NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
GUnit

Critique my Physique

Hello everyone, I am in need of your perspective and opinion on my physique so I know which muscle groups need more developing and which others that don’t or need down sizing.

Cheers in advance 👌🏽

67CE7981-43A7-4BAF-BA4B-FF21FFDD01C2.jpeg

F32E1E61-95D0-455F-A831-43C2DD37C813.jpeg

E2DF1EF2-5467-4764-B5CE-1E81E5230DD7.jpeg

684C3A10-02AE-4102-BFE9-D9550CBEFC97.jpeg

E5C205B6-104C-466B-B93F-3AFB54C3465E.jpeg

Cheers everyone for the feedback! I just had to make sure everything was proportional! But my legs are definitely lacking although they aren’t stick legs or crazy small for my upper body, I’ll stick some pics up soon

Thanks again!

Looks great man, esp. if you are under 20 which it seems like it. Honestly more built than a lot of 25 year olds. Good proportions, symmetry. Don't forget to do shit-loads of vacuums and dumbbell pullovers. It's true that you can't really grow your rib bones that much, but the bones on the side are actually connected to the sternum by long cartilage structures. These can be stretched with certain exercises and then repaired to be bigger and stronger and alter your chest shape. Just look at Arnold Schwarzenegger. His chest muscle development was great, but it would have been much, much worse if he hadn't incorporated the ribcage expansion, postural practices and inner abdominal muscle diaphragm strengthening.

Cheers bro! And yup I’m 18. But thanks for all the advice! I’ll definitely start practicing my vacuums and pullovers more often; gotta love Arnies rib cage! Gives him so much volume to his physique!

7 hours ago, Swoeljer said:

Looks great man, esp. if you are under 20 which it seems like it. Honestly more built than a lot of 25 year olds. Good proportions, symmetry. Don't forget to do shit-loads of vacuums and dumbbell pullovers. It's true that you can't really grow your rib bones that much, but the bones on the side are actually connected to the sternum by long cartilage structures. These can be stretched with certain exercises and then repaired to be bigger and stronger and alter your chest shape. Just look at Arnold Schwarzenegger. His chest muscle development was great, but it would have been much, much worse if he hadn't incorporated the ribcage expansion, postural practices and inner abdominal muscle diaphragm strengthening.

I know you probably mean well but this information is rubbish.

Pull overs work the chest and back. The pec is the primary mover and several muscles in the back assist with the movement. The only muscle which has anything to do with the ribcage in a pullover is the serratus which originates on the ribs and goes up to the shoulder blade. All it does is stabilize the scapula in a pull over.

OP, you are going to get far more bang for your buck so to speak by just sticking to a basic programme with compound lifts and then making up the remainder of your session with  some volume using good intensity on different exercises which you can switch out regularly to stop you getting bored.

then of course eating a lot of good food and rest.

To be fair, the "pullovers expand the ribcage" theory was pretty widely believed - particularly around Arnie's time. So lots of people see videos of Arnie and other old-school bodybuilders doing them, and think they must be great. But sports science has moved on since then, and now we know better. :-)

Having said that, I like dumbell pullovers as a weighted stretch for lats and shoulders. Good for general health and mobility, I reckon, but not so much for physique development.

@Realtalk - what do you think of vacuums for working the transverse abdominals and tightening the waist? Another old-school myth, or is there something in this one?

Waist of time lol.

Physios prescribe it for people with back injuries but it’s quite hard to do properly and worthless imo. Most stuff that activates your core is using your transverse abdominal muscles anyway. It’s not some secret muscle that needs a special exercise to unlock it. Hell when you do a squat ohp or a deadlift you’re using your entire core to stabilise that transverse included. 

Whats the point of a vacuum pose in bodybuilding anyway? I think it just looks stupid. A solid set of deep cut abdominals is far more impressive imo.

when I hear vacuum pose these days I just automatically think of chest 4x a week and skipping leg days then sucking in your stomach and puffing up your chest.

Just sfw.

Heh. No, I agree with you on the vacuum pose - I've never seen the point of it either. As an aesthetic pose, it actually doesn't make your waist look smaller, it just shows off your hollow ribcage. Why would you want to do that?!

And as an exercise, I think it's of limited value too. At best, vacuums are just a static contraction, so I'm sceptical about how effective it is. And yes, big compound exercises do use the transverse as stabilisers, but they're not hitting it directly. I feel like it's all too easy to let other muscles compensate for a poorly-activated transverse (at least, that's my experience at the moment - I can't activate the left like I can on the right). I might start doing some direct work and see if it helps. What's that exercise where you sit on the floor, lean back to about 45 degrees, and pass a weight from one side to the other? That'd be good for transverse, right?