Creatine in a capsule

manwithav8

Recommended dose on rest day is two capsules and on training days is 4 capsules.

Is this form of creatine good or bad? The lady at the health shop preached the product because the creatine is absorbed into the body much quicker and there is no load up phase.

It was $55 for 180 capsules.

Anybody have ideas on this. Pro's and Con's to taking creatine in a capsule form.

Cheers

Do you mean NFS' Kre-Alkalyn? I tried it a while back - I think I quite liked it. There's a writeup in the Review forum, from memory.

I'm not sure about the value for money though. I've been told that the very special buffering agent is really just baking soda. You'll have to take that statement with a pinch of salt though - the person who told me that was one of NFS' competition. :)

I've been told that the very special buffering agent is really just baking soda. You'll have to take that statement with a pinch of salt though - the person who told me that was one of NFS' competition. :)

Pretty close but if you really want to know what magical formula goes into Krealkalyn here it is (thanks to the magic of Googles patent search):

Creatine, Maltodextrin, magnesium stearate, magnesium glycerol phosphate, soda ash, natural and/or artificial flavours

How to make your own:

Creatine is placed in a mixing vessel and soda ash (sodium carbonate) is added to adjust the pH to between 7 and 14. Then you add the fillers: maltodextrin plus a bit of flavour, and magnesium stearate is added as a flow agent so it doesn't stick together in the capsule. Check the pH again and then add magnesium glycerol to adjust the pH to between 7 and 14 again. WOWWEE.

The patent lists the following quantities per capsule:

Creatine........................................1000mg

Soda Ash............................5mg to 1000mg

Maltodextrin.....................................200mg

Magnesium Stearate.............................5mg

Magnesium Glycerol Phosphate.............25mg

Natural and/or artificial flavours...........20mg

The NFS krealkalyn capsule is only 750mg which got me wondering whether that means 750mg of Creatine or 750mg of Creatine plus all the other rubbish. It looks like you're probably getting a 50:50 mix of creatine and fillers so from my calculations in a 750mg capsule you're probably only getting 375mg of creatine, or in a 180 capsule bottle that's about 67.5g of creatine with an rrp of $80. Even if it is 750mg of creatine per cap it's still only 135g of creatine.

It's interesting to note also that on the Krealkalyn label it states that it contains no wheat, gluten or corn - funny thing is maltodextrin is derived from corn (maize) or wheat.

Oh and soda ash/sodium carbonate is very similar to sodium bicarbonate - however sodium carbonate forms a much stronger alkaline water solution, is more soluble, is cheaper, and for some reason not traditionally used for human consumption as opposed to sodium bicarb, as it tends to have more industrial purpose.