Getting Big Arms

Camo

Hey all

Have been working out for two years and chest, back, shoulder, legs are coming along nicely but.... Im having real problems getting my arms bigger. Im naturally quite lean and tall and my arms are most deffinately my weakness. I also think that my other lifts are probably getting limited by my arm strength ie. widegrip pull ups. etc.... Thought I would start this post as a sort of discussion on what the best exercises to build up the arms are aswell as frequency of training them? So please feel free to let me know what you think it would be much appreciated. Chers

What kind of split do you do and how you you currently train them?

I found I got best results doing my bis after a back workout and tris after chest. Because they'll already be worked you need to concentrate on form!! As usual I suppose, but it's easy to let it slip when you're tired already?!?

maybe with more info we can offer a few more suggestions...

Hey

My current program I do chest and tris, then back and bis and yeah i do find it hard to keep good form ay! I also train legs and shoulders in another workout. So for a weeks training i only hit the biceps once and triceps once. Do you think this could be increased by maybe putting in another workout per week of just arms like 2guns does? So I would be getting 2 tri and 2 bi workouts per week?

How many times would you do the arm workout per week 2guns?

I currently do barbell curls, incline bench bicep curl, dumbell curls and tricep vertical extensions, tricep pushdowns with bar and rope....

U guys got any other killer arm exercises?

Chers

I quite like this one for putting a little more on the arms...

Mon: Biceps/Triceps

Tues: Legs

Thurs: Chest

Fri: Back

This hits them once directly on the Monday, then again indirectly on Thurs/Fri. It seems to be enough to keep the muscle stimulated, but not to the point of overtraining.

my training split:

shoulders/traps

legs

chest

back

arms

repeat, i dont have a day rest at the moment.

for my arm workout:

BICEPS

standing or seated db bicep curls

standing bb curls

hammer curls

concentration curls

TRICEPS

close grip bench press.

skull crushers.

over head db press (u know, the one wher u have db over above yr head and bring down to behind your neck and back up etc).

also i do a couple of different rope/cable exercises.

and sometimes some weighted dips(for triceps not chest, there are two different ways of doing dips, one for chest one for triceps)

**this workout is not in order i do them.

forearms once in a blue moon as they aint too bad.

hope this helps.

but everyones different some peoples arms grow like weeds while others have to work like hell just to get a half inch.

but form is important with muscles like biceps as its really easy to cheat and not work them properly, ill admitt i do cheat on the last few reps of heavy curls as this is better than stopping once u cant do them properly imo

let me know how u find these exercises if u try them.

Hi Camo, just giving my 2 cents :P

My problem is the opposite of yours, my arms are doing great but my chest and back are lagging behind.... :(

But anyways... I find using a triset for my biceps work them to the fullest but not to the point where you are overtraining them:

DB Bicep Curl 6-8 reps )

Preacher Bar reverse curl (forearms get raked!) 6-8 reps ) x 3 sets

BB Bicep Curl 4-6 reps )

And then I do my triceps with my chest another day:

Pull Downs 10-12 reps )

Close Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps ) x 3 sets

But as Brad said, form is very important to isolate and target the correct muscle! :nod:

yellow fella:

what do u do for back and chest?

bro i do quite a bit for both aye... maybe its because i just started bb and its not as noticeable.... :roll:

but yea for chest i do:

Flat BP 8,6,4 reps

Incline BP 8,6,4 reps

Drag Fly 10,8,6 reps

Doing as much weight as possible :grin:

and for back:

Pull Downs 10,8,6 reps

Tri Handle Rows 10,8,6 reps

Hey cheers 2guns, now i realise i need more excersises 4 my back,

but im gettin a new programme anyways so il tell my PT to focus on my weaknesses

Chur :pfft: (open to any suggestions)

Chers Yellow Fella

Thanks for the advice, especially the reverse bar preacher curl will deffinately include that in my routine.

Yeah I think you should be doing alot more exercises for chest and back, but sounds like your onto it anyways if you've got a good PT.

Had an arm workout yesterday, was good did concentration curls for the first time and really like them. When you guys do an arm workout do you do all bis first and then all tris or do you mix them up?

• 3 weeks later...

Im my experience, my bis/tris respond best when given heavy chest/back workouts, my bis really went up a notch when i began doing heavy rows.

I used a slit at one stage that was

M Chest/Tris

T Back/Bis

W Legs

T Shoulders

F Bi/Tri

S Core

S Off

Worked really well for me, but like anything, routine needs to be mixed up every 6 weeks or so.

Hey Camo,

Getting some good advice here aye!

I Find my back and chest grow really easily but i have trouble getting my arms to put on much size, lke yourself.

I've got a new program for mass building and do back and bis on one day, shoulders, tris, and chest another.

It seems to be working. :P

The best mass building excercises for biceps they reckon are olympic bar curls, i find doing these then d/bell curls and hammers are good, it fatigues the muscle alot so you can't lift heavy when you get near the end but it seems top be working,

The french press or skullcrusher is also recommended for the triceps as a good mass builder, along with dips.

2guns, i also find those overhead d/bell extensions great!!

Off the topic of arms though, does anybody have trouble building their legs big like i do? i'v started to squat but im not seeing many gains, i really wants big legs, any additional knowledge would be greatly appreciated :nod:

Very interesting thread...so i thought id add my 5 cents

IMO i think that if you want to bring up lagging body parts ie arms legs over all mass has to be brought up.

Start doing compound movements ie squats chins pull ups bench press and DLs

When total body mass goes up it will be easier to put on the inches in the trouble areas.

A 70 kg man will find it near imposssible to get 20 inch guns but a 100+ kg man will be easy concidering trasining and nutrition is good

Off the topic of arms though, does anybody have trouble building their legs big like i do? i'v started to squat but im not seeing many gains, i really wants big legs, any additional knowledge would be greatly appreciated :nod:

Do you do much hack squating? i trained for quite a while before i bothered to do these. Hack squats with a close stance really killed my quads, great exercises imo, if you havent tried them, or havent done them in a while, rotate them back in =D

Do you do much hack squating? i trained for quite a while before i bothered to do these. Hack squats with a close stance really killed my quads, great exercises imo, if you havent tried them, or havent done them in a while, rotate them back in =D

We don't have a hack squat machine at the warlworth fitness centre so ive never done these aye, you can't create a makeshift hacksquat machine from the smith or something?