Rest days, How many are required for optimum growth ?

splinter

Thought i would throw it out there everyones thoughts on how much rest they feel is required between each workout and muscle groups.

I find best results when working a two day split working each muscle group every 8 days, so in total 2 workouts per week, at the moment a push and a pull day.

I know alot of you are going to think that is a long time between each muscle group but i have found it to be the best for recovery, strength and growth, this is coming from someone who for years always thought three days a week in the gym was compulsory, yet wondered why gains were minimal.

Feel free to post what you think is the best rest period between workouts and why?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I changed the training this year to be six days on, one off. Split as follows:

Mon: Back

Tues: Chest

Wed: Arms

Thurs:Shoulders

Fri: Bits (pullovers, abs, calfs plus one other exercise of my choice)

Sat: Legs

Was a bit worried to start as I thought it may be a bit much, but now sleep is back to normal, my eating has increased as a result, and the way it's structured I guess there is time to 'rest', smaller body parts in between bigger workouts like back and legs.

Have been doing this since the start of the year, and have to say that I'm satisfied with the progress. I don't display my normal over-training signals like extreme tiredness and flagging workout energy, I haven't gotten sick, and I still have energy to muck around with my son, whcih doubles as cardio.

Wow. How long is each workout?! Or are you a low-volume high-weight trainer?

I personally prefer a 4-day split. It seems to be the happy medium between overtraining on a 5-day, and cramming too much into a 3-day split.

Yep, heavy, low volume, each workout is 20-30 min max but my cns is so fried if i went in the gym the next day i wouldnt have the strength to train.

The training sessions are not as infrquent as Mentzers HIT recomendations as each muscle group is still bing worked every eight days.

Rather than having a cycle of higher volume to recuperarate every 8 weeks like i used to i just stay out of the gym for 10 days,(yep i said 10 days) this gives my joints, tendons and ligaments ample time to recuperate ready for the next heavy 8 week cycle.

Each workout focuses on heavy compound movments and each session either starts with squats or dedlifts.

Isolation exercises are minimal, i started this program at he beginning of last year but being a dumbass i went in guns full blazing and injured my lower back after the 3rd month of training with dedlifts that were way too heavy for my current progress, It took me 8 months to recover so i resumed training December 2006 since then i have beaten all my previous lifts and continue to do so on a weekly basis.

I changed the training this year to be six days on, one off. Split as follows:

Mon: Back

Tues: Chest

Wed: Arms

Thurs:Shoulders

Fri: Bits (pullovers, abs, calfs plus one other exercise of my choice)

Sat: Legs

Was a bit worried to start as I thought it may be a bit much, but now sleep is back to normal, my eating has increased as a result, and the way it's structured I guess there is time to 'rest', smaller body parts in between bigger workouts like back and legs.

Have been doing this since the start of the year, and have to say that I'm satisfied with the progress. I don't display my normal over-training signals like extreme tiredness and flagging workout energy, I haven't gotten sick, and I still have energy to muck around with my son, whcih doubles as cardio.

Yeah, my signs of overtraining are pounding eardrums, sore joints and fatigue but the eardrums thing always come first so i know its time to back off.

My current training allows ample to to recover between sessions while still growing.

Sounds like alot of work, how long is each training session ?

45-60 mins, depending on which bodypart. Usually take a little longer on legs, up to 90 mins, but it is Saturday when I do em', so I can afford the time.

Dude, thats nearly 6 hrs training a week, are you growing on this current routine?

You must be exhausted by sunday.

Expensiveurine and I are often pulling 12 hours training a week and yes we're growing.

45-60 mins, depending on which bodypart. Usually take a little longer on legs, up to 90 mins, but it is Saturday when I do em', so I can afford the time.

Dude, thats nearly 6 hrs training a week, are you growing on this current routine?

Yeah, I'm a 6+'er and I'm making awesome gains.

Just eat!

As I said, sleeping a lot more now that my son is doing the same, and have kept the calories up. And yes, I'm growing, as fast as my white european genes will let me.

During my cycling days I would spend between 15 and 25 hours a week on the bike. I still got fitter. You just have to make sure that rest, food and other recovery factors are in tune with the training routine.

Yeah, I'm a 6+'er and I'm making awesome gains.

Just eat!

So whats your daily caloric intake?

waldo wrote:

As I said, sleeping a lot more now that my son is doing the same, and have kept the calories up. And yes, I'm growing, as fast as my white european genes will let me.

During my cycling days I would spend between 15 and 25 hours a week on the bike. I still got fitter. You just have to make sure that rest, food and other recovery factors are in tune with the training routine.

there is no such thing as overtraining imo.

overtraining really means not a good enough diet and/or not enough sleep.

u can train for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week and not overtrain

It would be impossible to train heavy, intensively for 2 hrs 7 days a week without it leading to stagnation or worse injury.

Its impossible to have an intensive session for 2 hrs ?

For a start after 45 -60 min your body starts releasing cortisol which will dig into your mass gains so imagine what a two hour session would do.

I think alot of trainees struggle as to what a real "balls to the wall training session" really is.

Although my routine only last 30 min max, by the time i am finished my shirt is drenched in sweat, my eyes sting throughout my entire workout becasue of the sweat thats pouring off my forehead (i know, get a headband)

When having my post workout shake im trembling, throughout the rest of the day i feel nauseas, doms lasts 5-6 days minimum.

My current caloric intake is 3300 non workout 4000 workout and i get 7 hrs sleep minimum and i can tell you now that if i trained everyday in this way 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, "I WOULD DIE".

how do u know i didnt mean 2 1hour sessions?

and its not impossible.

I think alot of trainees struggle as to what a real "balls to the wall training session" really is.

and dont worry i train hard mate!

put it this way, id rather train 2 hours a day 7 days per week than only 2 days a week and im pretty sure id yeild better gains from tht. i think u only training 1 hour a week is pretty insufficent IMO. (personally i wouldnt bother if thts all i could fit in)

i dont train 2 hours a day, this was just an example as i know ppl who do train 2 hours a day 7 days a week. i train 1hour 30mins at least 6 days a week and try to go on sundays when i can

there is no such thing as overtraining imo.

overtraining really means not a good enough diet and/or not enough sleep.

u can train for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week and not overtrain

There is overtraining and it depends on a host of factors, not just nutrition and sleep. One session per week isn't going to "overtrain" you. You'd have to screw yourself up pretty badly to reach that stage. What most people experience is overreaching, be it functional (you get supercompensation/delayed training effect after it, ie increase in performance after training load reduction) or non-functional (little-to-none improvement in performance) and people can recover from that pretty easily, unlike overtraining.

For a start after 45 -60 min your body starts releasing cortisol which will dig into your mass gains so imagine what a two hour session would do.

Man, this guy I knew once was training past 2 hour mark one time. When I saw him the next day he was totally skinny! Bad bad cortisol!

and its not impossible.

put it this way, id rather train 2 hours a day 7 days per week than only 2 days a week and im pretty sure id yeild better gains from tht. i think u only training 1 hour a week is pretty insufficent IMO. (personally i wouldnt bother if thts all i could fit in)

i dont train 2 hours a day, this was just an example as i know ppl who do train 2 hours a day 7 days a week. i train 1hour 30mins at least 6 days a week and try to go on sundays when i can

Each to his own bro but i have a family and responsibilitys, i view the gym as a place i use to stimulate my body to grow, period, why work out 9 hrs or more a week like you say you do when i can get the same results working out 1 hr max a week, after all you can only grow so much muscle in a week anyway.

You havnt seen my workouts so how can you say its insufficient, in this game its quality that counts buddy, not quantity, if you wanna live in the gym thats fine but ive got better things to do.

and its not impossible.

Each to his own bro but i have a family and responsibilitys, i view the gym as a place i use to stimulate my body to grow, period, why work out 9 hrs or more a week like you say you do when i can get the same results working out 1 hr max a week, after all you can only grow so much muscle in a week anyway.

You havnt seen my workouts so how can you say its insufficient, in this game its quality that counts buddy, not quantity, if you wanna live in the gym thats fine but ive got better things to do.

You'd be suprised how hard the body can be pushed. I did some ridiculous power circuit training with 3 mins rest after 8 exercises had been completed (170kgx5 squat, 120x6 powerclean, SLDL, ABS etc). Then doing 4-5 of those circuits in a session. The sessions would take nearly 2 hours and I'd like to think no one on here trains that hard. If you want to be good, 30-45mins a day, 4 days a week will just not hack it. No one needs to see your workouts to know that.

and its not impossible.

You'd be suprised how hard the body can be pushed. I did some ridiculous power circuit training with 3 mins rest after 8 exercises had been completed (170kgx5 squat, 120x6 powerclean, SLDL, ABS etc). Then doing 4-5 of those circuits in a session. The sessions would take nearly 2 hours and I'd like to think no one on here trains that hard. If you want to be good, 30-45mins a day, 4 days a week will just not hack it. No one needs to see your workouts to know that.

BUT WAT ABUT DA CORTEES0L!!1111

HIT4EVA.

P.S. Marcus, that's a lot of friction burns. Great success!

I find best results when working a two day split working each muscle group every 8 days, so in total 2 workouts per week, at the moment a push and a pull day.

Results = putting on mass? Or losing weight? Thats interesting.. if it works for you, then go hard.

I like the 4-day split. It gives me enough rest between each session, and truth be told - I like lifting weights, so the hour or so I spend at the gym on those 4 days is my time.

hmm i could go on, but think wel just have to agree to disagree.

Okay i can see that my ideas on training are not going to appeal to the likes of BIG MAC and 2 GUNs and anyone else thats gonna have a go by the time ive finished writing this,(lol, i just heard my inbox alert and guess where its from) but thats not my intention anyway.

If theres anyone out there that has had a similar experience to mine then this post has served its purpose.

Im not here to advocate anything, im just trying to offer some insight as to what works for me, and has been proven to work for countless others over the years.

Im sure theres those reading this that have nothing better to do but pull parts of this post apart and quote it, but hey, at least youll have something to do for the next few minutes. :shrug:

Im no spring chicken, im 41, so when i say i train with intensity im not trying to impress anyone, "ITS A FACT" now im not trying to defend my routine like its some form of religion, all im saying is that it is possible to stimulate growth with as little as 40-60 min a week, im not arguing that more is not better for me, "IM STATING IT AS A FACT"

Im not a competetive bodybuilder, I dont use any supplements except a multivitamin, im just trying to better my health, body and self image, if this is a crime, then "arresh me ocifer".

I have tried high volume training and yep i used to defend it when other big guys said "lift heavy with intensity,yet i stuck by this type of training off and on for, 5 looong years, and yet still looked like i had never even touched a weight.

I have brought systems like MUSCLE NOW, OPTIMUM ANABOLICS, BODY FOR LIFE (body for lifes a joke if you wanna gain mass) I gave each of these programs a shot for a year each, and still looked like i had never touched a weight.

And did i argue that my intensity was high when other guys i knew who were big said to train heavy with low reps?, "HELL YES", because i honestly thought i was busting my ass every time i was in the gym for these 90 to 120min sessions (hell even my personal trainer, who was a bodybuilder said i trained with intensity) but by the time i was finished, i just felt fatigued, i could hardly shower afterwards because my energy levels were so depleted.

But i kept telling myself the gains will come........ they didnt.

So to cut a long story short, i purchased a program over the net that advocated heavy intense workouts that i have modified slightly over the last two years, and 20-30 mins is enough to stimulate growth for a week or more, and yes i "I FINALLY REALIZE WHAT INTENSE TRAININ IS", and until you try this type of training "WHO ARE TO FLAME ON IT"?hell most guys i know my age are couch potatoes, in fact my nephew who's growing like a weed, doing bugger all i might add, said he wouldnt train like me if thats what it took for him to grow.

Sure its possible to have a two hour training session but how much time do you spend resting between sets?

When i workout the max rest period between sets is 30seconds, when in between muscle groups the only rest period is the time it takes to change the weights from one bar to another, throughout this type of session my heart is pounding my breathing is extremely heavy and the sweat is insane, and by the end of my training session, my cns is fried.

:flames:

Its just not possible to train intensly giving every lift 100% if you are training in this manner for 90 -120 mins and not overtrain, anyone who says otherwise is either on the juice (roids) or just plain arguing for the sake of well.....arguing.

Another truth i would like to share with you just to show im not here to prove anything "MY GENETICS SUCK", and i mean SUCK, some guys only have to think about training and they grow (its just an illustration guys) me, i need to send a serious signal to my body to grow, and Long training sessions for me are counterproductive to strength and mass gains.

Big Macs stats on his lifts are impressive, but thats all they are, building a better body is not about proving how much weight we can all lift (although its nice to out lift your mates)

Building a better body is all about lifting a weight that is heavy enough for youre body type to stimulate growth, my current squats (not my one rep max) are only 120 kg, dlifts the same, Bench 30kg Dbells, Biceps curls 28kg Dbells, etc.

Now i know alot of you guys are gonna die laughing because of my lifts, (heck at least give me credit for posting them) but who cares, the fact is the weights im lifting at the moment are enough to stimulate growth for my body type, and every session im adding at least 2kg to squats, deds, and either more reps or weights to all my other lifts, so the fact is although my sessions are short and intense, "I AM GROWING" although i am growing slowly,hell my biceps only measure 41.5cms flexed cold, (cmon you just gotta give me credit for letting that one outa the bag) who gives a crap, every session is productive unlike the other programs i have tried and got nowhere with.

I intend to be training for the next 20 years so i have plenty of time to improve.

All im saying is this type of training works for me, if youre gains are minimal or non existent then why spend countless years waisting your time and energy getting nowhere like i did.

Another thing i would like to highlight is "my gym", thats all it is !!

Its not some flashy gym with the big ass machines and fancy equipment, my gym now is a home gym that consists of 170kg free weights, (some of them rusty) a barbell, 6 dumbell bars, A homemade rusty steel squat cage with lat pulldown and rows, a bench press.

When i train, I have no distractions, there is no time wasted sociailizing, waiting for a workout buddy to finish his set or posing in the mirror ,I dont have to wait for equipment, so the time spent in the gym is completely productive.

When training I have to change my weights from one bar to another, when i fail in the squat cage there is no training buddy to help me get the bar back up on the rack for another set of squats.

My dips are done on the top of the squat cage.

Nothing flash but this equipment and workout session is enough to get the job done to stimulate growth in the shortest amount of time, and at the end of the day, isnt that what bodybuilding is all about ? :banging:

So to all you volume junkies out there, have a blast replying, but i aint buying none of it, cause it dosnt work for me, period !

:protest: