NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Pseudonym

First XV drug use investigation signalled

An article in the Otago Daily Times today reports that Drug Free Sport NZ is investigating drug use in First IV rugby teams.

The head of Drug Free Sport New Zealand says he has concerns about supplement use by the country's top school teams.

The agency will now undertake a large survey on first XVs to gauge the use of supplements as players face pressures to get bigger.

The article is a bit confused – it talks about both supplements and anabolic steroids. On the one hand it says supplements have their place, and then it talks about schoolboys failing drug tests. I presume the concern is that legitimate, over-the-counter sports supplements like protein and creatine could end up being gateway drugs into steroids?

Here’s the article:

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/326532/rugby-first-xv-drug-use-investigation-signalled

What are your thoughts?

It's just people being beta as f*ck yet again. Im seriously worried whenever I see things like this that label ppl who lift and take dietary supplements as 'pressured' and shit. Leads to a negative image of weight training and possibly even leglislation against steroids that will only further harm drug users and nobody else (but they cant see past their noses on this). Right now nz has been pretty lenient on these issues, but it can change...

It's just people being beta as f*ck yet again. Im seriously worried whenever I see things like this that label ppl who lift and take dietary supplements as 'pressured' and shit. Leads to a negative image of weight training and possibly even leglislation against steroids that will only further harm drug users and nobody else (but they cant see past their noses on this). Right now nz has been pretty lenient on these issues, but it can change...

Wat? I think this is a legitimate study.

I think it's more about the culture in rugby. I know that they are all looking for an 'edge' but wouldn't go as far as to think they are on roids. Most likely hood more like pre workout things before games etc.

I think it's more about the culture in rugby. I know that they are all looking for an 'edge' but wouldn't go as far as to think they are on roids. Most likely hood more like pre workout things before games etc.

Mate you dont get it, im a student and you have no idea how shit these media articles are. To put things into perspective, they make the majority of (demasculine) society believe that just because people my age drink protein, use supps, train in the gym etc, that we all have body image issues and are using harmful substances and are at risk of recklessly abusing drugs, because we feel "pressured" by negative body image culture (lifting weights?)

Coincidentally this is the feminist narrative of males and the media is more than happy to add fuel to the fire.

I fully support education and knowledge, even if it breaks through the pussification standards set by society. So obviously teens should have access to knowledge of drugs, training, supps etc. But to say they are in "danger" of such things is pure stupidity.

Mate you dont get it, im a student and you have no idea how shit these media articles are. To put things into perspective, they make the majority of (demasculine) society believe that just because people my age drink protein, use supps, train in the gym etc, that we all have body image issues and are using harmful substances and are at risk of recklessly abusing drugs, because we feel "pressured" by negative body image culture (lifting weights?)

Coincidentally this is the feminist narrative of males and the media is more than happy to add fuel to the fire.

I fully support education and knowledge, even if it breaks through the pussification standards set by society. So obviously teens should have access to knowledge of drugs, training, supps etc. But to say they are in "danger" of such things is pure stupidity.

Your wild tangent suggests that you are still a student lol this hasn't come from the gym culture or feminist views... This has come from other sports such as the big rugby league peptide scandal. rugby wants to know what's going on at grass roots and is doing a survey to find out what the norm is. Are you referring to the investigation or the way the article is written?

Yeah, I thought this was particularly interesting:

Drug Free Sport New Zealand chief executive Graham Steel said, when contacted yesterday, the agency carried out 274 tests on rugby players last year out of a total of 1300 tests done on all sports in New Zealand.

The tests were on All Blacks, Super 15 players and ITM Cup players, with no tests below first-class level. Most of the tests were done out of competition.

So there's no testing, until you play at the ITM Cup level?

I look at it this way.

Professional athletes get paid to perform

Bodybuilders don't get paid and take heaps of gear

Lol if you think all athletes are natural

This! 

I know plenty of people competing at a high level that take anabolics. A friend was running in the common wealth games and was taking AAS to help performance and boost his personal training business.   

Yeah, I thought this was particularly interesting:

Drug Free Sport New Zealand chief executive Graham Steel said, when contacted yesterday, the agency carried out 274 tests on rugby players last year out of a total of 1300 tests done on all sports in New Zealand.

The tests were on All Blacks, Super 15 players and ITM Cup players, with no tests below first-class level. Most of the tests were done out of competition.

So there's no testing, until you play at the ITM Cup level?

I heard Drug Free Sport has a hard time drug testing teams like the all blacks... 

Yeh I know few if guys who take anabolics with the main intention to  look good, not for  performance playing sport. It just happens better performance in sports can be a "unfortunate" side effect of wanting to look good. 

They still play rugby league in the weekend becuase the enjoy the game, and social aspect of it. Sometimes in the lower grades teams can be short of player numbers.

Is it really cheating to play social touch rugby this summer cuase I happen to be on cycle ?

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/club-player-banned-drug-violation-6196168

Reiri, 35, who played club rugby in Queenstown but has since moved to Christchurch, admitted the violations.

Reiri says he was recommended the product by a friend, having reduced the amount of league he was playing and dedicating himself to getting bigger at the gym.

He said that was the reason for using the drugs, not to improve his performance on the pitch, an explanation the tribunal did not accept