NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Th0r

How effective are body weight programs?

Hi everyone,

How effective are body weight programs to build muscle?

Below is the body weight program I'm thinking of doing. I'm 92 kg and want to get down to 85kg.

Cheers

Screenshot_20171130-120515.jpg

4 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Lmao the jail cell method.

Unless actually in a cell, I'd look at a different plan.

That looks rubbish!  

You in jail OP?

Haha, nah I just don't have any equipment.

Do you know any good body weight programs?

Cheers

Find a bar down at a local park, do pull ups.  Something to do dips on.  That's a good start.  Sprints.  Ideally buy some Dumbbells so atleast can use those.

Hiit training will keep intensity high.  Uses intervals.  Basically a period of going 90-100%, then rest period where you're walking etc at say 20-40% intensity.  Repeat 10-15 times.  For example - Find a park, do sprints on the field. Sprint 100 m, walk back, repeat 15 times.  

Body weight programmes can be very effective for gaining muscle and losing fat. For example take a look at gymnasts, martial artists, and free runners.

The programme you posted looks a bit shit.

If main goal is to lose weight you should look at the food you are eating and see if there are some small changes you can make, don't go overboard and cut all sugar carbs and fats all at once, just little incremental changes over a longer period of time.

Stick to the basics if you have no gear 

Push ups, dips, chin ups,  box jumps, squat jumps, burpees and sit ups. 

Id suggest you invest in a barbell and some plates, look around online for a cheap second hand set. Even without a bench or rack you can perform a lot of fundamental exercises with a basic bar and a couple of plates

If you are DIY inclined have a look on the interweb for home made exercise gear it could be something as simple as filling up some 3ltr milk bottles with sand and putting them in a backpack for extra weight for chins and press ups.

Good luck

That program is suitable for very obese or elderly people who need to increase their mobility. If you fall under neither of those categories then i do not think its the best option.

Body Weight training can be beneficial though, i would focus more on things like pull ups, dips, etc... hard stuff :)