6am training

manwithav8

Is it bad to train right after a meal?

I am often too busy to train through the day and have found the best time to get to the gym is at 6am. This means I am eating breakfast at 5.15am.

Is it bad news to be hitting the weights this soon after eating?

Does it affect your workout at all to train right after a meal?

If not, then it doesn't really matter. You could always have a light meal before you go, and have a more substantial one after your workout.

Yeah, yeah... I'm sure life's hard for you earlybirds. :P

But it ain't so easy for those of us at the other end of the spectrum, either. By the time I've got home from the gym, had my post-workout shake, waited, and eaten a proper meal, it's getting pretty late. In fact, I'm considering dumping the real meal altogether and just squeezing another one in during the day. I already sit a protein shake beside my bed for a midnight snack, so I wouldn't be starving myself completely till breakfast anyway. Thoughts, anyone?

I know what you mean too Pseudo.

A couple of years ago I used to train in the evenings. In those days I was married which was cool, cause when I got home from the gym, my meal was waiting for me.

Now that I'm divorced, I'd have to cook my own meal after getting home from the gym, and like you say, by the time you've done all that and cleaned up, and got the next days food ready, it's too bloody late.

I'm also on call for work and several times a week I'll have to take calls in the evening which pissed me off when I was trying to workout, so I switched to training in the mornings, which is working well for me.

I actually started training early on this tuesday. I woke up at 0350 hrs, out of the door at 4:20. I eat some fast absorbing, high carb food on my way to the gym. I start warming up at 5 am. I took a while to warm up though, 20 -30 minutes before I am ready for really intense stuff. overall I felt quite good, made a few PRs. The key is to get enough sleep, food and adjust the biological clock to suit. I finish my training session at 0645 hrs and go wash up etc. I will eat some more high carb stuff + protein on my way to work, and have a good meal at 0930 hrs. And for the rest of the day I feel quite energetic . I think after a few weeks, when I am used to it, I can even added a short training session after work at 1800 hrs. Maybe I can throw in a few sets of pulls, and work up to a daily max on squat. something like that. So I can train 6 - 8 sessions in week, and still have 3 full days of rest. Just something to try out.

When I used to train at night, I always feel a bit drained after work. so performance wasn't that great.

Yeah, yeah... I'm sure life's hard for you earlybirds. :P

But it ain't so easy for those of us at the other end of the spectrum, either. By the time I've got home from the gym, had my post-workout shake, waited, and eaten a proper meal, it's getting pretty late. In fact, I'm considering dumping the real meal altogether and just squeezing another one in during the day. I already sit a protein shake beside my bed for a midnight snack, so I wouldn't be starving myself completely till breakfast anyway. Thoughts, anyone?

Have your dinner as your post workout meal and then a shake just before bed .I think the 'window' just after your workout is a myth within an hour is fine just my theory