Training with Cirque du Soleil

Pseudonym

Last week I went out to talk to the performers in Cirque du Soleil's Totem show.

It was brilliant. Really neat guys, and super-keen to talk about their training. Although everyone determines individually the type of training that suits them best, everyone seems to take a really analytical approach to it. They reminded me of powerlifters in that sense.

They particularly wanted to demonstrate the stuff they do for pre-hab - ie, keeping themselves injury-free (not easy when you're performing 10 shows a week). So that's what we did.

In the end, we came out with so much footage, I'm going to have to turn it into two separate videos. So here's the first one. Hope you guys find it as interesting as I did. I had a lot of fun... it was awesome!

I tried to ask all the questions you guys gave me, but in chopping down 90 mins of footage to 10, not all of it made the cut. If there's anything you wanted to know that I haven't included, ask me here.

BTW - if you haven't seen TOTEM yet, you should. It's an amazing show for anyone, but for fitness fans who know just how hard some of this stuff is, it's spectacular. TOTEM is on until September 28 at Alexandra Park.

Might try and bring a few of those into my training .  Is that you in the vid then Pseudo?   Did you struggle to get a handstand pushupBiggrin

Yeah, it's definitely given me renewed enthusiasm for core training (previously it's been pushed aside for more interesting exercises). There are some good ones in there, for sure.

I'd have been keen to do handstand pushups, although I still need help with this whole balancing thing. But actually neither of us did them then - not sure why, maybe we were just running out of time.

Realtalk - cool! I think you'll enjoy it. Have you seen any Cirque shows before?

Absolutely blown away by the performance. Not sure how some of the things they did were even possible!

The girl in pink in the beach scene would pretty much wipe the floor with 99% of figure competitors...I just couldn't find the right time to ask her to marry me LOL

All round display of athleticism.

Did you spot the guy wearing an Inzer quick release powerlifting belt Tom LOL

Nah bro I dnt own a lifting belt so wouldn't know what they look like.

but yeah that blonde chick was mean and those other two guys in board shorts lol they were shredded... So athletic.

was awesome yeah, my fav part the start on the gymnastics bars. That is very cool to watch live, iv only ever seen it on television before.

daz, I saw the movie on sky other night... It's shit. Live show ftw

but yeah that blonde chick was mean and those other two guys in board shorts lol they were shredded... So athletic.

She's actually a top fitness competitor. I can't find her name right now, but apparently she's repeatedly won top spot in the top amateur shows in the US. Does no extra training, just turns up, and all her competitors are like, "Damn, it's her again!"

The other two guys are the other ones I interviewed. I'm editing it tomorrow - watch this space. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gymnation's second Cirque du Soleil interview is up!

In this one we're talking to rings gymnasts Gael and Olli about their workouts and training. Oh, and how they stay so ridiculously shredded. (Seriously... this video's worth watching for Gael's abs alone!)

Cirque du Soleil's TOTEM is on at Alexandra Park until Sept 28 - so if you haven't seen it yet, you've only got a week left. Go to it.

i went as soon as it opend in NZ i hve been to a couple of other ones and im like a wide eyed childe filled with astonishment each and every time i go. yeah that one girl so muscular so awesome - actually there were a few ladies in the show i would have gladly swapped my wife for ehehe.

love how the clowns stole peoples popcorn and gave ti to everyone else in intermission funny guys . really know how to entertain for sure.

Yeah, she'd have been a great interviewee, but unfortunately she wasn't training that day. Next time!

I just did another of Guilhem's back/core sessions tonight. Man, that first exercise - 3.5 mins each side - is a killer! Good though... you guys should try it, I'd be keen to know what you think.