NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Esports... now with drug testing

Someone told me about this a couple of days ago. I only half believed it, but it's true.

The Olympics aren't the only games with a drug problem... Esports has started introducing drug testing for its competitors! Turns out competitive gamers have been dosing themselves up with the ADHD medication Adderall prior to a tournament.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/gaming/esports-introduces-drug-tests-for-professional-gamers/news-story/4b34a7e0aacdd5baa3905155343a6fec

In reality I'm not sure how effective this is going to be. They only have to provide a note from their doctor stating why they need the medication. Still, pretty amusing...

15 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I can't get over how big professionally competitive gaming is becoming. I remember when gamers were nerds, and LAN parties were seriously uncool.

Do we have any gamers here?

i think donz used to be into it

i was when i was young but not remotely competitive

waste of time i reckon!

22 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I can't get over how big professionally competitive gaming is becoming. I remember when gamers were nerds, and LAN parties were seriously uncool.

Do we have any gamers here?

My brother use to be on a game called Runescape. Made like $100-200 a month playing it. 

Was spending close to 8 hours a day 7 days a week on it though, addiction at its finest. 

Not surprised, plenty of drugs out there just to keep you calm, keep the heart rate down, in a pressure situation with thousands watching you live, tens of thousands streaming and with a shitload of money on the line anything for a slight edge would help.

5 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Made like $100-200 a month playing it. 

Was spending close to 8 hours a day 7 days a week on it though, addiction at its finest.

If it pays you, it's not an addiction - it's a job!

4 hours ago, GyzzBrah said:

All ritalin does when gaming is make you thirsty and feel like taking a shit once you get a tolerance lol.
But would be good for all nighters etc..

Take it when having a night out on the brews heightens senses well! So I hear 

17 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

If it pays you, it's not an addiction - it's a job!

Well.... I could hardly call that a job 220+ hours for $100-200.... 

No thanks ? Was definitely addiction he wouldn't sleep or interact with people in true life just on the interwebs. Guess that's like most people now with social media anyway. 

Cast an eye around a restaurant and the majority of people playing on there phones 

26 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

Take it when having a night out on the brews heightens senses well! So I hear 

Gets you fully gone, because you dont notice you are drunk till you cant notice you are drunk lol.

Took 10mg once and passed out in the space of 30 mins from 6 beer and 5 shots. Would have taken me ages to drink that much normally.

6 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

My brother use to be on a game called Runescape. Made like $100-200 a month playing it. 

My brother was the same but with world of warcraft. Punched a hole in my parents wall when they took his computer monitor away from him haha.

I would take the internet cable out of the router and he would chase me around the house with the cricket bat. 

An old favourite when we were on dial up was to call people when he was playing would disconnect him from the Internet Lolz 

ima huge gamer (add me on steam Ilyese) anyway. people that just play games that are funny and okay at what ever game make so much money its ridiculous. One day i hope to have a beast as comp and stream. people donate thousands of dollars just to watch you play. one guy Summit1g started from nothing. streamed on twitch 8 hours a day. 2 years later people have donated 20k as one donation, now owns a 2015 GTR Nissmo and owns two houses and now is looking at buying a BMW for his wife at the age of 27 i think. Pro players are so good at what they do and there inhuman reactions no wonder  its hard to believe it wasn't hax lol. Counter Stike Pro players are the best and have the best community love it. also saw a RuneScape post. 99 cooking here level 94 with 82 strength.

Buys himself a US$150,000 car.

Buys himself a house

Buys himself another house.

Thinks for a bit, then buys the wife a car.

This man has his priorities sorted!

20 minutes ago, Ilyese said:

saw a RuneScape post. 99 cooking here level 94 with 82 strength.

I have no idea what this means. Are you good in the kitchen?

12 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Buys himself a US$150,000 car.

Buys himself a house

Buys himself another house.

Thinks for a bit, then buys the wife a car.

This man has his priorities sorted!

I have no idea what this means. Are you good in the kitchen?

There are different skills on the game; cooking, wood cutting, strength, attack, defense, magic, prayer etc. I think max level is 99 and no matter how how experience points you have can't level. 

You just cook lobsters and shit on the game to get experience. I played for a short time got some pretty average stats. Went my the account name Jimmybro or Jimmybro1 can't remember. 

Brother had four or five accounts all with levels in the 90s some were pkers and they fight for GP and shit like party hats lolz 

made a couple of grand selling 2-3 world of warcraft accounts about 7-8 years ago... there is a doco on those gamers, once they reach their mid-late 20's and their reaction time is not as fast as it was they are forced to retire, by then they have to face the real world and some just don't have mentality to deal with it since they're still stuck in online/kid mode 

27 minutes ago, crazyfacials said:

once they reach their mid-late 20's and their reaction time is not as fast as it was they are forced to retire

Do your reflexes really decline that much, that soon?

Surely it's nothing that caffeine and Adderall couldn't fix... :P

Put it this way, at the age of 16 I ended up being #4th in NZ in a quake 2 competition ... now days when/if I play something like counter strike I'd be lucky to survive for 5 minutes in the open lol... 

Maybe I should get Adderall so all this mean abuse from teens can stop online when I join their team!

3 hours ago, crazyfacials said:

Put it this way, at the age of 16 I ended up being #4th in NZ in a quake 2 competition ... now days when/if I play something like counter strike I'd be lucky to survive for 5 minutes in the open lol... 

Maybe I should get Adderall so all this mean abuse from teens can stop online when I join their team!

Difference being back then you would have played for hours on end constantly improving your game, these days you jump in for the odd game and have no where near the ability you once did purely because you don't play. Its like anything, if you stop something you were extremely skilled at for a long time you will suffer when going back to it.

Ilyse I wouldnt put all your hopes on becoming a big streamer, the guys that make money of it are not only good at what they do, they are entertainers which keeps people coming back. Its not purely about being good at a game, otherwise there would be tens of thousands of streamers making shitloads. The actual amount of streamers making a decent living of purely streaming is pretty minimal.