maccaz 2018 prep log

maccaz

17 hours ago, ratz99 said:

@maccaz you code? 

nah man i work with coders etc but i project manage mining applications.

so like some application might measure how much copper is in an amount of dirt or whatever. the company will say hey we want this new system and i say ok give me money and 6 months and il set it up

then i frantically google what to do and get it done (semi srs)

ok

hip rehab routine same as previous days no point writing it out again, but its feeling good, i can squat to depth in bodyweight in flat shoes which iv never been able to do comfortably in the past, so its helped with mobility as well as for the injury

bench press

60 x 10

80 x 8

100 x 3 

110 x 1

120 x 1

125 x 1 = pb although it was tng, wasnt brutally hard, but couldnt have doubled it. considered going for 127.5 to give me 600 total of gym pbs but didnt wanna risk a fail

120 x 2  rep pb rpe 10

120 x 3 singles with not much rest between them

115 x 1

110 x 2

105 x 3

100 x 5, 4, 3, 3

closegrip bench

60 x 4 x 10 

hammer curls, 4 sets of 20 (so 10 each side) with 14s, 16s, 18s and 20s

done

very happy with bench. was worst case scenario, triceps completely f***ed from jackson approved 200 reps triceps day before yesterday, literally 4 hours sleep, not enough food, commercial gym slippery bench, slippery bar, no handoff, and got a comfortable = pb and doubled 120 which i havent done before. i also have never done more than 1 single at 120 before, usually its a horrific grind but was cruisy, will post video

in better conditions even just with an extra days rest and a good nights sleep i reckon iv got a few kgs more than my best bench in the tank.

cant wait to start squatting again next week

Two things you lil phaggot.

One, you should have definitely gone for the 600 total, from now on your are known as Mr Nearly There 597.5.

Two, I most definitely did not approve 200 reps on Triceps... You bitched out. You would have hit 130 if you had done what I approved (Very questionable as I doubt you would have even been able to straighten your arms) but you get my point bitch boi

Just now, BeastBuilder said:

Two things you lil phaggot.

One, you should have definitely gone for the 600 total, from now on your are known as Mr Nearly There 597.5.

Two, I most definitely did not approve 200 reps on Triceps... You bitched out. You would have hit 130 if you had done what I approved (Very questionable as I doubt you would have even been able to straighten your arms) but you get my point bitch boi

easy to be a smart alec on the internet, not so easy when you step on platform at pro raw 8 and realise the water you've been drinking all day had 3 tabs of acid floating in it thanks to maccaz

start of 11 week prep for gpc vic states

another tldr novel maccaz style but just some stuff i like to keep note of so i can look back in 10 weeks and laugh at how weak i am)

so iv been unable to squat for the last 6 weeks because i injured myself in competition. i've squatted once or twice since then. about 2 weeks ago i realised it wasnt healing enough on its own so started aggressive rehab. it's worked.

wookie method w1d1

hip rehab routine

squat

60 x 8

100 x 8

140 x 5

150kg 4 x 8

im unfit and weak, but finally can say im not injured. squats were 100% perfect

this was hard, perfectly manageable but hard. im working on slowing my descent and not just relying on hip tightness to bounce me out of the hole. my mobility has improved a lot from working on hips heaps and i can now squat slightly narrower stance to good depth which feels good.

main issue was im so unfit from only benching for 6 weeks and nothing else that this gassed me badly, was choking in last couple sets lol. guess this is the point of volume i will get more conditioned. but for now after squats i was pretty cooked so bench was a bit disappointing. felt like throwing up more than i felt like benching. weak

bench press (wanted 110-115 3 x 5)

60 x 8

80 x 3

100 x 3 felt weak

112.5 x 4 (rep pb but short of the 5 i needed. failed 5th)

107.5 x 4 (again, needed 5. failed 5th)

105kg x 5 (only just)

leg press

200kg  3 x 10

close grip bench press

90kg 2 x 8

70kg x 11

so all in all im really happy i can squat again pain free. can already tell legs and ass are going to be ruined tomorrow. a lot of work to do on conditioning. 2 days ago i could have benched 110 3x5 i reckon so i just gotta get used to holding it together for a whole session without dying

thanks jono for helping me for another prep, i owe you some cigars and whiskey!

Just now, Realtalk said:

All your squats in wraps or not yet?

nah not yet

i get programming week by week and no wraps this week, i dont know about weeks going forward or when i will be using them. last prep from memory the first session was 192.5x8 wrapped, but coming back from hip playing it safe with lighter weight.

probably a good thing, i get lazy and rely on them to make things easier which isnt the point.

will buy some sleeves though, never worn any and dont own any but can't hurt to use them

3 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Bru pls... Maccas a strict presser you a push presser lol

lol

i lean back so far it may as well be incline bench, but no leg drive, so dont think its that strict

jimmybro, its still poverty, not worried about it for now, bench is priority unless i find an overhead press competition somewhere lol (not srs)

can do 70x3, 65 5x5 i think? maybe 80x1? f*ck all..

Just now, maccaz said:

lol

i lean back so far it may as well be incline bench, but no leg drive, so dont think its that strict

jimmybro, its still poverty, not worried about it for now, bench is priority unless i find an overhead press competition somewhere lol (not srs)

can do 70x3, 65 5x5 i think? maybe 80x1? f*ck all..

It is a competition brah. 

I should be there in two months (strict). Could push press for reps now. In fact might try to next week. 

wookie method, w1d2

turns out having bit of time off turned my legs into little bitches. yesterday was literally unable to train due to doms. crippling. no exageration, so i moved my rest day forward a day rather than half assing the deadlifts. works ok because tomorrow is bench which is basically a rest for lower body anyway.

unsure if that was wise or not because legs were probably worse today, and ass. cooked. but went ahead with it. worried about the state i will be in tomorrow haha! doubt il have much arch or leg drive for bench

deadlift

60 x 5

100 x 5 

140 x 5

160 x 1

185 x 8  rpe 8

175 x 8 rpe 8

good side effect of the rehab/mobility work is i can set up more comfortably for deadlift, even in worst case stiff doms situation like today apparently

widegrip pulldown

60 (lb or kg i dunno) 4 x 15

sumo sldl (these are always so hard regardless of weight but get me right in the hamstring feels. dreading when these go up in weight)

100 3 x 10

hamstring curl

54kg 3 x 15

glad to be back in action, feeling real good and stronger than i expected i would

wookie method w1d3

bench press all pause

60 x 5 

80 x 5 

100 x 3

120 x 1 bloody grind. very very very hard. rpe 10. wouldnt have got 121kg.. 

105 3 x 5 was meant to be all paused, wasnt happening. paused first 3 of each set, then tng just rather than fail..

widegrip pulldown

60kg 3 x 15 was able to do a good squeeze and slow reps on these to make it harder as when i did them straight after deadlifts forearms and grip were shot so it was hard. much better today

db bench

32kg x 12

36kg 2 x 12  felt good. rpe 9.5-10 each set. last rep were grinders

tricep pressdown

25kg 3 x 25

body is cooked, every part of me is sore, have to move around in slow motion cos of doms

gonna take a bit to adjust back into it.

being strong at benching when i didnt have to do any other exercise is one thing, but when im sore all over its difficult to not suck.

not enough sleep this week as well just while works been a bit crap, but im on top of it and next week onwards will be much better

wookie w1d4

squat

60 x 5

70 x 5

120 x 5

140 x 1

160kg 4 x 5 video down below

front squat

90kg 3 x 12 

need to relearn front squat grip as it was like nothing for my legs but slipping off shoulders. tried chalking but was also drenched in sweat, and keeping elbows up was difficult when bar just wanted to roll off. practice.

close stance high bar squat (had planned to do leg extensions with bands off bench but was wasting time tryna set it up and couldnt get it right so did these) 

first time doing these

80kg 3 x 15 fast reps with not much lockout just smashed through them and got big quad pump

here is video of 160 x 5 (2nd set)

so did this on saturday morning because was meant to be training with a mate who pulled out, piss me off, cant rely on people. oh well. all good, just wouldve done on friday if i knew he was gonna no show.

so my accessory work is changing a bit going forward because im in powerlifting gym full time now rather than jumping between the two (apart from the odd once in a while il go commercial gym if i need to do something specific on a machine or whatever) so have to get a bit creative and do more variations of stuff that can be done with a bar etc. gym has squat racks, benches, bars (regular, ssb, axels) , dumbells, bands,  blocks, chains,  heaps of strongman gear because its also a strongman gym like yoke, farmers walk things, stones, lots of logs, axels, tyre deadlift, etc. also has a GHR which i will learn to use, have only really mucked around on it never tried propertly.

trade off for missing a few machines is awesome atmosphere, good bars, good racks, good benches, cant argue with that and im not a bodybuilder so dont need to be able to superset cable flys with plate load bench press or whatever. got everything i should need.

3 hours ago, maccaz said:

wookie w1d4

squat

60 x 5

70 x 5

120 x 5

140 x 1

160kg 4 x 5 video down below

front squat

90kg 3 x 12 

need to relearn front squat grip as it was like nothing for my legs but slipping off shoulders. tried chalking but was also drenched in sweat, and keeping elbows up was difficult when bar just wanted to roll off. practice.

close stance high bar squat (had planned to do leg extensions with bands off bench but was wasting time tryna set it up and couldnt get it right so did these) 

first time doing these

80kg 3 x 15 fast reps with not much lockout just smashed through them and got big quad pump

here is video of 160 x 5 (2nd set)

so did this on saturday morning because was meant to be training with a mate who pulled out, piss me off, cant rely on people. oh well. all good, just wouldve done on friday if i knew he was gonna no show.

so my accessory work is changing a bit going forward because im in powerlifting gym full time now rather than jumping between the two (apart from the odd once in a while il go commercial gym if i need to do something specific on a machine or whatever) so have to get a bit creative and do more variations of stuff that can be done with a bar etc. gym has squat racks, benches, bars (regular, ssb, axels) , dumbells, bands,  blocks, chains,  heaps of strongman gear because its also a strongman gym like yoke, farmers walk things, stones, lots of logs, axels, tyre deadlift, etc. also has a GHR which i will learn to use, have only really mucked around on it never tried propertly.

trade off for missing a few machines is awesome atmosphere, good bars, good racks, good benches, cant argue with that and im not a bodybuilder so dont need to be able to superset cable flys with plate load bench press or whatever. got everything i should need.

All the strong man stuff and ghd would be way better than any machines anyway bro

wookie w2d2

so i bought a bicycle for 35$ off the internet just to muck around and decided to ride to gym today. first time riding a bike in years. no idea of road rules or whatever. got on and rode to gym. sweet as. 6.5km each way. just under 20mins each way.

i thought itd be shit but it actually was real fun, quad pump was much more real than squats ever give me so i wont be doing that on squat days ever., but yeah will ride a couple times a week just for fun long as i recover sweet. prob good for heart and lose some fat and just general health and my hips and quads felt mint afterwards. 

but to the important shit that i care about:

deadlift

70 x 10

120 x 8

150 x 5

170 x 3

200 x 5 rpe 9.5

190 x 5 rpe 9.5

190 x 5 rpe 10

strength was good here. issue was these hearty bars on my hands. been using straps and crap gym bars too long, need to get tougher hands. rpe would have been lower except the skin was bout to come off my hands. trying to grip deep in palms not in fingers so i dont drop a deadlift again.

i reckon in a few weeks hand skin will be tough as a blocklayer becuase im not using smooth bars at all any more.

hands are wrecked now

pullups

+band 8, 8, 5

gonna get good at these now that i dont have heaps of options for accessories.

sumo sldl 

100kg 3x10

these are much easier on comp diameter plates than they were with slightly smaller ones. every bit counts when its straight leg..

tried ghr, couldnt do 1. one of the guys is gonna give me a hand and teach me next week, gonna practice a few on an off day using a barbell to push off the ground if need be till i can do them. see the value in them so its not a good sign that i cant do them lol.

lying band hamstring curl (mad pump)

"yellow band" 3 x 12

bike home 

soon as i get hand skin sorted il be killing the deadlifts, they all felt mint today.

35 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

You wanna use your comp grip for  warm ups and first heavy set of 5 then the remaining 2 sets use double overhand with straps. That's what I do anyway. No way do you want hands or grip interfering with the rpe. 

sweet bro good point, will do in future, thanks