NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
JD-Strength

The Agility Ladder Myth

17 hours ago, JD-Strength said:

Thanks for this. Not sure if I'm going in circles with this thinking, but do you think the reason higher level athletes can perform better on agility tests vs lower level counterparts is because they have a higher mastery of the ''agility skill'' e.g. side step, or a reflection of their better natural physical capabilities (fibre type differences etc)?

Also the differences in error rates on the steps are pretty interesting. The shuffle step seems to be the main form of cut performed in the NFL I've watched, and probably lends itself better to the tight areas with less open field, compared with a side step in rugby.

4 hours ago, Longboa said:

Thanks for this. Not sure if I'm going in circles with this thinking, but do you think the reason higher level athletes can perform better on agility tests vs lower level counterparts is because they have a higher mastery of the ''agility skill'' e.g. side step, or a reflection of their better natural physical capabilities (fibre type differences etc)?

Also the differences in error rates on the steps are pretty interesting. The shuffle step seems to be the main form of cut performed in the NFL I've watched, and probably lends itself better to the tight areas with less open field, compared with a side step in rugby.

Yep that probably plays a role in it but remember often elite players will score similar to sub elite players in COD tests so the physical role may not be as great. I think it comes down to elite players have greater knowledge of game specific situations and are better at recognising patterns of play (hence why they are at the top of their game).

Yep that's a good observation. You'll see lots of split steps in touch rugby due to the "slower" and evasive nature of the sport compared to rugby union or league. 

On 4/10/2016 at 8:53 AM, JD-Strength said:

Thanks for this, some interesting stuff, particularly about the forwards vs backs. Do you think centre of mass or gravity plays a significant role ability to apply force horizontally? Usain Bolt appears to start slower compared to other shorter sprinters but stride length seems to give him some advantage later on.

Also, would all of the exercises in that list be as effective for athletes performing very short sprints e.g. 4m tops at maximal effort (in my case running across a volleyball court)? How specific would exercises need to be in order to be most effective (medium weight 20m prowler vs heavy 5-10m prowler), or is it same same for 99% of the population?

Can't say I'm too sure about the COM question. He starts "slower" but reaches a higher max velocity later than anybody else through his ability to continually produce horizontal force and high velocities. There's a really good paper and book on that.

Distances, efforts and exercise would be a little different as sprinting doesn't come into play as it would during a larger field/court sport. In your instance, it's more being able to produce force quickly over a step or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4. So improving your ability to jump further/higher would be more beneficial than sprinting with a sled for 20m for developing that power. Exercises like hip thrusts, broad jumps will aid in the horizontal component then your classic squats and jumps will help your vertical stuff.  Then you've got your other stuff like hurdle hops etc for learning to produce that force quickly.

1 hour ago, JD-Strength said:

Can't say I'm too sure about the COM question. He starts "slower" but reaches a higher max velocity later than anybody else through his ability to continually produce horizontal force and high velocities. There's a really good paper and book on that.

I might have to have a hunt for that, cheers.

1 hour ago, JD-Strength said:

Distances, efforts and exercise would be a little different as sprinting doesn't come into play as it would during a larger field/court sport. In your instance, it's more being able to produce force quickly over a step or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4. So improving your ability to jump further/higher would be more beneficial than sprinting with a sled for 20m for developing that power. Exercises like hip thrusts, broad jumps will aid in the horizontal component then your classic squats and jumps will help your vertical stuff.  Then you've got your other stuff like hurdle hops etc for learning to produce that force quickly.

Makes a lot of sense, previously I'd always trained for power but not strength. Hoping to have a properly structured offseason this year.

Thanks for these articles some really interesting stuff. Will keep an eye out on your site

The paper is by Slawinski et al., 2015. How 100-m event analyses improve our understanding of world-class me's and women's sprint performance. Book is Applied Sprint Training by James Smith.

Yea definitely want to cover both ends of the power spectrum and not just focus on strength when sporting performance is the outcome. Are you in Auckland Longboa? I'm starting a sports academy here next week that may benefit you with having a properly structured offseason. Got one athlete involved so far whose competing at the World Half Ironman Champs in September so hopefully grow to developing athletes of all sports and levels!

On 4/12/2016 at 8:56 AM, JD-Strength said:

The paper is by Slawinski et al., 2015. How 100-m event analyses improve our understanding of world-class me's and women's sprint performance. Book is Applied Sprint Training by James Smith.

Yea definitely want to cover both ends of the power spectrum and not just focus on strength when sporting performance is the outcome. Are you in Auckland Longboa? I'm starting a sports academy here next week that may benefit you with having a properly structured offseason. Got one athlete involved so far whose competing at the World Half Ironman Champs in September so hopefully grow to developing athletes of all sports and levels!

Thanks for the heads up on book.

I am in Auckland, I train at netfit in ellerslie at the moment. Were actually just about to start preseason games this weekend, big event for us us nationals at the end of july (if we qualify). Not sure how much time I could commit but always keen to have a chat about programming for sure

35 minutes ago, Longboa said:

Thanks for the heads up on book.

I am in Auckland, I train at netfit in ellerslie at the moment. Were actually just about to start preseason games this weekend, big event for us us nationals at the end of july (if we qualify). Not sure how much time I could commit but always keen to have a chat about programming for sure

WTF?!?! Haha that's where I'm at and starting the academy out of! Find me on the trainer board thingy (James de Lacey) by the couch so you know who I am and come say hi :)

51 minutes ago, JD-Strength said:

WTF?!?! Haha that's where I'm at and starting the academy out of! Find me on the trainer board thingy by the couch so you know who I am and come say hi :)

Haha crazy, must've seen you at some point. For sure will do

22 hours ago, JD-Strength said:

WTF?!?! Haha that's where I'm at and starting the academy out of!

Love it! Gymnation does it again... building stronger athlete connections since 2004. :-D

On 4/14/2016 at 9:53 PM, JD-Strength said:

What time you usually in to train?

Varies a little bit. Only training vball mon nights with sat games so generally tues-thurs, either before work or after at around 6pm.

5 hours ago, Longboa said:

Varies a little bit. Only training vball mon nights with sat games so generally tues-thurs, either before work or after at around 6pm.

I'm in every night around that time so come say hi this week :)