NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
fast_furious

Optimal training for Rugby given my circumstances

Hello everybody,

My preseason consists of a poor diet, unfrequent visits to the gym and only social touch games for cardio. Now in saying that I'm not totally out of shape..... I Can play Senior B level rugby fine. I have had an injury that will put me out for 5 weeks. Given this time, what can I do that will help me get fit in the best way possiable. I am able to do incline walks, jog, and H.I.I.T on a stationary bike but nothing else. Information on what to do, how often in the day and how many times a week will be much appreciated. Thanks

Another rugby player - if this keeps up, we'll have enough to form a team! Welcome, bro!

First of all, clean up your diet. If you've already identified it as a problem, that's a no-brainer.

Now, when you say you can do "incline walks, jog, and H.I.I.T on a stationary bike but nothing else" - that seems pretty restrictive. Why can't you do anything else? What is your injury?

Hopefully! You can be the captain lol good to be here. With a good diet, how much of a difference does that make on fitness? I dislocated my shoulder so weights for upper body is out of the picture as well as doing running H.I.I.T

Yeah, ok, a dislocated shoulder would definitely limit the options. No running, no rowing, nothing that moves the shoulder, I guess...?

A good diet - well, if you're lean it's easier because you're not carrying any extra weight. So although it may not affect your fitness directly, it will help. The only thing is, depending on what position you play, weight may be an advantage - so you might not want to lose too much. Just need to find a happy medium here.

But certainly H.I.I.T. is good - especially on the bike, where you can give it 100% effort without using your shoulder. Have you got a good HIIT routine, or do you want some suggestions?

The other thing you might like to try is a sort of HIIT routine, but using the leg press machine. Pick a weight that you could do 15 reps with, then stop at 10-12. Rest for 30-60 seconds, then repeat. Do 10 sets, and see how you feel.

Running is fine but def no rowing or sprinting. I player center and weigh 93Kg. Don't have any routine or anything planned so suggestions would be awesome on what to do, how many days a week to do the exercises and how often during the day given the free time I now have. I won't have any acess to weights. I won't be joing a till end of April. Thanks

Running is fine but def no rowing or sprinting. I player center and weigh 93Kg. Don't have any routine or anything planned so suggestions would be awesome on what to do, how many days a week to do the exercises and how often during the day given the free time I now have. I won't have any acess to weights. I won't be joing a till end of April. Thanks

I think you meant to post this from your "fast_furious" account, mate?

I think you meant to post this from your "fast_furious" account, mate?

LOL