NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
pkgr33n

Cutting advice - 8 weeks in - how low to go?

Hi all,

At the start of this year I was eating clean some days and other days I was eating a ton of junk. Most of the time I did go to go the gym for a workout, but the diet was completely off.

So for the last 8 weeks I have been cutting (monitoring calories and regularly going to the gym).

I’m looking to get very lean, eg 10% or lower if possible.

I’m just wanting to get advice on how low someone should go in terms of calories/cardio when dieting.

I need help mapping out the next 8-12 weeks of this cut.

I’ll provide some stats/pics of me, as well as a quick breakdown of my calories/weight over the last 8 weeks.

5’9 in height, late 20’s, and currently weighing in around 74.5kg

Workout routine:

I go to the gym everyday (1 muscle group a day, 1 cardio day, and repeat), just under an hours workout. 

Weight breakdown:

Week

Average Weigh in

Week 1

Started at 78.7kg, average weigh in was 77.8kg

Week 2

77.7kg

Week 3

77.1kg

Week 4

76.9kg

Week 5

76.4kg

Week 6

75.4kg

Week 7

75.4kg

Week 8

74.9kg

Macro breakdown:

Week

Carbs

Fat

Protein

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Week 9 (currently)

So at the moment I’m thinking of doing the following over the next weeks;

Week 10 - Drop 20 carbs and keep everything else the same.

Week 11 - I’ll drop another 20.

Week 12 - same

Week 13 - I’ll drop 20g fat (40 fat total only, I hear being above 55g is advised for hormones etc..)

Week 13 – same

Week 14 – Add 15mins cardio 6x a week

Week 15 – same

Week 16 – Bump up to 25mins cardio 6x a week

Week 17 – same

Week 18 – Bump up to 35mins cardio 6x a week

Week 19 – same

Week 20 – Bump up to 45mins cardio 6x a week (finish).

So looking at the same calories/macros (1.2k calories - 90carbs, 40fat, 120protein) for the last 2 months and just relying on cardio

I don’t even know if it will be possible for me to get down /function on those sort of macros/cardio…

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some opinions/feedback!

progress.png

So are you treating this almost like a competition prep? That is, the goal is to look awesome at week 20, but not worry about sustaining that condition long-term?

TBH, I've never planned out any cut to that level of detail in advance. Theoretically, continually decreasing the food intake and increasing the workload will mean continual progress, sure - at least to a certain point. But whether that'll take you to 10% BF on the scheduled date of week 20... who knows?

Personally, I'd prefer not to plan it out so far in advance, and then just tweak as I go. It might be that your tweaking results in the same plan as above. Or you might find you can get away with eating more or doing less cardio. Just try it and see.

The only other thing I'd say is... as of week 9, your carbs are getting pretty low. If you find yourself wanting more carbs (eg, for energy in workouts), I'd sacrifice 5-10g fat and hold onto more carbs for longer (because fat is so calorie dense, a few grams of fat lets you keep significantly more carbs). I don't think 55g fat is the absolute magic number for hormones. Particularly if you have the occasional refeed or cheat meal.

You're legit eating ethipoian calories there. There's no way you're going to sustain healthy weight loss with that calorie intake, not to mention the muscle will start dropping off you as well. It's too low to keep up. And you shouldn't need to go that low on cals yet given your body fat level atm (based on pics).
Pseudos right, tweak as you go. Planning this far doesn't usually work out, there's too many little things that can change and you need to adapt to keep losing weight.

22 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

So are you treating this almost like a competition prep? That is, the goal is to look awesome at week 20, but not worry about sustaining that condition long-term?

TBH, I've never planned out any cut to that level of detail in advance. Theoretically, continually decreasing the food intake and increasing the workload will mean continual progress, sure - at least to a certain point. But whether that'll take you to 10% BF on the scheduled date of week 20... who knows?

Personally, I'd prefer not to plan it out so far in advance, and then just tweak as I go. It might be that your tweaking results in the same plan as above. Or you might find you can get away with eating more or doing less cardio. Just try it and see.

The only other thing I'd say is... as of week 9, your carbs are getting pretty low. If you find yourself wanting more carbs (eg, for energy in workouts), I'd sacrifice 5-10g fat and hold onto more carbs for longer (because fat is so calorie dense, a few grams of fat lets you keep significantly more carbs). I don't think 55g fat is the absolute magic number for hormones. Particularly if you have the occasional refeed or cheat meal.

Yes essentially like a competition prep I guess. No plan on really sustaining it, by week 21 i'd want to reverse diet and eventually get my cals back above 2k+ and not gain too much fat while doing so. 

Yea it is just a guideline I guess, see how the body goes, eg if I continue to have a new average low weigh in this week, i'd keep the same cals and not reduce. Only when the average weigh in has stalled then i'd lower cals.

That is definitely true, and yes you have a raised a good point. I actually might do this start of week 10, decrease the fats by say 10g and get in 20carbs instead. 

Atm I've been having a refeed meal every 2 weeks, keeping it relatively clean but just like 2-2.5x the normal days carbs. That was just a rough guess, I don't know if I should be doing it more frequent eg every 7-10days?

Thanks for the advice so far!

11 hours ago, ratz99 said:

You're legit eating ethipoian calories there. There's no way you're going to sustain healthy weight loss with that calorie intake, not to mention the muscle will start dropping off you as well. It's too low to keep up. And you shouldn't need to go that low on cals yet given your body fat level atm (based on pics).
Pseudos right, tweak as you go. Planning this far doesn't usually work out, there's too many little things that can change and you need to adapt to keep losing weight.

I know right, down to 1.6k cals already :( 

Yep as mentioned I will tweak as I go, eg only drop more cals if average weigh in for the week has stalled. 

Thanks for the help :)