NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
jaapieMIKE

Carb cycling

Hi Guys and Girls

I am currently planning to start carb cycling for the first time to shake off some body fat. Stats 33 years old 178cm tall around 16.8% body fat (3 point pinch test method).

My question is based more around refeed days, Could I do 2 refeeds in a cycle i.e. 3 days low carb then a refeed two days low carb then a refeed and not do the moderate  carb day. I am not interested in rapid fat loss and feel that the strength in the gym is pretty important.

I would be keen to hear some thoughts from more experienced builders.

19 minutes ago, jaapieMIKE said:

Stats 33 years old 178cm tall around 16.8% body fat

My question is based more around refeed days, Could I do 2 refeeds in a cycle i.e. 3 days low carb then a refeed two days low carb then a refeed and not do the moderate  carb day. I am not interested in rapid fat loss and feel that the strength in the gym is pretty important.

Eh bro there's no way in hell you need two refeed days at ~17% bodyfat.

I know  you're not interested in rapid fatloss but remember you won't become really depleted super quickly because you'll only be running a moderate deficit right? 

Once a week at most I'd say, or you'll be literally prone crawling with your fat loss.

1 hour ago, jaapieMIKE said:

Thanks for the input.

so would you recommend one refeed and one moderate carb day ?

I don't base my diet on carbs as such, when cutting I never go super super low on the carbs, and I've had great success. Less carbs does not mean better fat loss. I don't buy that reasoning (Not saying you were indicating that, just giving some background).

What matters more is your calories. I lower my carbs as I lose weight though simply because I want to keep my protein high and most carby foods i eat have more calories naturally.

So to answer, the moderate carb day is irrelevant in my opinion. Just keep your carbs moderate the whole time if that works for you. You'll still lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit. Just need to track your weightloss and adjust your diet / calories accordingly. Remember keep your protein high though.