WTB Barbell, Bench, Matts

FellowshipOfTheRon

Building my home gym now need Barbell and some other stuff.

Got rack and oly weight plates / oly DBs sorted, now need the following. Please let me know if you selling and what you want for it. I can pickup pretty much anywhere in Auckland.

• Olympic barbell
  • Rubber horse stall matts / Gym rubber mats (30mm thick?)
  • Maybe a preacher curl bar and hex bar

PM or post here

[edit] got adjustable bench sorted, now just really need barbell and matts

• 2 weeks later...

scored a pair of cast iron oly collars 2.5kg each (proper style) on the cheap, hope they're pretty good will review on arrival

anyone know if the solid strength barbells are any good? i see this one 28mm thickness, brass bushings, not sure how it would compare to the volt 7ft oly training bar, but it's about half the price at $250.. i might see if i can go have a look at their shop and see how well it spins and stuff, no strength atm probably wouldn't be able to test whip or anything but anyway if i end up getting it will review after some months , either that or i just wait it out until i find a deal on the more well known barbell on TM or the Volt one goes on sale at no1 fitness

http://solidstrengthequipment.co.nz/20kg-28mm-diameter-mens-olympic-spring-steel-bar/

That one looks prey good mate. Depends if you want something to get u going or want something that will last. I have the volt men's bar. Got it for $300 odd got it when they were haVing a sale. Also have the no1 comp bar.that's a bit bent after 2 years. But still ok. Good as a second bar

That one looks prey good mate. Depends if you want something to get u going or want something that will last. I have the volt men's bar. Got it for $300 odd got it when they were haVing a sale. Also have the no1 comp bar.that's a bit bent after 2 years. But still ok. Good as a second bar

thanks mate i'm definitely interested now just sucks can't find much info on it.  i'll see if they answer my questions about bar grade and stuff, market in NZ is not that big for this stuff was surprised there aren't any reviews to be found on that brand.

main thing i'm looking for is 28mm thickness, good knurling and decent bushings for freely rotating collars, done bit of oly lifts in commercial gyms on various bars, was this one black bar at wolfs that i found made the biggest difference, it had really free spinning collars and helped heaps. was also way easier for me to grip than the other 30mm powerlifting type bars (small hands lol). why did you mention second bar? now that i have that in my mind i'm already planning on a 2nd one when i don't even have a 1st one

looks like solid strength equipment sell out of a crossfit gym about half hour from my place, might see if can

^ true bro, i read reviews of that bar here and on powerhouse and it was really convincing. my first thought was to go ~$200 bar and later get the proper ones but i guess if i go with higher than low range now it might serve me well for many years.

just checked no1fitness, volt bar is now $322 with shipping, interesting!

https://www.no1fitness.co.nz/weights-and-bars/bars/7ft-mens-training-bar-04630

sent a message to the solid strength guys enquire about their product specs of their equivalent bar and all that : http://solidstrengthequipment.co.nz/20kg-28mm-diameter-mens-olympic-spring-steel-bar/

at $50 price difference from this to move up to the volt bar, i might end up moving to the well known & reviewed volt bar, anyway invited solid strength to answer to any questions about their equipment to this forum and share the knowledge of what's available from a local NZ company. it could turn out theirs is just as good but not well known since most people don't do gear reviews here.  i'll probably make my decision on what way to go this week.

[edit] They replied unfortunately there are no known stats on the solid strength 28mm mens oly spring steel bar but they say they've been selling it to various crossfit outfits for the past 5 years and no complaints. It does make me a bit sceptical because without reviews i can only fall back on stats to compare it! more leaning towards the volt one which has been thoroughly reviewed here but anyway they recommended their needle bearing bar which looks to be of comparable quality to volts, or maybe better - but i heard sometimes a good brass bushing is better than an average needle bearing bar and brass bushing comes with little to no maintenance requirements ; http://solidstrengthequipment.co.nz/20kg-mens-ss-needle-bearing-spring-steel-barbell/

thanks man, just ordered the Volt training bar from No1Fitness, hopefully can pick it up after work tomorrow if they have stock. was looking forward to giving the other equipment from solidstrength a go but this special came up for a limited time and the guys just taking a bit longer than i have time for (in regards to sale ending at competitor) to answer my enquiries. re-reading MTs review helped me make the decision to go ahead and buy it today, $295 seems like a good deal for a bar with it's given specs

also the oly collars i ordered from elite fitness have arrived, they are way bigger than i imagined lol, haven't weighed it yet but they seem pretty close to the advertised 2.5kg each rating. the design looks good, very similar functionality to the ivanko ones but obviously made out of lower grade material (i don't mind for $20 the pair). will put up proper reviews with pics later once I got bar and stuff as can't really tell how well they actually serve their purpose until then. width wise they need about the width of a 20kg bumper plate on the collar so for the real big lifters, would probably have difficulty running out of space on the collars for this. this the one, $20 the pair : http://www.elitefitness.co.nz/consumer/product/5217/olympic-compression-collarthey also sell a chrome one that looks surprisingly a lot like the official olymic style ones but they're $60 each. hopefully this serves the purpose just fine without damaging the bar sleeves, time will tell.