Jump to content
NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
siddhant1991

are dumbells enough for a good physique

Recommended Posts

I have bought dumbells from 5-50 kg and I can buy till 80 kg. (money is not an issue), I love working with dumbells, I dont know why lol. But will dumbells, a pull up bar and a bench be enough for a physique I can be proud of?  Oh and after 25 kg I have dumbells that have a 5kg increase(30,35,40 you get it), do I hit 15 reps then increase weights? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know, i appointed a p.t back in 16/17 I got but bench up to 144 for 5 reps and squat well I had issues with my form throughout the year so that to was around 140 for 10 reps but I looked the same, I dont think I can trust a p.t again and dumbells seem a safe option and I really enjoy using dumbells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, siddhant1991 said:

I dont think I can trust a p.t again

Hmm not sure if your just trolling pal but to say this is pretty ignorant, no disrespect bud, but why not just simply change PTs??

Whats your diet like? If you had issues with your form i think your in need of a PT to guide you with this?, switching to dumbbells doesn't just magically correct poor form regardless if you enjoy using them or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kiwicannon said:

Hmm not sure if your just trolling pal but to say this is pretty ignorant, no disrespect bud, but why not just simply change PTs??

Whats your diet like? If you had issues with your form i think your in need of a PT to guide you with this?, switching to dumbbells doesn't just magically correct poor form regardless if you enjoy using them or not.

Im now thinking to get a p.t but I dont know how to spot a bad one, most of them like to hit all bodyparts once a week in my experience, I can probably do ICF and tell him to watch my form and spot me etc. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, siddhant1991 said:

your physique seems great if thats you in the dp, can it be achieved with dbs?

Yeah that's me a month ago.

 

Pretty sure (physical) progression is faster with barbell training, compared to DBs.  

 

No point getting slow results, assuming results are the point of your training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kalidane said:

Pretty sure (physical) progression is faster with barbell training, compared to DBs.  

 


Not tryna start an argument, genuinely curious, but is there any evidence to back this up bro?

It just sounds a bit bro science to me, that's all. I don't really see why you can't elicit the same progression through other means of training at the same speed, given everything else is equal and you are training just as hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon either would be fine but I'd prefer to keep using both.

 

DBs have the advantage of being easier on your joints being able to rotate through movement and not having your hands fixed along a straight line. On some movements you can get better contraction too doing only one side at a time rather than symmetrically with both hands/sides of the body.

 

BB has the advantage of being fixed (disadvantage for joints) so that horizontal force components exerted by the person cancel out. Thats why if you're benching 180 for reps you won't be benching 90 for reps with DBs.

 

Still would rate the DB movement as being better for chest though but probably would be the opposite for deadlifts using DBs as that would be shithouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PETN said:

 

 be the opposite for deadlifts using DBs as that would be shithouse.


lmao I see people doing this sometimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ratz99 said:


Not tryna start an argument, genuinely curious, but is there any evidence to back this up bro?

It just sounds a bit bro science to me, that's all. I don't really see why you can't elicit the same progression through other means of training at the same speed, given everything else is equal and you are training just as hard.

PETN covered most of my thoughts.

 

More specifically, with bench press a bunch of shoulder stabilisers are going to be your limiting factor.  BB lets you bench more kgs and cause greater stimulus to the targetted muscle groups.  DBs would lead to better 'real world' strength, but we are talking more about size (I think).  The downside is the forced fixed handspacing - could be that the humeral head moving and rotating through that range is a bad idea for some. Type 2 or 3 subacromia for example.  Buut DB training means a strong side isn't dominating the lift.

 

Short version - neither is better overall, but for size gains most muscle groups people look at will grow faster with barbell training cos heavier.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kalidane said:

PETN covered most of my thoughts.

 

More specifically, with bench press a bunch of shoulder stabilisers are going to be your limiting factor.  BB lets you bench more kgs and cause greater stimulus to the targetted muscle groups.  DBs would lead to better 'real world' strength, but we are talking more about size (I think).  The downside is the forced fixed handspacing - could be that the humeral head moving and rotating through that range is a bad idea for some. Type 2 or 3 subacromia for example.  Buut DB training means a strong side isn't dominating the lift.

 

Short version - neither is better overall, but for size gains most muscle groups people look at will grow faster with barbell training cos heavier.

 

 


Alright cheers for the info bro, defs stuff to keep in mind. Will probs keep doing both to get the best of both worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I train alone and believe dumbbells are significantly more dangerous than barbells, because the risk of dropping them is much higher.  For example in the dumbbell bench press, when you are exhausted and try going for one rep, and one arm fails, you can collapse the dumbbell onto yourself.  Also, when you drop one on yourself, you usually focus on that side and end up dropping the other side on yourself too!

I remember once I dropped a dumbbell doing bench press, and to avoid it landing on my ribs I lowered it down and it landed on my hip and hurt a hell of a lot more than I expected.

 

If money isn't an issue, I think you should get a power rack with spotters and use barbells for most stuff, a bonus is that if you feel safe, you can train harder.

 

Another example is something like shrugs, you can unexpectedly lose your grip and drop a dumbbell on your foot, where if you have a barbell, your other hand can help guide the fall away from your feet/body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come and train with me for a month free, and you won't lose motivation using your dumbbells and other equipment you've purchased.  I believe you can get results using dumbbells, bench and pull-up bar, and I'll explain why... lol.  

 

.. or I'll come train with you :).. I'll bring the protein shakes and pre workout... lol.  

 

You need a training partner mate...  as arnold said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×