Hey all

andy_r

Greetings. I've been lurking for ages and saying not much so I figured it is about time to get in on the action.

Also, I need some help - I'm 27 and have been training for about 15 months, and it's fair to say I was a skinny runt of 70kg (@183cm) when I started. I'm now a fairly solid 85kg, 15%bf. Thing is, I'm struggling like hell to get past 85kg. Things have ground to a halt.

My eating is pretty well under control - 6 clean meals a day, 4-5l of water, good quality protein, creatine and aminos, vitargo/glutamine PWO etc. I'm pretty bloody disciplined about eating, except for perhaps the odd occasion on the w/e, but on balance I get in >3000cal every day.

My training style has been very intense since about Oct 06 (working with a trainer, which gave me a 2kg boost initially), 4 day split: chest/tris, legs, back/bis, shoulders in that order, mostly one day on and one off. I really go for it as much as I can - loads of forced reps, negatives etc. Recently I have throttled back a bit to see if this will have an effect on mass, but no dice yet.

I get reasonable z's - 7hrs min, usually 7.5-8.

But still, I can't seem to break 85kg!

Any ideas as to strategies I could try would be much appreciated.

:)

Welcome to NZBB andy - congrats on the progress so far!

It sounds like you need to up the cals.

As you get bigger, you need more to get even bigger.

Are your numbers still progressing in the gym?

What does your diet look like exactly?

Are your numbers still progressing in the gym?

What does your diet look like exactly?

My strength gains have been pretty slow recently, aside from legs which I have made reasonably good improvements on lately (now 220kg front squat). My main weakness is bench (90kg 1RM at the mo).

Diet is as follows:

Breakfast 6.30am

1c oatmeal

30g WPI powder in milk

150g yoghurt

Morning Meal 10am

180g rump steak

1c brown rice or large baked potato

Lunch 1pm

180g tuna

1c cooked pasta

1c veges

Afternoon Meal (Pre-workout) 4pm

180g Chicken breast

1c brown rice

Workout 5.30-6.30pm

PWO shake

40g WPI powder in water

1c frozen berries

30g Vitargo

10g Dextrose

5g Glutamine

Dinner 8pm

150g meat of some sort usually beef or chicken

1 med kumara or potato

2c cooked veges

Before Bed Shake 10.30pm

30g WPI powder in milk

2tsp Milo for flavour

5g Glutamine

That's pretty much it. It doesn't vary much other than changing which meals I eat at which times.

Hope that helps!

Hey Mate welcome 220kg front squat :shock: holy shit u should talk to EU about olympic lifting

Hmm I should probably point out that this is a machine front squat! ... I haven't done a proper test but I should be about to get 160kg-ish regular squat for a couple of reps.

Oh yeah and also

multivitamin

Kre-Alkalyn

Glucosamine / Chondroitin

tried out a Kaizen NO booster this week - seemed to mess things up real good - lack of energy, low blood pressure, but hey - a wicked pump! So might have to kick that into touch.

My strength gains have been pretty slow recently, aside from legs which I have made reasonably good improvements on lately (now 220kg front squat). My main weakness is bench (90kg 1RM at the mo).

Diet is as follows:

Breakfast 6.30am

1c oatmeal

30g WPI powder in milk

150g yoghurt

Morning Meal 10am

180g rump steak

1c brown rice or large baked potato

Lunch 1pm

180g tuna

1c cooked pasta

1c veges

Afternoon Meal (Pre-workout) 4pm

180g Chicken breast

1c brown rice

Workout 5.30-6.30pm

PWO shake

40g WPI powder in water

1c frozen berries

30g Vitargo

10g Dextrose

5g Glutamine

Dinner 8pm

150g meat of some sort usually beef or chicken

1 med kumara or potato

2c cooked veges

Before Bed Shake 10.30pm

30g WPI powder in milk

2tsp Milo for flavour

5g Glutamine

That's pretty much it. It doesn't vary much other than changing which meals I eat at which times.

Hope that helps!

Hey Andy... congrats on your progress to date and welcome to the forum :grin:

Maybe I missed it, but are you taking in any healthy fats? And how much protein are you getting in a day?

Hey Andy - welcome! :)

To answer your question, everything they've said up there ^ plus a couple of other points to consider...

1) Try changing your routine more. If you've been doing 10-15 rep range, try sticking to 4-6 for a while, and vice versa.

2) Your gains will naturally get slower - sorry! When you first start, it's a real shock to the system, and your body rapidly changes. Unfortunately those beginner gains will level off - it happens to everyone. 15kg in about a year is damn good going, and if you expect to make the same progress every year after that you may be disappointed. Having said that, you should still be able to gain weight, albeit at a slower pace, so if you've stopped completely, there's definitely something wrong. :)

Wow thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

In answer to the questions:

poos: I do probably need to increase my good fats, I eat pretty clean so any good fats come from tuna, avocados, almonds and flax seed oil. In saying that I only have 2caps a day of flax seed oil so could probably beef this up to maybe 6. I'm getting in about 300gm of protein a day, most of this is from food.

2guns/Marcus/Pseudo: I really struggle to get in the food I eat now. I'm not sure that I will be able to physically stomach an increase in portion size that big. Maybe I could try shakes between meals? I'll try increasing my meat portions to 250gm and see if that helps.

Pseudo/Deegee: Thanks for the advise on training. I will try switching up my reps/sets and lift low and heavy for a while. Have been mainly training in 12 rep range - so probably overdue for a change.

I was expecting my gains to slow down at some point, but it is definitely weird to have stopped gaining completely. My goal weight is somewhere around 90kg, so I plan to bulk another 5kg and then cut my bf seeing as it's a bit high at the moment.

Thanks again for all the replies!

2guns/Marcus/Pseudo: I really struggle to get in the food I eat now. I'm not sure that I will be able to physically stomach an increase in portion size that big. Maybe I could try shakes between meals? I'll try increasing my meat portions to 250gm and see if that helps

your on the right track with things bro, just dont get any fatter cause itll just make it harder for u

your on the right track with things bro, just dont get any fatter cause itll just make it harder for u

Yeah I had next to no fat when I started - definitely has increased noticeably, but I do plan to get into the cardio and cut a bit once I push my weight up a bit more - 87kg or something.

Thanks for the advice.