Protein on a budget

urbano

For those on a budget how are you hitting your protein requirements without carbs and fats being  over-consumed ?

I have about $5-6 dollars per day for food.

I looked around online at other suggestions but many were US people and their food was a lot cheaper. Food here seems quite expensive.

Thanks for the reply. Sadly a container of protein powder blows the budget. I have ~ $30-35 for a week on food. 

A bit more researching today has made me think I may just go for oats,milk and  some  frozen peas. Maybe some Pam's peanut butter.

Yeah but the protein powder would be something you don't have to buy weekly, it may last you a month or two.

Justprotein or Nutrawhey for example (http://www.bodybuilding.co.nz/nutrawhey-whey-protein.html)

You can pickup Nutrawhey for $65 if you use the bb.co.nz code of the month for 5percent discount. 

Thats 75 servings of whey @ 24grams protein per serving... So 87 cents a serving for 24grams protein. Pretty good really.

Think per serve bro not per week. By not buying the protein powder it’s actually more expensive. Save up for it. Justprotein sells it by the kg it’s like $35. If you are broke you could just solely have that for your protein source. I have done before when I was a teenager and broke.

chicken breast.

1kg for $10-15. 40 odd g of protein per 150g. 

oats $2 750g bag

eggs. dont know how much they are since i get mine for free from my parents farm.

peanut butter $4 i like the countdown american style one.

$4 mixed frozen veg. under $5 for 1kg of broccoli.

You could probably get 100g of protein with a budget of $30.  $50 you could get 140-150g of protein.

I was at uni with 35$pw budget. Thats not what I could afford just the minimum contribution for flat groceries

500ml milk, 3 scoops whey = 75g protein

4 eggs = 21g protein

can get 1kg bag of sausages and 1kg bag of beef patties, chop them up put them in whatever.

Bread, oats (can blend in shake) also have more protein than some people would think as well. So does pasta and other grain based carbs.

Pretty sure that would fit in budget.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Black beans 1-1.50 a can each can is 30-40g protein with plenty of fiber, moderate carbohydrates and negligible fat.

Yeah, I was surprised at how low in carbs beans actually are. In fact, I decided the nutritional panel on my tin of Delmaine's mixed beans must surely have been wrong. I imagined they were all starchy carbs, but apparently not?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on a budget and my first meal is roughly 1100 cals. 3 pieces bread about 7g pro, 1 can 70c baked beans about 17.5g pro, 2 fried eggs about 10.8g pro and 1 fried sausage about 8.6g pro. I shop at countdown $1 and $2 loaves bread, 70c cans baked beans, 14 sausages for $6, 12 eegs for $3.25. Can't go wrong really, depends how many calories you need per day. Once your protein needs are met just Topup on fat and carbs as they are cheaper. Plus milk is fairly cheap and good nutritional value, just spread the 1 litre bottle over 3 days to have with coffees only like $2.27

That’s not how it works bro. 10.6g of protein from a processed fried sausage is not equal to 10.6g of protein from chicken breast

There is far more to nutrition than just calories. Once you have met your protein target just top it up with fat and carbs. That’s some of the worst advice I have read bro lol. You need good carbs and fats to get the most out of the protein you are consuming.

Everyone thinks nutrition is just that simple, that’s why their are so many social media nutritionists. Well they are wrong and they don’t know f*ck all.

IIFYM and IF style dont work for a lot of people. Everyone goes to them though because they like the sound of it and think it’ll be easier than learning and doing things properly. They just use it as an excuse and a way to justify carrying on their bad habits. Sometimes you’re just worse off with a little bit of information, and better just knowing nothing at all.

stock up on green or blue top budget milk depending on your goals. Freeze the bottles you don't use, and then thaw the bottle you use for the week, and def buy ice-cream, vanilla flavour.. yummy... drink & Eat that every other day and you'll be benching like me 150kg on a light day, playing basketball and rugby lol  :)... Hit me up for more tips :), re protein on a budget, I might even give you a bit of my protein for free, as I have a huge bucket lol ... oh and by the way, to all bodies are the same, so I'll need to give you free advice and suggestions based on your body type and genetic makeup lol.. obviously Taro is a must :) haha