Fireman training

nelly bunton

Hey guys, not sure where to post this but I'm planning on getting into the fire service next year and was wondering what kind of training would be helpful. I usually run 531 so I'm thinking that would be fine with weighted carries and stair climbs added. But.. If there are any firefighters on this site it'd be cool to hear 1st hand what the best prep for the physical side of the job would be, cheers!

Have you looked into this much? It's very, very competitive. 700+ applicants (over 1000 some years) with 48 spots, of two 24 person intakes. I'd change your 'planning on getting into' to 'applying to get into'

Here's Stage 1 of the Fitness test, follow the link to Stage 2 and 3. http://www.fire.org.nz/Jobs/Career-Firefighters/testing/Pages/FitnessTest-Stage1.html

A lifter shouldn't have any problems with the strength components, though I'd say typical Strongman style training would be much more beneficial than typical Powerlifting training. Strong shoulders with a lot of endurance are a must, running out the hoses and then removing the water from them once done, as well as raising ladders are the hardest things I've come across as they require a steady, sustained effort. Cardio wise I've been doing a lot of trail running recently so haven't had any issues there, though if I do apply for a permanent position in the future I'd certainly include more loaded stair work, as it is the basis for the fitness testing. I'm a volunteer currently, might apply for a permanent position once I get sick of playing in the mountains and the snow. 

Yea I've seen the numbers on their website of how they cut down at each stage of testing. My wording obviously could have been better, I am set on applying, was just feeling around for training ideas from those in the know.. Thanks though, I'll definitely have a look into strongman training and that bb. com one, cheers

Just more of a focus on deadlifting and overhead work, plus a lot of loaded carries would help. Doesn't have to be a huge change in training, just emphasize those aspects a bit more. Are you a volunteer? If not I'd definitely recommend joining your local brigade. 

It's very, very competitive. 700+ applicants (over 1000 some years) with 48 spots, of two 24 person intakes.

Holy crap! So actually just getting to be a fireman is a huge achievement. :o

i know so many people who have been rejected, even some acting volunteers, borderline athlete level strength and fitness and clever as, and still get rejected so who knows how they even decide who gets in.

both of them got into police and a third got into army no trouble whatsoever so who knows what fire were actually looking for in applicants?

I remember about 6 years ago now, I made the mistake of volunteering (was one of the worst things I ever id, big forest fire in the far north over summer (deliberate).

Of course I was on holiday but my uncle was chief fire officer in KariKari, f*ck it was killer, end up being like 4 different brigades from all over that area taking part plus a couple of helicopters. When got there bout an hour later  crews had taken care of the initial "flash" of it and we ended having to finish it off and pulled 2x 8 hour shifts, so yeah you would have to be fit as a mofo. But the funny thing was the Kaitaia crew got there was basically in the thick of it all, and (a) they ran out of water, tank wasn't full.

and (b) when they realised this they made a run for it, and the ran out of diesel.. I dunno maybe its different in the country. (true story)

Yep least to say i was farting smoke for 3 days afterwards :-) , even had to wash the fire truck, roll up the hoses etc spose it was good that we got shouted a couple a pints down at the local when it was over. Beautiful part of the world aye pseudo :-)

I asked a mate who's been in the fire department for 20 years what he thought about getting through the test etc. This was his response:

"Not sure what they're looking for specifically at the moment. Seems to be a shifting target sometimes. My 2c is fitness and strength is probably the lesser weighting. Ability to maintain cool headed thinking under pressure, team ethic and mental flexibility are far more important skills that must be demonstrated. I'll have a chat with a guy I know in recruiting and see what he says."

If you want my opinion, I wouldn't waste my time.

I spoke last year to our Regional Commander and the NZ fire service finance manager, I stated:

The fire service no longer has the workload it once had, call outs are down, real fires are down year on year.

The fire service has been too successful in its firewise promotion in schools, the fitting of smoke alarms in most households, the fire retardant materials used in modern construction.

The safety design of motor vehicles, better braking, and suspension systems has resulted in fewer serious accidents, with fewer fatal crashes, less need for cutting gear, less need for firemen..

With less call outs, there has been a greater emphasis on needless procedure, checklists and paperwork, to keep bored firefighters busy..

The National Commanders 2020 vision is for the fire service to lead other emergency services forward into 2020.. It looks to me like they are desperately trying to diversify their role, as the fire budget is increasing but call outs are going down each year.

I can't see where they can diversify to? There is no way they can integrate with Police, NZ Coastguard are heavily regulated by Maritime NZ, The Ambulance Service has call outs increasing year on year, and receive around 2000 calls a day, in comparison fire get about 160.. So the Ambulance Service aren't about to allow the fire service control of their work.. Fire don't have the necessary medical training or experience to treat most jobs, typically it costs $12,000 to train the average EMT Ambulance Officer, and a minimum of 2 years study, why upskill firemen, it seems logical to have more Ambulance Officers...

The future for fire seems bleak, fewer house fires, minimal serious road traffic accidents, most of their work is lift assist for ambos, false alarm activation, barbecue fires, and traffic duty assisting Police at minor accidents...

What is disappointing is their huge embrace for the health and safety culture, it has shown to be a pansies charter for those with limited intelligence, mediocre physical attributes, skills and experience, and no bottle to hide behind when real jobs need addressing.

Anyone with greater skills, physical strengths, and real life experience, is hounded out on pathetic minor disciplinary issues of uniform, or procedure, because they stand out as better than they are, and show them up for what they are, "little big men in uniform" control freaks with no balls.. 

They dress up like day-glow fairies, surround themselves with their self created rules and regulations, cower in corners congratulating themselves on a job well done, because they all stayed safe..

Unfortunately no one gets rescued, because they're fucking cowards..!!

There are some decent lads in the fire service, but sadly its gone the way as most large organisations today, too much bureaucracy, crazy rules and regulations that don't seem to help anyone, and too many wankers in charge... 

A bit like the Monkey Tree of Life:

When you look down all you see is smiley happy faces.

When you look up all you see is arseholes..!!