the immediate source of energy for muscle contraction. Your body makes ATP available for muscle contraction through three main energy systems that are located within the muscle fibers. The energy system used depends on the intensity and duration of the activity.

1. The ATP-PCr, or Creatine Phosphate System, does not require oxygen to produce energy.

2. Anaerobic Glycolysis uses glycogen stores in the muscle to produce energy without oxygen.

3. Aerobic Glycolysis uses muscle glycogen to produce energy and occurs in the presence of oxygen.

4. Oxidative Phosphorylation uses fats stored in the body to produce energy and also requires oxygen.

This is the short version but what we do is target specific ESW to help better us, as Powerlifters. We are more Anaerobic, hence Treadmills, Bikes, Cross Trainers, Steppers do not help us for competitions, unless you are carrying 50kg rocks on the Treadmill or 25kilo sand bag in one hand to help core stability, and hip work. :D

PM me if you want any more info.

OB8)

Oh awesome, thanks, I understand! Is there a risk of overtraining the muscles because of this? Or is this type of 'cardio' fit into a plan, like to replace an exercise or once in a while or something? Also would farmers walk be any good for burning calories, because my grip strength needs some serious work (seriously, I can Deadlift about 35kg more with wrist straps...). Sorry about the constant barage of questions.

I picked up those straps for $40 from Elite Fitness as well. The Outback one's, just like my straps and belt - good brand.

Oh awesome, thanks, I understand! Is there a risk of overtraining the muscles because of this? Or is this type of 'cardio' fit into a plan, like to replace an exercise or once in a while or something? Also would farmers walk be any good for burning calories, because my grip strength needs some serious work (seriously, I can Deadlift about 35kg more with wrist straps...). Sorry about the constant barage of questions.

I picked up those straps for $40 from Elite Fitness as well. The Outback one's, just like my straps and belt - good brand.

These come into play when you are doing XWOs extra workouts.

After every ME, Max Effort or DE, Dynamic Effort Speed training day we do the extra workouts. They are a half an hour, focus is Recovery, ESW, Rehab or a Weakness.

Sledge Hammer, Farmers Walk, Tyre Flips, Keg Walks, Sled Work all help in picking up your GPP and ESW.

None of these exercises has a eccentric or "negative" too them. The non eccentric work will induce less muscle soreness and help to aid in recovery.

You will lose fat over time with these, but you will gain some muscle as a by product of Powerlifting. Shorten your rest periods between sets, we have a 45sec to a minute rest between sets. This and Farmers Walks Sled Drag etc will strip off the fat.

Straps!! well we have a problem with these. But they have there uses in the rack above the knee pulls.

If the have Velcro then only strippers should use them. :D

You pull in comp without straps, you have to build your grip strength, that is a weakness, so incorporate grip strength work. Do not do rope rolling or ie forearm work this can make your fingers fatter and harder to grip the bar.

Fat Bar grip holds, plate pinch grip, rubber bands on fingers or if you have Hex Dumbbells, grip it end on, hold for 90 seconds, weak hand first then go up in weight.

Hope this helps.

Stay Strong

OB 8)