Coke Zero - Bad?

craig1973nz

Well, it's still highly acidic, so it's not great for your teeth. And there's a bunch of other crap in there, so obviously it's not as good as drinking water. But if you're asking us to quantify just how bad it is for you, I don't think anyone knows for sure.

In theory, the artificial sweetener should mean you don't have any insulin spikes. But I'm not even sure that's true. I heard a news article the other day saying that drinkers of Coke Zero (and similar sugar-free soft drinks) still had an increased risk of diabetes. Do you know anything about this, @eLm0?

What I say to my clients and apply myself is the very simple method of portion control and moderation lol. Artificial sweeteners can make the body retain water however if this is no issue to you I see no harm in having a can or two every now and then considering you are a normal person. I personally wouldn't go over a litre a day.. I feel so bloated when I do that.

11 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Do you know anything about this, @eLm0?

There is a huge variety of artificial sweeteners, aspartame being the most infamous (but the most well studied).

Coke Zero uses Sucralose and Acesulfame K.

Not all sweeteners are the same though so it doesn't make sense to bulk them all together.

Most won't give you that insulin spike (pretty much a myth from animal studies).

Most will both positively and negatively mess with your gut microbiome (which is critical to a lot of things like digestion, immunity, mood to name a few). 

Most protein powders are sweetened with sucralose, acesulfame K or a combination. Many people are sensitive to these sweeteners, this is why balance is moving away from them. The natural ones are sweetened differently.

If you've ever had an explosive stomach experience after taking something like a preworkout it could be because you are sensitive to these and they have a heap of artificial sweeteners to cover all the nasty tasting stuff in there.

Personally, my iron gut is ok with artificials, but many people experience this.

But like every toxic thing in the universe. It's the dose that makes the poison :)

• 9 months later...

No problem with sweeteners. That myth has been debunked many times.

People eat more because they get sweet cravings after drinking sweetened beverages and then just eat, meaning they are not controlling calorie intake. If you stay on your diet then you are 100% fine. I drink plenty of this stuff during off season and prep; I'm always the most conditioned guy on stage. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2017 at 10:28 PM, Biggerbythedaynz said:

i do drink zero, when i dont i drop 1-2kg in about two weeks, then when i drink it again i go up by the same amount.

Interesting. And are you sure all other factors are constant? eg, are you drinking Coke Zero because of sugar cravings that mean you're also eating more?

14 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Interesting. And are you sure all other factors are constant? eg, are you drinking Coke Zero because of sugar cravings that mean you're also eating more?

My wife thought i was mental when i suggested this as well, so we were ocd about meal prep, same portions meals etc.... done it a couple times and coke zero is added or taken away theres a fluctuation of 1.5-2kg. My water intake increases slightly too, with coke zero being the variable ive suspected the sodium,potassium and aspartame makes me a bit more thirsty than usual, so the added weight may be water retention. A side note on it teeth are whiter when not in consuming coke zero over a period of time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2016 at 11:28 AM, craig1973nz said:

Ok, So I've a slight sweet tooth and tend to drink a fair bit of Coke Zero (maybe a litre a day)

Its low in calories, and apart from the aspartame is there anything wrong in doing this? I.e spiking insulin all over the place?

It's fine.  

There's nothing wrong with aspartame in that dose and it's not fucking with your insulin.