HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH

Ford Chic

Hi Everyone,

Iv just been told im doing too much cardio (1hr morning 6 x wk + 20-35mins 5xwk afternoon after weights).

Whats everyones thoughts on how much cardio to do per day/week. Iv been told to work at around 70% this works out to be only 136bpm, is this right? seems not that hard.

Hi!

If you are training for a competition that sort of cardio programme isn't too bad. What you need to take into consideration is your current body fat and how much time you need to lose it. Contest dieting is sort of like playing poker .. you want to leave some aces up your sleeve. I'm currently 10 weeks out from show and I am doing 45-60 minutes cardio first thing in the morning and then 20-30 minutes after weights in the evening. I'll keep at this level until my bodyfat loss starts to plateau and then I'll bump it up to 45 minutes post weights .. and then 60 minutes post weights if need be. You don't want to be doing any more cardio than necessary when you're pre-contest, (a) because you don't want to be eating into hard earned muscle, and (b) you'll be nackered from the diet/weights anyway! :grin: Being in the figure class you don't want to be too ripped (dependant on federation too I suppose). What type of supplements are you taking? I'd recommend L-glutamine (pre cardio) and some BCAAs to help hold onto your muscle tissue.

xx

omg :shock: is that how much cardio i need to be doing???atm im nly doin 30mins-40mins max (10mins pre weits, 20-30mins post) n its walkin b4 and running, crosstrainer after.. And thats if i can be bothered. i get so tired after weights i jus want to go home..

:( help..

Oh no, if your bodyfat is already low enough, or it is dropping at the rate you need it to, that level is fine. I assume that the 10 minutes you're doing before your weights is just as a warm up? You wouldn't want to be going too hard out because you'll be depleting your glycogen stores - and there won't be anything left for your muscles during your weights.. After weights I'd do atleast 20 minutes.

x

I am doing 45-60 minutes cardio first thing in the morning and then 20-30 minutes after weights in the evening. I'll keep at this level until my bodyfat loss starts to plateau and then I'll bump it up to 45 minutes post weights .. and then 60 minutes post weights if need be

:shock: wowies.

Not many people that I know of. I think you'd have to be dieting for a very long time to get lean enough without any cardio (especially for the physique classes). I know of one guy over here that does a type of circuit training instead of cardio, just high reps, supersetting etc. That gets his heart rate up enough to burn off a few extra calories.

xx

Oh no, if your bodyfat is already low enough, or it is dropping at the rate you need it to, that level is fine. I assume that the 10 minutes you're doing before your weights is just as a warm up? You wouldn't want to be going too hard out because you'll be depleting your glycogen stores - and there won't be anything left for your muscles during your weights.. After weights I'd do atleast 20 minutes.

nah my bodyfat aint low enuff yet atall..round 15% i wana get to 10% n the scales arent droppin much so how much should i increase to? atm im at the gym for like 2hours, so should i instead get up in the mornin n go for a 40min walk/run(?) b4 breakfast, and then do about 30mins after weights in the afternoon?

Yes the 10 b4 is just to warm up! :)

thanks

Is this kinda cardio "normal" leading up to a comp? I suppose it'll depend on how lean you are and that too - but have there been instances of ppl doing no cardio at all and being "stage" ready?

*hopeful*

Heh... I managed to avoid doing cardio until 2 weeks out, and even then it was only 20mins a day, I think. Now I'm not saying I was in great condition - I certainly could have been leaner, but it wasn't too bad. Not getting leaner still was actually a strategic decision anyway, as then I wa so small if I got any leaner, there wouldn't have been anything left! :wink:

So I'm not saying, "You don't need to do cardio." But you can do a lot working with just diet, and you can minimise the hated cardio. :grin:

Are you doing any body fat measurements? I try not to rely too much on the scales, and more on bodyfat measurements (and a tape measurement around my butt!), clothes and the mirror (some people go by the 'trusty' eye of their loved ones, but my husband is totaly biased! he he).

If I went by the scales at the moment, I'd be crying right now. My weight is up nearly 2kg of where I was 4 weeks out from the nationals last year, but my bodyfat measurements are nearly exactly the same.

I would definitly try and get some cardio in before breakfast, it kickstarts your metabolism and while you have no food in your system your body should (apparently...) use bodyfat stores for the fuel source. If you have some glutamine take 5g before and after your morning cardio to offset any muscle catabolism. I tend to take 5g before/after my evening cardio too.

If you can get some bodyfat tests done, you can work out how much bodyfat you need to lose by your show in the time frame required. How many cals are you on a day? To burn 1 lb bodyfat is about 3500 calories so you need to roughly work out what your calorie deficit needs to be to lose the bodyfat you want. (if that makes sense?)

I've attached a worksheet that might help...(I found it ages ago on another forum, so I won't take the credit for it.. he he)

xx

Cutting Worksheet.xls

aha! yeah i havent been taking any supplements so seems i may have been eating into my muscle and training a lil bit to hi with the heart rate. so il keep up the cardio, but get me some supplements and keep within the fat burning zone.

cheers, you guys rock!

hey Truds...thats a good worksheet - thanks for putting that up!

Oh you lucky boys not having to do too much cardio! Unfortunaltey us girls have more wobbly bits than you...so it's just cardio cardio cardio..and a strict clean diet of course!

Cath :grin:

Are you doing any body fat measurements? I try not to rely too much on the scales, and more on bodyfat measurements (and a tape measurement around my butt!), clothes and the mirror (some people go by the 'trusty' eye of their loved ones, but my husband is totaly biased! he he).

If I went by the scales at the moment, I'd be crying right now. My weight is up nearly 2kg of where I was 4 weeks out from the nationals last year, but my bodyfat measurements are nearly exactly the same.

I would definitly try and get some cardio in before breakfast, it kickstarts your metabolism and while you have no food in your system your body should (apparently...) use bodyfat stores for the fuel source. If you have some glutamine take 5g before and after your morning cardio to offset any muscle catabolism. I tend to take 5g before/after my evening cardio too.

If you can get some bodyfat tests done, you can work out how much bodyfat you need to lose by your show in the time frame required. How many cals are you on a day? To burn 1 lb bodyfat is about 3500 calories so you need to roughly work out what your calorie deficit needs to be to lose the bodyfat you want. (if that makes sense?)

I've attached a worksheet that might help...(I found it ages ago on another forum, so I won't take the credit for it.. he he)

xx

hey truds.idk if ure questions are 2 me but il answer them neway :)

i had a bodyfat test done on jan 3rd with calipers and it read 14.77%. but i havent had one done since. i really want to drop to around 12%, maybe 10%ish 4 comp.

ok well i have taken ure advice and been doin cardio in the morning (40mins) for the last three days, and then 30mins at the gym (10 before weights, 20 after) what kind of effort should i be doing it at?

I already take extra glutamine 5g at breakfast, and 5g postworkout, if i was to take anymore wouldn't i overdose?the tub says no more than 3x5g servings to be taken per day, and one of my protien powders has extra glutamine anyway (breakfast, and morning tea ones).

ohh i seee, that does kinda make sense :nod: atm im eating around 1200cals-1500cals a day.how do u think i shuld change?

thanks for all the advice so far!!

oh and that sheet i opened it up but all the colums were blank :shock: so i think its not compatible wit my comp arghhhhh....

tru tru but thats the thing i dnt no wat i shuld be doin to lean down more... and im still eating a fair amount for me that calorie intake is jus normal eating i havent cut it down atall nd its all clean food so thats y im stumped.

• 3 weeks later...

hey truds.idk if ure questions are 2 me but il answer them neway :)

i had a bodyfat test done on jan 3rd with calipers and it read 14.77%. but i havent had one done since. i really want to drop to around 12%, maybe 10%ish 4 comp.

ok well i have taken ure advice and been doin cardio in the morning (40mins) for the last three days, and then 30mins at the gym (10 before weights, 20 after) what kind of effort should i be doing it at?

I already take extra glutamine 5g at breakfast, and 5g postworkout, if i was to take anymore wouldn't i overdose?the tub says no more than 3x5g servings to be taken per day, and one of my protien powders has extra glutamine anyway (breakfast, and morning tea ones).

ohh i seee, that does kinda make sense :nod: atm im eating around 1200cals-1500cals a day.how do u think i shuld change?

thanks for all the advice so far!!

oh and that sheet i opened it up but all the colums were blank :shock: so i think its not compatible wit my comp arghhhhh....

Eeer... sorry! Haven't been on this forum for a while and forgot about this thread... :oops:

Pre breakfast cardio, I usually try to have quite high intensity having my HR anywhere between 160-175 bpm (I have been known to go up to 186bpm during an RPM class :shock: ), but after weights I try to keep it lower, between 130-150 bpm so it's a bit lower intensity, but still working up a sweat and puffing.

That worksheet is supposed to be blank .. :lol: you start filling it in from the top with your weight etc... and then some of the cells have formulas in them to work out the calories etc.. :D

xx

• 1 month later...