The best diet articles I have ever read

Pseudonym

And having read quite a few diet articles in my time, I don't say that lightly.

I recently discovered Andy Morgan's RippedBody.jp website while I was looking for more information on Intermittent Fasting. Andy likes IF, but he doesn't rate it as the number one priority in a diet - that would be calories. He doesn't rate it number two either - that would be macros. Or even number three... No, meal timing (like Intermittent Fasting) comes in a distant fourth, only slightly ahead of supplements.

Like so:

Nutritional-Hierarchy-of-Importance-Pyra

And for each level of this hierarchy, he's written a full page explanation of how and why.

But here's what makes these articles stand out from the others. They go into a huge amount of detail, but they've been broken down in such a way that it's easy to read and understand. They include the most sensible bits of modern bodybuilding "fad" diets (like IIFYM and IF) - but it's made very clear that while these techniques can be helpful, they're just the icing on the cake. (Cake's ok too, If It Fits Your Macros.) And because of the way they're structured, if people don't make it to the end of all five articles, that's fine - the most important stuff was in the first one.

I'm very impressed with these. Highly recommended. Check them out...

http://rippedbody.jp/2013/12/19/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-fat-loss-muscle-growth/

So your post about the best article on diet ever has renewed my enthsiam and I'm going to make more of an effort to stick to an 8hr feeding window. I reckon I'm as good as I'll ever get with the other parts of the pyramid for now.

So I have a question. Outside of your feeding window, what food and drinks do you allow yourself to have?

Do you give yourself some leeway? ie black coffee is ok, or a flat white is ok ... or a donut is ok?

Or flat out nothing but water?

Just curious if people are very strict or not. 

Yeah, I'm trying to be stricter about my window now too. So just coffee with milk while I'm fasting. (And any cake or sweets that anyone offers me.)

Bear in mind that the fasting element was only number 4 on the priority list - so even a small change to calories/macros will have a bigger impact than whether you're fasting or not. It would be worth doing the maths and seeing how your diet compares with the numbers they give you.

I've just been doing it a week now, and reckon I'm going in the right direction. I've put together a spreadsheet to do all the calculations for you - I'll post it up in the next couple of days.

just coffee with milk while I'm fasting. (And any cake or sweets that anyone offers me.)

Thanks

Bear in mind that the fasting element was only number 4 on the priority list - so even a small change to calories/macros will have a bigger impact than whether you're fasting or not. It would be worth doing the maths and seeing how your diet compares with the numbers they give you.

True. I track my calories and macros with MyFitnessPal. Don't do anything for micros, but I figure that I'm eating mostly good, real, food so I can't be doing badly. And in terms of progress tracking, I'm slowly going in the right direction, but I can adjust calories and macros if I ever need to based on results.

I've just been doing it a week now, and reckon I'm going in the right direction. I've put together a spreadsheet to do all the calculations for you - I'll post it up in the next couple of days.

That'd be cool. Thanks

True. I track my calories and macros with MyFitnessPal. Don't do anything for micros, but I figure that I'm eating mostly good, real, food so I can't be doing badly. 

You're probably right on that one. Micronutrients are often only required in very small quantities and are easily covered by a moderately healthy western diet - especially if you aren't excluding any big food groups. Bodybuilders often run into issues when excluding red meat or dairy (but not always). Your standard diet of Meat, eggs, potatoes, veg, grains, dairy etc will 9.5 times out of 10 have you covered. 

If you ever want to check then you can look up RDA's and then just check up standard days food against them - which doesn't take much time. Or you can troubleshoot and research some common ones that men often dont meet in this country and just double check them. But it's really very rare to get issues from vitamin deficiencies in a western country. 

This post is pretty random, but I felt like writing it so I did. 

True. I track my calories and macros with MyFitnessPal. Don't do anything for micros, but I figure that I'm eating mostly good, real, food so I can't be doing badly. 

You're probably right on that one. Micronutrients are often only required in very small quantities and are easily covered by a moderately healthy western diet - especially if you aren't excluding any big food groups. Bodybuilders often run into issues when excluding red meat or dairy (but not always). Your standard diet of Meat, eggs, potatoes, veg, grains, dairy etc will 9.5 times out of 10 have you covered. 

If you ever want to check then you can look up RDA's and then just check up standard days food against them - which doesn't take much time. Or you can troubleshoot and research some common ones that men often dont meet in this country and just double check them. But it's really very rare to get issues from vitamin deficiencies in a western country. 

This post is pretty random, but I felt like writing it so I did. 

Not random at all. Good post.

I admit I've never actually thought about why, or if, I'm getting the right micros just by eating real food.

What are some of the common ones men are often deficient in? (I admit I'm being lazy and not researching myself :-) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...